Increase font size
Topic Title: MB won't boot with Athlon 64 Processor
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/28/2004 10:45 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/28/2004 10:45 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
rkoenn

I purchased a MSI Via MB a few months back and a boxed Athlon 64 3000+. When I set up the system, the machine would not cold boot (blank screen and MB beeps). 30 or so seconds after powering up hitting the reset would cause a good boot and the system ran fine after that. If you shut down and restarted it would boot ok. I changed memory, video, basically everything and the problem remained. Recently I put in a new MSI NVidia board, along with a larger PS, and the problem persists. Finally, to narrow down the culprit, I took the old Via board and put a new Sempron 3100 in it. The board booted fine every time. So, do I have a CPU with a quirk in it? I wrote AMD and was told to contact them about the problem, which I plan to do shortly. If anyone has any similar experience or knowledge of this type problem, I would be very interested in hearing it.

Thanks in advance.
 10/29/2004 02:05 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DeuceTrinal

Defnitely follow up on the contact with AMD.
What did the MSI d-bracket w/ the LEDs show when you had the bad boot?

-------------------------
/DeuceTrinal
' ">http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=0&t=76
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum | Athlon 64 3500+ Winchester Core(90nm) | Zalman CNPS7000-Cu cooler | Antec SL350 PSU
OCZ EL Plat rev. 2 PC3200 2x512 2-2-2-5 | eVGA Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT | NV Silencer 5 | R
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information