Increase font size
Topic Title: Problems with Bios F9?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/04/2005 11:05 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/04/2005 11:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Coxy

I have a Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI with an X2 4400 processor. Was running Bios F6 and 'Cool n Quiet' was working great. Updated to Bios F9 and 'Cool n Quiet' no longer functions!

I have installed CPU driver and changed power option in XP as AMD say to do but to no avail. Anyone else have this problem and know how to remedy it? Thanks.
 09/04/2005 11:18 PM

Author Icon
dot_pixel651

could be a bad bios or some errors in the bios. i have the ga-k8ns ultra 939 board with F6 and its the most stable for me. the F7 & F8 that are out for my board are not stable for me. i would just use the F6 if its stable.

dot.

-------------------------
AMD Opteron 165
ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
PNY 2x512MB DDR500
eVGA 7800GT
WD 2x160 / WD 250
ASUS 16x DVD-ROM / NEC 16x DVD-RW
Samsung 1.44
Ultra X-Finity 600
 09/05/2005 01:12 AM

Author Icon
TheReturnOfAZ

CnQ on a 4400+!? give it what it wants, power!

they run pretty cool anyway

sorry it isnt working towards a fix but still

The opinions expressed above exactly represent those of the Intel Corporation and all of its affiliates.
Official Intel™ Propaganda Spreader
"Bringing you the benchmarks that everyone knows are fake" ~ SINCE 2006 ~<!--
 09/05/2005 12:49 PM

Author Icon
Gator

QUOTE(dot_pixel651 @ Sep 4 2005, 11:18 PM)could be a bad bios or some errors in the bios. i have the ga-k8ns ultra 939 board with F6 and its the most stable for me. the F7 & F8 that are out for my board are not stable for me. i would just use the F6 if its stable.

dot.
[right][snapback]495237[/snapback][/right]

I just purchased the same Mainboard that you have, along with an AMD64 3700+ San Diego. It came with BIOS ver. F5 pre-installed and I updated to ver. F8. Now things aren't stable and when I try using Dual-BIOS Flash utility to boot from back-up, it doesn't work! I first copied the F5 to backup ROM before doing the update and now I can't get it to revert. Should have copied it to floppy but I didn't. I only see the newer BIOS versions on the Gigabyte Homepage under this board # and can't find older versions like the F6 you're using. All my 3-D applications such as benchmarking utilities and games like Doom3 lock up or reboot my computer. I was thinking it may be the CPU but now I'm wondering.

Any ideas?

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
Albert Einstein; Sign hanging in Einsteins' office at Princeton

"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."</spa
 09/05/2005 01:27 PM

Author Icon
dot_pixel651

after flashing my bios MANY TIMES, i found out that the newer bios are not stable that gigabyte releases. i tried F7 & F8 for my board MANY TIMES but it just isnt stable. try to download the F5 for your board and put it on a formatted floppy. go into bios and open up q-flash. update the main bios, update backup bios, save settings to CMOS, then hit F10 to power off. give it a min then power up and see if its ok.

dot.

AMD Opteron 165
ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
PNY 2x512MB DDR500
eVGA 7800GT
WD 2x160 / WD 250
Samsung 1.44
Ultra X-Finity 600
 09/05/2005 01:40 PM

Author Icon
Gator

Thanks. I'll go back to Gigabyte US and see if I can find older BIOS types. Didn't see it there last visit but may not have looked in the right place. All I saw were like the F7-F8 downloads. Hit F10 to power off? OK, that's a new one on me. Learn something new evey day if we're lucky enough.

P.S.,
Yep, just went to www.giga-byte.com and I did miss something. The blue letters that say "More... ". Clicked there and sure enough, older BIOS versions. D'uh! I must have been half asleep the last time I looked there. Can't believe I missed that! Thanks!

