AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: did i kill my processor? brand new!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/02/2005 12:55 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/02/2005 12:55 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DnBtekhnic

i just compiled this system ... athlonn 64 4000+ san deigo 2 gigs ocz plat memory ocz 520watt ps 74gig wd raptor drive evga 7800gtx ko edition ... used it for about 2 days, then after adjusting a couple things in the bios, it restarted, froze annd is extremely slow now ... i restored all defaults in the bios, still very slow loading windows and all programs ... i mean EXTREMELY SLOW. all i did was adjust like an overclock setting, something very very minor. initially i was getting no bios post or signal so i took out the cmos battery and reseted the rtc ram ... after i did this the bios initially detected my cpu at 5460 or something ... then it detected the proper settings for my ram and cpu but is extremely slow ... i took out the 2 pci cards and still slow, swapped the memory and used one, still slow, hard drive seems fine ... any ideas????
 11/02/2005 12:57 AM

Author Icon
DnBtekhnic

one more thing... the adjustment i made was on the asus a8n prem mobo and it was a preset overclock a supposed safe and safe/optimal one.
 11/02/2005 05:38 AM

Author Icon
majmac01

QUOTE(DnBtekhnic @ Nov 2 2005, 02:57 PM)one more thing... the adjustment i made was on the asus a8n prem mobo and it was a preset overclock a supposed safe and safe/optimal one.
[right][snapback]536369[/snapback][/right]

Have you tried to repair your WinOS? Perhaps a diskcheck may be in order? Overclocking can (depending on if the SATA channels/PCIe etc are not locked) lead to 'hashed' files on your HDD.
The other possibility is that you 'cooked' your Nvidia mobo chip -- they get hot even at normal speeds.
I can't think of anything else with the information you have supplied ... perhaps someone else?
 11/02/2005 09:27 AM

Author Icon
Andy-M

I assume you have cecked all BIOS settings, voltage, FSB, multiplier, etc. & checked more than a few times untill you are sure they should work, yes?

It sounds to me like your mobo is going with default values. There is usualy a setting somewhere in the mobo BIOS that you can switch on and off that will make the mobo re-set to default (Slow but safe) BIOS values to protect copmonents. If you set something drasticaly worng, it will either not be able to post withoit a "Clear CMOS" or it will go for default values.

If you are sure your BIOS is correct (At least mostly anyway) then ignore my post.

-------------------------

HAPPY PHENOM USER ! ! !!!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information