AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Skipping Sound
Topic Summary: is /usepmtimer the answer?
Created On: 04/15/2009 07:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/15/2009 07:53 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
_alphaBeta_

On some newer games, I experience skipping sound on intro/cut movies. In most cases, sound during 3D gameplay is fine. I'm using onboard REALTEK (ALC850) sound with the motherboard below.

ASUS hasn't put an update out for their sound in years, and the latest version from REALTEK has not helped the problem. I've read that adding the /usepmtimer to the end of the boot.ini file has helped some with this similar problem. From the reasearch I've done so far, it doesn't seem to affect single-core processors. Anyone know more about this?

System Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 FX-57
Asus A8N-E
AMD 64 FX-57 2.8 GHz
Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB
Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Windows XP
 04/16/2009 04:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Coffeyj
Lurker

I have a Asus board myself and don't experience any stutter. RealTek,altho may be slow to update thier drivers usually arent that bad.

Try buying a value Soundblaster card and see if it changes,other than that I don't know atm,maybe someone that does will answer soon.

There could be a lot of reasons why you get stutter,fragged hard drive,overheating of the video card/cpu to cause it to slow down below recommended specs for the game,etc.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information