P.P.S.,
Geez, all this time I've been restarting my PC wrong after flashing BIOS. It's a good thing I have Dual-BIOS or I'd have been really messed up. Just saw the F10 feature for power down, in the .pdf file for reflashing Dual-BIOS. I always powered down manually and I'm lucky things didn't go really deep south. Thanks again for pointing that out to me. You'd think I'd never done this before, been flashing BIOS for years and somehow kept overlooking that. Do I ever feel lame!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."</spa
 09/05/2005 03:06 PM

Author Icon
Gator

@ dot

Disregard if you've read I was having problems. Had a bad floppy disk and all is good now, after using different disk. Back to version F5 on Main BIOS chip. Going to try now and see if games will run. Thanks anyway.

GATOR

09/05/2005 10:52 PM

Author Icon
functional-pc

how can a X2 run at full potential without either the F8 or F9 bios?
we had similar complications updating... but read that if you flash to F8 or F9 and incurr instability, you are told to clear cmos. we did, and everything is rocking at full power with F8

Latest workstation:
Lian li PC-A05B, KN3-SLi, 4400 Brisbane, Freezer 64 Pro, 2 gigs Super-Talent T800UX2GC4, 36 raptor system drive, Caviar RE 320 storage drive, Hiper 580, Ati 1300 Pro, running Vista Home Premium 64-bit with Symantec 10.2.224
 09/06/2005 10:45 AM

Author Icon
Gator

QUOTE(functional-pc @ Sep 5 2005, 10:52 PM)how can a X2 run at full potential without either the F8 or F9 bios?
we had similar complications updating... but read that if you flash to F8 or F9 and incurr instability, you are told to clear cmos. we did, and everything is rocking at full power with F8
[right][snapback]496015[/snapback][/right]

Good question. Looking at BIOS versions, dual-core needs at least the F7 but then I don't have a dually myself so I can't speak for dot. That is curious though.

Clearing CMOS and resetting cures many ills, especially after CPU upgrades. Maybe that's what dot needs to do, if not done already.

09/06/2005 06:27 PM

Author Icon
dot_pixel651

QUOTE(Gator @ Sep 6 2005, 10:45 AM)Good question. Looking at BIOS versions, dual-core needs at least the F7 but then I don't have a dually myself so I can't speak for dot. That is curious though.

Clearing CMOS and resetting cures many ills, especially after CPU upgrades. Maybe that's what dot needs to do, if not done already.
[right][snapback]496320[/snapback][/right]

i have tried all of that but it doesnt work. /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' /> its ok. i dont mind. i have NO trouble with F6 bios and its very stable unlike the F7 & F8 for my board. thanks for the advice tho. /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

dot.

AMD Opteron 165
ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
PNY 2x512MB DDR500
eVGA 7800GT
WD 2x160 / WD 250
Samsung 1.44
Ultra X-Finity 600
 09/06/2005 10:59 PM

Author Icon
Gator

Hi dot,
The last posts from myself and functional-pc were directed at Coxy and not you. Sorry I didn't make that more clear. Coxy was the starter of this thread and has a dual-core (X-2) CPU and a different Mainboard than we both have, as shown in the first post:
QUOTE(Coxy)I have a Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI with an X2 4400 processor. Was running Bios F6 and 'Cool n Quiet' was working great. Updated to Bios F9 and 'Cool n Quiet' no longer functions!

I have installed CPU driver and changed power option in XP as AMD say to do but to no avail. Anyone else have this problem and know how to remedy it? Thanks.

Back @ dot: I believe you're showing a single core CPU in your signature, as follows:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester 90nm 939 w/AS5 paste Temps: 35 idle 38-39 underload (best i can do with AS5) (looking twards a 3500+ venice)
Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra 939 Bios: F6 (looking twards an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe). You also have the same Mainboard that I do, the Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra but I've been trying to get my new AMD64 3700+ San Diego single core CPU to work on my rig and I've had nothing but problems. Even after reverting my BIOS back to ver. F5 or F6, the problems improved but many remain. I wanted the 3800+ 0.13 Micron, SOI but they were back-ordered at the time, so I went with the 3700+. Returning my 3700+ for an RMA replacement and a better CPU. That's why you and I don't need the BIOS version F8, since that version is for dual-core CPUs on the Mainboard we both have. Coxys' GA-K8NXP-SLI needs the version F8 to run dual-cores (F8 2005/6/28 Support Athlon 64x2 dual core CPU) and when updating to F9, Coxy ran into problems.

