Topic Title: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4000+ keeps overheating
Topic Summary: Don't know what to do next
Created On: 10/25/2009 10:13 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
Answer This question was answered by grandmeaulne, on Monday, December 7, 2009 7:17 AM

Answer:
Jaekus, I finally got through to registering from my office computer. But the form indicated my CPU was no longer covered by warranty. I called the phone number instead, and the rep was very helpful and honoured the warranty by phone. I returned the CPU, and got the new one back within a week. I'm monitoring with Core Temp and will see what happens. So far so good.
 10/25/2009 10:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Jaekus

My CPU keeps overheating. When it gets to around 80 degrees celcius it shuts down without a shut down sequence.

I've removed the heatsink, reapplied thermal paste, cleaned any dust from the heatsink and fan, put it back on, taken the side off the computer case and it still gets hot if I do things like use Facebook apps or run an AVG virus scan. Playing games of course makes it do the same thing.

If I close the browser or anything that uses the processor, the temp starts dropping straight away till it gets to around 54-56 degrees celcius. So now if I want to do any of these things I have to keep Everest open so I can monitor the temp and if it gets up towards 70 degrees celcius I stop what I'm doing and wait for it to cool.

I haven't done anything new to my system for months, it just started doing this a month ago.

Can anyone please help?

ASUS M2n-MX SE motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4000+ CPU
2x 1gb DDR2 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT vid card (1gb)
Windows XP Home
 10/28/2009 05:45 PM

Author Icon
bobyt1630

I have been having the same problems as you are having. Mine started about a week ago. I have a Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4200+ which I received as a warranty replacement about a year ago and never installed. I bought a used upgraded mother board on Ebay that came with a 4000+ single core. and was using it. I decided to upgrade my video cards, I have an sli mobo, so at the same time I put in the new cpu. it has been working ok for about a month but now I get the over heat problem. I have Replaced the heatsink and fan twice but that doesn't seem to solve the problem. I play World of Warcraft and after about 10 minutes it will just shut down completely. Tonight I am going to put back the 4000+ and see if that solves it. if it does I'll know it's a bad cpu if not it my be an under powered PSU. I'll let you know.
 10/28/2009 06:06 PM

Author Icon
PC-GURU -
Lurker

test your 12+ rail on your SPU. 12+ starts to struggle GPU and CPU will overheat.

Remember to not use any more then a small grain of rice of cooling paste and let it spread its self.

Check bios and make sure smart fan is off

Check and make sure bios has set the right vcore for the CPU.

Ya know the basics first then let us know how you make out from there.

To test the PSU, just load it down with a game and test the 12+ rail via 4 pin molex via yellow and black wire.

you want 12 volts under load or more.

-------------------------
AMD phenom II 1090T @ 4.23 Ghz custom water cooled
Asrock 890 FX deluxe 3 mother board
4 GB DDR 3 1600 @ 1688 Mhz 7 7 7 24 T1 2688 Mhz NB
2x 1 TB WD Sata III 64 mb cache HDD,s raid 0
2x 5870 HD @ 1015/1300 Asus reference
Dual OS win 7 x64 ultimate & win 7 x32 Ultimate (bench os)
 10/28/2009 06:10 PM

Author Icon
SlayerX
Elite

What's your cpu voltage at?

PII 1100T (Extinct)
Asus M4A78T-E (should be Extinct)
4Gb of Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz DDR3 (Going strong)
2x1GB 5850's (On their last lags)
Corsair HX850W (Awsome)
NZXT Phantom case (too ***** big)
 10/28/2009 10:54 PM

Author Icon
bobyt1630

I started out tonight by downloading core temp to test the temps on my cpu. While just at idle core#0 was 52C core#1 was 47C, Fired up wow in window mode to watch temps. immediate jump core#0 to 90C, core#1 only went to 70C, I shut down the game. system started to cool off voltages were at 1.35 on both cores when I started but in game could only monitor temps on task bar. I then shut down the computer for about 5 minutes was going to change cpu to 4000* single core. but I remembered a amd utility I saw earlier about equalizing the core usage in games, thought I'd download it and try that first. computer refused to boot. had to change to 4000+ to get to boot. Now with wow running full 100% cpu usage core temp maxed out at 61c. I think I have a bad cpu, 1 core is overheating causing the second get hot slowing the system down. then shuting it off. I'm going to try to rma the cpu. It was a replacement for a bad one i sent in last December.

