Increase font size
Topic Title: What should i BUY? NEED HELP
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/28/2004 05:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/28/2004 05:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pakkapon

First tyme posting ever, i will try to keep it short. Now, i have xp2700, radeon 9700pro, crucial 512mb pc2100, Gigabyte 7a vaxp, and 120 maxtor HD, audigy 2 zs gamer. my purpose of using computer is mostly gaming, wathcing dvd, light video/photo editing. im planning to buy a new computer jsut because i want to and i feel like i need to. so here are questions:
1.) should i get my computer parts now or next year around march/april? i ask this coz im wondering if the price might drop or new technology will be introduced on amd line. and my computer is still not that far behind yet, i think.

2.) if i get it, i want to get athlon 64, is it better than getting intel? im planning to do some serious oc.

3.) li want my computer to be silent or near silent since it ll be in my bedroom. i am planning to watercool it, for my oc and keep it quiet. and i want to set my hd to run raid 0 jsut coz it sounds cool, and wonder if that would improve system performance coz i heard mixed things about that.

4.) with budget fo 1500 dollars, i want cpu, mobo, rams, video card, 2 sata harddrive, watercool stuff. is 1500 too little? i want like good stuff of evrything n i wanna be sure coz this current system is not working as well as i hoped. and i need you guys feed bak on wat would u guys buy, like parts and stuff.

thank u for helping me people. i have been reading around for a while but it kinda different evrywhere so i dont know who and where i can trust. thank you in advance.
 09/29/2004 05:53 AM

Author Icon
dav

my thoughts:

1) new technology is always introduced so it is meaningless to me to wait for price drop. i would just buy it when I need it.

4) US$1500 is enough for some mid-high end stuff, and absolutely not enough for all highest end parts.

-------------------------
A64 3500+
THERMALRIGHT XP-120
ASUS A8V DELUXE REV 2.0 + GIGABYTE K8NSNXP-939
A-DATA VITESTA DDR600 512MB x 2
GEIL VALUE PC3200 (DDR400) CL2.5 512MB x 2 (SOLD)
XFX GF6800 ULTRA

http://cuhk.s5.com/system.html' ">http://cuhk.s5.com/system.html
 09/29/2004 03:32 PM

Author Icon
Cleric

if you move a lot i would advise against water cooling....dont know if you do

new tech is always coming out if you always wait cause something is on the horizon than you will never buy. just take the jump with something you are happy with

why raid 0? it provides no advantages to gaming i have seen two different studies arive at the same conclusion. if you do mass photo eating or application ie datatbases and such than raid provides some advantages.

as far as watercooling i here that zalman (i think) has a fanless water cooler that is supposed to work well.

good luck

-------------------------

THANKS azn
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information