AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Steam on an FX Processor? Not in this lifetime.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/23/2012 01:05 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/23/2012 01:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dores893
Lurker

I'm running an AMD FX 8150 on a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 with dual AMD Radeon HD7970 graphics cards. The system is two months old. I decided to go with AMD for the reason that most people do: better bang for your buck. I initially had a BSOD with Total War 2: Fall of the Samurai, but flashing my bios up to version F7 seemed to fix it. That worked for about a month, when I started to have BSODs on every steam game. I flashed through F8 and even to F9 without resolving the issue. Every steam game crashes every time, regardless of the BIOS version.

I have given up using Steam for this reason. You get what you pay for, and I very much regret thumbing my nose at Intel and NVIDIA. The system I replaced it with worked properly for six years. AMD can't even get their graphics card updates to work properly (search issues with Catalyst 12.4 update not being recognized after installation). I've owned many PCs before, and this is not my first AMD. It is however the first system I've owned than can barely function for the very reason it was built. Congratulations AMD on such a stunning moral victory with your consumers.
 05/28/2012 03:23 PM

Author Icon
kali19
Lurker

Well, lets hope the next Nvidia driver you use does not fry your over priced card or even worse hose your O/S
 05/29/2012 11:58 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
The Frozen One

What error code do you get on your BSOD events? Have you tried playing any non-steam games? Does it occur with them as well?

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 05/30/2012 10:32 PM

Author Icon
Speedwayaudio
Overclocker

Originally posted by: dores893

I'm running an AMD FX 8150 on a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 with dual AMD Radeon HD7970 graphics cards. The system is two months old. I decided to go with AMD for the reason that most people do: better bang for your buck. I initially had a BSOD with Total War 2: Fall of the Samurai, but flashing my bios up to version F7 seemed to fix it. That worked for about a month, when I started to have BSODs on every steam game. I flashed through F8 and even to F9 without resolving the issue. Every steam game crashes every time, regardless of the BIOS version.

I have given up using Steam for this reason. You get what you pay for, and I very much regret thumbing my nose at Intel and NVIDIA. The system I replaced it with worked properly for six years. AMD can't even get their graphics card updates to work properly (search issues with Catalyst 12.4 update not being recognized after installation). I've owned many PCs before, and this is not my first AMD. It is however the first system I've owned than can barely function for the very reason it was built. Congratulations AMD on such a stunning moral victory with your consumers.

Did you stop to think that maybe it is the gigabyte motherboard with the lower end chipset? the 970 in not the gamer mother board. 990fx. Try the crosshair V. I would not blame AMD I run steam fine on my set up. Never have any trouble with ccc drivers. Did you unistall the old driver before installing 12.4? 9 out 10 times folks with all these problems with AMD it's just the nut behind the wheel.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/...N82E16813128521

Yep that is a mediocre motherboard at best and you are try to run AMD flagship products on it. That like twinturbo and nitros on a old snapper lawn mower and then getting mad that it doesn't run right. lol Get a Asus Chrosshair V and then hold on.

"You get what you pay for" yes you sure did. with that Gigabyte. $89.00 motherboard with $800 of gfx cards a $259 of cpu. and you blame AMD lol

-------------------------
FX 8150 X 8 4.5MHz
Asus Crosshair V
ATI Radeon HD 6950 X2
8 gb Corsair Dominator GT 9-9-9-24@ 1866mhz DDR3
Seagate 7200.10 HDD LG BluRay HD DVD
w/LightScrib
Crucial M4 128 SSD
55"Vizio LCD
Corsair HX 1000 psu
NZXT Phantom Black
Corsair H80 push/pull
Razer Death Adder VooDoo edition mouse and Keyboard.

Edited: 05/30/2012 at 10:40 PM by Speedwayaudio
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information