By the way the core temp right now is only 44C.

My system info
ASUS A8N32-sli DELUX motherboard
2x BFG GTS-250 1GB VIDEO CARDS
3GB PC3200 DDR RAM DUAL CHANNELED
2X 250GB SEAGATE SATA 2.0 HD RAID 0 (STRIPE)
700W GENERIC PSU
 10/28/2009 11:04 PM

Author Icon
Jaekus

I've reapplied thermal paste twice, now it's idling around 44-46C. I thought it was fixed as it seemed to get no higher than in the 50s but just now it got up to 77C whilst playing facebook poker before I shut down and reapplied an even smaller amount of thermal paste (though the last lot seemed fine when I removed the heat sink). Idling around 46C right now.

I have the side off, dust removed, fan running at full speed, smart fan turned off in the BIOS. I'm not sure how to check my power info though.
 10/29/2009 09:01 PM

Author Icon
bobyt1630

Jaekus Google "Core Temp" its a free program that you can run while your working different apps. its small and it will tell you what temp all your cores are producing not just the cpu it self. You have 2 cpu cores within 1 chip and 1 can be bad and the chip still operate. My athlon 64 X2 4200+ went bad just as your describing. I found out about Core Temp in another forum and downloaded it. and found out my core#0 was pushing 90C While Core#1 was only 70C. I contacted AMD about this and they are warranting the chip. The temp problem was when playing a graphic intensive game. MY chip got so hot it shut down my computer. then wouldn't restart for about an hour till it cooled down. The core temp Program will also give you voltage readings on you cpu.
 10/30/2009 12:48 AM

Author Icon
Jaekus

Here's an image, what do you think?

I reapplied even less thermal paste and it's been barely over 50C, but this may shed new light.

10/30/2009 01:51 PM

Author Icon
bobyt1630

Jaekus looks like core#1 is running hotter than core#0 . Try this start core temp then click the "-" sign in the upper right corner. on your task bar it will show both your core temps. If you auto hide your task bar right click it with your mouse pointer somewhere in a unused area, then click properties, un-click auto-hide, and click keep task bar on top. this way while your running your games or other apps you can watch your temps. then run you face-book poker and see if one core gets hotter than the other. if it does its more than likely a bad cpu. If the cpu is less than 3 years old it is still under warranty and AMD will replace it for free. Even if you think its out of warranty you can try using their warranty registration area and request an RMA, you never know it may still be.
 10/30/2009 02:19 PM

Author Icon
bobyt1630

Jaekus
My system is presently running on a 4000+ single core chip. The highest temp I have gotten from it at 100% load is 62C since I put it in. I have received a RMA from AMD on my Athlon 64 X2 4200+ dual core because of the overheat problem. My chip is older than yours it is a 939 socket version and yours is the next generation AM2, so I believe yours should be in warranty. It will take about 2 to 3 weeks to complete the process. I should also mention that the chip I am returning was a warranty replacement. that I received about a year ago and didn't use till about a month ago. The temps on mine went all the way to 92C on core#0 and 70C on core#1 with the same fan and heat-sink that I'm using on the 4000+.
I hope this all helps
 10/30/2009 10:38 PM

Author Icon
Jaekus

Ok... I didn't buy the computer, my girlfriend gave it to me after she bought a laptop for uni as my old one was a P4 that I got just so I could run things after moving interstate.
Anyway, I don't have any paperwork etc. for warranty. How can I claim when I only own the chip?
 10/31/2009 03:31 AM

