AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 6000+ - Very Unusual behaviour, please help ?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/21/2011 05:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/21/2011 05:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
itzmekp
Lurker

Hello Guys, well I am assembling computers from a long time, but since last couple of months, I have been encountered with the undermentioned issue.

I had been using the AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 6000+ with Branded HP MCP61PM-HM Motherboard since 2 years. Recently, I stopped using it and after a while, when I tried running my PC again, it's just getting turned off after a while.

I thought it would be an issue of "Over Heating". So I tried the following methods :
1. Cleaned the CPU and Cooler and applied new thermal paste.
2. Cleaned the South Bridge Head Sink and applied a new thermal paste over there too.
3. Tried changing my PSU with new one.
4. Tried Changing CPU Cooler.
5. Tried Changing Motherboard.
6. Tried Changing RAM.

But still no success. However, now my PC turns on for about 2 minutes instead of 30 seconds earlier.

Can the CPU be faulty in such case, I have never heard of such faulty CPU.
I had been using the same PC for couple of years but now it's giving me such an irritating problem.

Please suggest, any help shall be appreciated.

Regards,
Kamal Preet
 06/21/2011 11:30 PM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

If that X2 6000+ is a 125W TDP model, probably the motherboard is shot.
I think that board only supports upto 89W TDP processors, so chances
are something has fried on the board.

-------------------------
 06/22/2011 12:30 AM

Author Icon
itzmekp
Lurker

Hmm Well I too think of the same. Whenever I touch the heatsinks, I don't observe any high temperature as such.
But the Three small "choke coils" ( I don't really know what do we call them but am sure that's a kinda "COIL" ) get extremely hot within seconds of turning on the PC.

Shall I move on to another Motherboard ???
 06/22/2011 05:16 AM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

You mentioned you tried another motherboard, but maybe it was same issue? Anyway the "coils" should not be that hot, unless put under severe stress for a period.

06/22/2011 05:51 AM

Author Icon
itzmekp
Lurker

Actually three years ago I bought a lot of 70 Units of HP Branded MCP61PM-HM Motherboards. I sold some and about 14 units were left with me. They all were working perfect. I was using this CPU ( "AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.11 GHz" ) for myself with this motherboard.

Recently I packed it up as I moved on to the laptops. But as of now, I have got back to the desktops, I tried turning on the PC, but the same issue came out of it.

I have tried all the motherboards with this, I mean all the rest of the 14 Mobos, all can't malfunction as such. But what I have observed is the coils are extremely hot within just 5 seconds of turn on that we can't even afford to touch without getting our hand burnt.

Have anybody experience such thing. Can CPU Cooler/FAN be malfunctioning ?
Does this CPU requires some extra or some special kind of CPU FAN ??
Could there be an issue with this CPU ?
 06/22/2011 06:59 AM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

The easiest way would be to test with another type of motherboard that officially supports any Athon X2 6000+ processor. I guess your current board does not have Voltages and Temps readout in BIOS?

06/22/2011 09:46 AM

Author Icon
itzmekp
Lurker

Yes, you are right. As it's branded motherboard that's why I am unable to access the Clock rate, Voltages, and Temperature Information. Once I even thought of Mod the BIOS but am afraid that it just doesn't get off in between modding and make the MOBO Dead.

I have got some couple of other motherboards too but they support upto 5600+. Am really frustrated of this behavior of PC.

I will try to find out some other CPU that supports this Mobo and if it runs smoothly then only two factors shall remain under the doubt i.e., either CPU or CPU FAN.

But it's quite difficult to find AM2 CPU's here, either they are expensive or rare.
 06/22/2011 10:16 AM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

Try it in the other motherboards you have, you said it is a 3.1GHz processor, that would indicate it is a Brisbane core, TDP 89W.
Do you have an OPN of the processor(the numbers on top of the heat spreader)?

06/22/2011 11:12 AM

Author Icon
itzmekp
Lurker

Yeah that's Brisbane Core, TDP - 89W.
OPN : ADV6000IAA5DO

Actually what now I am wondering is to buy a heavy Heat Sink - CPU Cooler because today I tried some amendments in it's CPU cooler, I put up about 5 Fans around it's heat sink and by then PC was able to boot for about next 10 mins.

What do you say about this ?
 06/23/2011 04:42 AM

Author Icon
itzmekp
Lurker

Well I have found this CPU HeadSink, kindly have a look at it :

http://orders.ebay.in/ws/eBayI...m&itemid=390192066195

would it be perfect with the aforementioned CPU ?
any suggestion shall be helpful, I am from India, so if you even have any other website where I can find such heavy heatsink then let me know too.
 07/18/2011 07:37 PM

Author Icon
Mayhew
Lurker

I'm experiencing a similar issue with my HP n8200m system that is built on the MCP61PM-HM Rev. 1.0B motherboard. Recently, my system started blue screening with various hardware related faults. Restoring the system to a previous version of the OS image did nothing to make the system more stable. Often the system would hang on reboot, either prior to the memory test or just after, but memory test always seemed to pass.

It wasn't unitl I started researching the system components that I realized the processor seemed to be overspec for the system motherboard. The processor in my system is the AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 6000+ at 120-130W and motherboard is spec'ed at 89W TPD.

As an EE who's designed motherboard's, my concern is the power delivery system. If the switching power supplies or the copper and/or sockets cannot deliver enough power to the processor, the voltage will drop which could (would) result in "flaky" behavior. Add thermal concerns and it becomes a cascading effect. The hotter the chip, the more current they draw.

Now, I'm not absolutely sure why the system would degrade over time. It could the output capcitors are stressed or aged and now the output voltage is more noisy, especially if the inductors are saturating. Note, changing the system PS will not fix this issue, as these are on-board regulators that step-down the voltage to 1V-2V from 3.3V, 5V or 12V that are the standard ATX outputs.

What's consistent about my theory is that removing most auxiliary PCI cards doesn't change anything. This would be because the processor power supplies isoalte the processor from the rest of the system - with exception of chip I/O supplies.

What bother's me is how could I buy a system from a global retailer in this type of configuration with a motherboard that is clearly underspected for the processor (or vice versa)? Who's responsible, the retailer or HP?

Anyway, I'm going to make sure the system PS is clean, that could be a noise generator too, if it's going bad. Then, I'm going to upgrade the OS from Vista to Windows 7 64-bit. If it is still flakly, I'm going to replace the motherboard and CPU and RAM with something mostly comparable from Fry's.
 03/29/2012 05:54 PM

Author Icon
joe2378
Lurker

I have a Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+ Processor (3.0-GHz, 2x1MB L2 cache, 2000 MHz FSB) which came with a latch type of heatsink/cooler. I was the dumby that didn't the fine print on ebay. So the issue is that my comp is the regular joe schmoe HP DC5750 SFF and bought that CPU mentioned for a quick cost effective upgrade. That being said, knowing what type of computer I have and the CPU, anyone know what brand heatsink will fit in my comp besides the stock heatsink/cooler or what the part number is to the CPU mentioned. Please help!

saul j. gatica
 05/28/2012 03:31 AM

Author Icon
c9099088
Lurker

If that X2 6000+ is a 125W TDP model, probably the motherboard is shot.
I think that board only supports upto 89W TDP processors, so chances
are something has fried on the board.

[url=http://www.realmapa.com]street map | street and maps | Google smap treet view maps[/url]
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information