Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD 64 X2 6000+ cpu runs up to 100% constantly
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/10/2009 11:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/10/2009 11:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
PureVision

Hello everybody,
I bought a used desktop last week and it's been a nightmare ever since.
It came with Vista X64 installed in french language. Since I don't speak french i formatted the drive and installed xp on it. Just the 32bit version.

It's been running slow, lagging with everything i do. CPU spikes to 100% with almost every program i try to use, including IE, FireFox, ...

When i start it up it seems to run good for a few minutes, not lagging too much. Could it be running to hot? Or mabye some other problems?

I'm really going crazy here. Maybe you guys can help me find problem.

My specs:
CPU: DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Motherboard: Asus M2N-MX SE PLUS
Graphics: Nvidia geforce 8600 GTS

Here is a small report from everest ultimate: http://www.mediafire.com/?mkjyzzqlzqn

I hope this already helps to find the problem.

I know my way around a computer a little but when it comes to bios-settings and hardware I'm must admit i'm a noob.

I hope you guys can help me...
If there is something you want me to do or post let me know.

Thanks
 09/10/2009 01:25 PM

Author Icon
dirtyvu

X2 6000+ 3.1GHz 89W
AMD 4670
Windows 7 RC1 64-bit (x64)
ECS NFORCE6M-A (V2.0)
8 GB RAM

Hi, I noticed a similar problem with my AMD setup. After running my CPU at 100% for awhile, my system process would spike to 100% and overtake all other running tasks. 100% CPU Usage by NT Kernel & System. I thought it was a virus problem but I ran Avast, Avira, and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and found nothing. Rebooting the computer didn't do anything. My system process would spike to 100% and running other tasks was impossibly slow. I think it has to do with an overheating problem because if I shut down the computer and wait. and then restart, the problem goes away.

If you find a solution to your problem, please let me know.

Edited: 09/10/2009 at 01:41 PM by dirtyvu
 09/10/2009 04:09 PM

Author Icon
PureVision

The strange thing is that the cpu only goes to 100% when i'm trying to use a program. When I'm doing nothing it just idles at 1 or 2%.
 09/10/2009 04:10 PM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

PV, did you reinstall all relevant latest drivers for your motherboard and graphic card?
Take from www.asus.com and www.nvidia.com

Can use ASUS probe to monitor temps.

Also install the AMD processor driver(www.amd.com)

-------------------------
 09/10/2009 04:32 PM

Author Icon
PureVision

The latest drivers from asus and nvidia were installed. The AMD processor driver was also installed together with the dualcore optimizer.

I installed the ASUS probe like you suggested and the temps are CPU: 48°C and MB: 35°C while not using the computer.
This is with the sidecover off the computer.
 09/10/2009 06:15 PM

Author Icon
dirtyvu

Originally posted by: PureVision

The strange thing is that the cpu only goes to 100% when i'm trying to use a program. When I'm doing nothing it just idles at 1 or 2%.

I find that if I use casual low-CPU programs, everything is fine. But if I do a high stress program such as video encoding, I will run into the 100% system NT kernel & system problem and then need to shutdown and boot up. It's not even a long shutdown. After it shuts down, I can press the power button to turn it on and the problem goes away. So i'm beginning to think it's not a heat issue but something else.
 09/10/2009 10:18 PM

Author Icon
Kawkybeast

PureVision
I run a setup similar to yours and have never encountered the problem you are having, my cpu will spike to 100% when a program begins but will then level off. I assume the problem you are having is a continuous cpu spike of 100%?. I have however been battling excessive heat generated by my computer but have never had problems with shutdowns. I believe that my heat issue is due to the fact that i am running a 125w CPU on a 89W mother board (Asus M2A-VM - similar to your model). I have experienced temps well into the 60 degree C range so temperature is probably not your issue.
While searching the web i came across this site http://ncix.com/products/index...anufacture=ASUS

which states in the cpu specs "NOT Compatible with Athlon X2 6000+ (as of Bios 0302)". Not sure whether this is correct or not, but that may be something you want to check into.

Edited: 09/10/2009 at 10:27 PM by Kawkybeast
 09/11/2009 03:25 AM

Author Icon
PureVision

Hey, thx for the answer. When i start using a program i get continuous spikes of 100% cpu, but the computer never shuts down. If i stop using the computer for a few minutes it drops back down to 1 or 2% cpu-usage.

I didn't see that "NOT Compatible with Athlon X2 6000+ (as of Bios 0302)". At the moment I have bios 0602. Would this mean that i could only use a old bios? Like bios 0209? Should i try flashing it with the old version? What do you guys think here?
 09/11/2009 12:47 PM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

I would stay at the latest BIOS version.

Did you try Process Explorer to see what is consuming processor capacity?

09/11/2009 03:12 PM

Author Icon
PureVision

I installed it and the programs that I'm using at that moment consume the processor capacity.
Msn, firefox, Lightroom, Bridge, ... Doesn't matter what program I'm using...
pretty annoying considering i bought this desktop to do my photo-editing on.
My old P4-notebook runs faster than this desktop
 09/14/2009 11:52 AM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

So p. explorer does not reveal what exactly is taking the most of the capacity? A single program or interrupts?
Is the onboard graphics disabled in BIOS or is it automatically switched?

09/14/2009 04:39 PM

Author Icon
PureVision

P. Explorer does show what is taking most of the capacity. Let's say i have P. Explorer open and browsing the web with firefox then P. Explorer would consume about 30% and Firefox about 70%. System and other processes would be consuming a "normal" amount, let's say around 5% total.

How do I see this in Bios? Is it under the advanced tab?

I've got another question... I think with this setup i should have 800Mhz RAM, am I correct? But i saw that my computer has 1066Mhz RAM from Kingmax. Could this be part of the problems that I'm having. And if so, what kinda of RAM would I need to put in my computer?
 09/15/2009 02:27 AM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

I do not know that board but had a brief look at the manual. It does not have a separate option to turn off onboard vga.
There seem be a fair amount of other settings though that can affect performance.
Using 1066 RAM in this board is ok, but for optimal performace at e.g 800MHz there may be params/timings that can be manually tuned.

Maybe someone here or at the www has some guides as to set up bios on this board.

09/16/2009 02:17 PM

Author Icon
PureVision

Ok, so after searching some more on the internet I found out that alot of people are having problems with the combination of the Asus M2N-MX SE Plus motherboard and the AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ processor.
I found a solution for my problem. I downloaded a program called Crystal CPUID and set the multiplier to 15x and the Voltage(VID) to 1.200V.
Only annoying thing is that i have to do this every time i start up the computer. So I'm not so happy with this solution but it works for now...

On the other hand now that i know that the MB is the problem, I'm just gonna change the MB
So I opened a new topic to ask the advice from you guys on what to buy.
 09/16/2009 02:48 PM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

Only annoying thing is that i have to do this every time i start up the computer.

I think RMClock can do the same, but you can set it to launch at windows startup, so no need to manually set it at every boot.

btw, does the following problem&solution apply also in your case? http://forums.amd.com/forum/me..._key=y&keyword1=M2N-MX

09/17/2009 03:38 AM

Author Icon
PureVision

I haven't tried that solution. I don't have a fan laying around to test it with and I'm not so keen on trying the whole ductape-setup
If I need to buy a new fan for this i might as well spend a little more and buy a new MB, at least then i'm sure the problem will be completely solved.
Thanks for all the help
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information