Author Icon
bobyt1630

Jaekus
They don't ask for receipts or anything as long as the model# and serial# fall within their warranty period they will warrant it. I have done one and so has my son, its easy. The numbers are on top of the chip. go to the amd web site. support then warranty area register the chip for rma. if its within the warranty period they will e-mail you with an approved rma and instructions on how to return it. they even pay for shipping. I don't even think you have to tell them when you bought it, there is a place to put it. but if your not sure just guess, I'm sure your girl friend will know.
If your not sure of the chip serial# there is even a link to show you where to look. Be sure your using internet explorer. the site is setup for it. I tried with firefox and it didn't work the first time. when I hit continue it didn't do anything. switched to IE went right through.
 10/31/2009 03:35 AM

Author Icon
bobyt1630

By the way all they do is a physical check of the cpu. If there is no visible damage. then they replace it. so be carefull and don't bend or brake any pins.
Take care and good luck
 11/09/2009 07:42 PM

Author Icon
Jaekus

I reapplied some thermal paste two weeks ago and it seemed to fix the problem, getting no hotter than 51C as in the above pic.

But in the past two days it's getting up to 100C on both cores, with core#0 getting slightly hotter than core#1 (108 to 97C respectively).

This is the question noone seems to be able to answer. I reapply thermal paste, it fixes the problem, then starts again a couple weeks later.

Does anyone have any solutions?
Is my heatsink faulty?
Should I try a different brand of paste?
Is it the connection between the heatsink and CPU or is it giving a faulty reading?

When it was at 100C the heatsink was definitely not that hot to touch, considering 100C is boiling point for water it would've been around half that.
 11/14/2009 05:34 AM

Author Icon
Matijapkc

I'm dealing with my processor using room fan... It's about 40cm... It keeps my CPU cold as winter.

And how did you get the low and high readings? I get only one reading.

I HATE OVERHEATING!
Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2611MHz
ATI Radeon HD4650 512MB
2GB RAM DDRII 667MHz
MAXTOR SATAII 160GB
 11/14/2009 10:48 AM

Author Icon
grandmeaulne

Wow, thank you very much! You described my problem, offered a solution, and now I know what it is! I was going crazy trying to figure out what was going on with my computer.
 11/15/2009 11:23 PM

Author Icon
grandmeaulne

OK, I'm trying to register into AMD's warranty service page, but no matter what I type for user name and password, it keeps telling returning me to the same registration page, as if my combination was not working. I just gave up. Am I illeterate, or am I missing something?
 11/17/2009 06:31 AM

Author Icon
Jaekus

Originally posted by: Matijapkc

I'm dealing with my processor using room fan... It's about 40cm... It keeps my CPU cold as winter.

And how did you get the low and high readings? I get only one reading.

I've got a dual core and it's reading the temps of both cores.

I've reapplied the paste twice again and it's still getting hot. The weather has been pretty hot lately as we're getting into summer, but noone else's computer I'm in contact with has any issues due to heat.
 11/17/2009 06:42 AM

Author Icon
Jaekus

Originally posted by: grandmeaulne

OK, I'm trying to register into AMD's warranty service page, but no matter what I type for user name and password, it keeps telling returning me to the same registration page, as if my combination was not working. I just gave up. Am I illeterate, or am I missing something?

I keep getting the same problem, I gave up after about a dozen attempts.
 11/17/2009 07:55 AM

Author Icon
Jaekus

Here's a reading I took just now. All I was doing was playing online poker on facebook. Notice how hot the cores got.

I reapplied thermal paste 45 minutes beforehand, have the side of the case off with the heatsink fan running at maximum PLUS a 40cm room fan turned on the highest setting about 2 feet pointing directly at the open side of the computer case. It still got to a ridiculous tempertaure.

Now I can't register to get a warranty claim either as the site won't let me. I'm thinking of just giving up and buying a new CPU. VERY FRUSTRATING!!!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information