Increase font size
Topic Title: Disconnecting ATX
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/14/2004 06:47 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/14/2004 06:47 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
inusg

Hello

My PC is posessed - I'm sure. After removing the power cord from the PSU (300W), one needs to disconnect and reconnect the ATX connector from the mobo to get the machine starting again. Spec's are:

AMD 64 3200 CPU
ASRock K8S8X1 M/Board
Samsung 256 DDR Dual Channel Ram
Samsung SATA 80Gb Drive
AOpen 8x DVD+/- Writer
AOpen 300w Case
AOpen Floppy drive
Rectron ISDN int Modem

I tried all jumpers and and the supplier says I fried the board because of oversize screws shorting out the mobo on the chassis. The machine works fine once it starts up and I had it running for 48 hours plus without any problem.

Could it be the PSU not giving enough amps through to start. Could it be the BIOS not clearing information when powering down.

ASRock doesn't seem to have a decend support structure to get to when we have problems.

Please help!!!

Inus
 06/14/2004 07:00 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

QUOTE the supplier says I fried the board because of oversize screws shorting out the mobo on the chassis.
Shorting-out *can* prevent your motherboard from starting/POSTing, but it's unlikely to cause permanent damage.
Do make sure your motherboard is not shorting out by removing it from your case and setting up everithing on a bench or piece of cardboard.
QUOTE Could it be the PSU not giving enough amps through to start.
Yes. Most likely, your PSU is too weak.
I've had a similar issue with an A64 3000+/Asus K8V SE deluxe and a cheap 300W PSU - it would POST once in about ten attempts...

I suggest you get a new PSU from a good brand(e.g. Antec, Enermax) with atleast 20A on the +12V rail.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 06/14/2004 07:41 AM

Author Icon
inusg

http://english.aopen.com.tw/pr...ower...r/ATX-300GU.htm' ">http://english.aopen.com.tw/pr...ts/power/ATX-300GU.htm

I had a look at the PSU specs from the URL above and it looks just too Weak. I'm trying a 400W PSU later today and hopefully it will eradicate the problem.

Inus
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information