@ Coxy,
Try reverting back to version F8 and see if that takes care of the Cool and Quiet situation. Sorry we kind of hijacked your thread. The F9 for your board says it does this: F9 2005/7/22 Update CPU code.

Try, like I've said, to go back to F8 and clear CMOS as I and others have recommended. Hopefully that should do the trick! Let me know, please. I'll keep checking back.

09/06/2005 11:05 PM

Author Icon
dot_pixel651

QUOTE(Gator @ Sep 6 2005, 10:59 PM)Hi dot,
The last posts from myself and functional-pc were directed at Coxy and not you. Sorry I didn't make that more clear. Coxy was the starter of this thread and has a dual-core (X-2) CPU and a different Mainboard than we both have, as shown in the first post:
QUOTE(Coxy)I have a Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI with an X2 4400 processor. Was running Bios F6 and 'Cool n Quiet' was working great. Updated to Bios F9 and 'Cool n Quiet' no longer functions!

Back @ dot: I believe you're showing a single core CPU in your signature, as follows:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester 90nm 939 w/AS5 paste Temps: 35 idle 38-39 underload (best i can do with AS5) (looking twards a 3500+ venice)
Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra 939 Bios: F6 (looking twards an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe). You also have the same Mainboard that I do, the Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra but I've been trying to get my new AMD64 3700+ San Diego single core CPU to work on my rig and I've had nothing but problems. Even after reverting my BIOS back to ver. F5 or F6, the problems improved but many remain. I wanted the 3800+ 0.13 Micron, SOI but they were back-ordered at the time, so I went with the 3700+. Returning my 3700+ for an RMA replacement and a better CPU. That's why you and I don't need the BIOS version F8, since that version is for dual-core CPUs on the Mainboard we both have. Coxys' GA-K8NXP-SLI needs the version F8 to run dual-cores (F8 2005/6/28 Support Athlon 64x2 dual core CPU) and when updating to F9, Coxy ran into problems.

@ Coxy,
Try reverting back to version F8 and see if that takes care of the Cool and Quiet situation. Sorry we kind of hijacked your thread. The F9 for your board says it does this: F9 2005/7/22 Update CPU code.

Try, like I've said, to go back to F8 and clear CMOS as I and others have recommended. Hopefully that should do the trick! Let me know, please. I'll keep checking back.

[right][snapback]496938[/snapback][/right]

my mistake. oops. /blush.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='blush.gif' /> if you still have problems tho, i would for sure report them to gigabyte so they can fix it. /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

dot.

AMD Opteron 165
ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
PNY 2x512MB DDR500
eVGA 7800GT
WD 2x160 / WD 250
Samsung 1.44
Ultra X-Finity 600
 09/06/2005 11:52 PM

Author Icon
Gator

@ dot,

Aw, don't be embarassed! I make my share of mistakes and it makes me feel that I'm in good company!
/smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

Yea, I'm going to try a new CPU first, then get a new Mainboard if that doesn't solve the problems. Just bought a new PSU after some folks mentioned it could be a voltage problem and not the CPU. New NeoPower PSU does resolve some issues but not the major ones. Should be getting an RMAed CPU replacement in a few days for my 3700+, so I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

Gigabyte has great customer service now, since opening a U.S. based facility in California a few years ago. Calling Taiwan never really worked, back when I got my first Gigabyte board in 1999. Had a BIOS problem with an old board that was years out of warranty and they still replaced it, with an upgraded board for only $10 S&H. Hard to beat service like that and that's why I've stayed with Gigabyte for so many years.

Haven't seen Coxy back here lately. Maybe the problem was fixed? If you'r out there Coxy, drop us a reply and let us know if you've fixed things. Closure is always good and maybe we can come up with some other ideas if it still doesn't work after trying to revert your BIOS and clearing CMOS. Once again, sorry about the thread hijacking and hope we didn't scare you off!
/wink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wink.gif' />

09/07/2005 09:25 AM

Author Icon
Gator

@ dot,

System temps missing?

Hey there, since we both have the same mainboard, I have a question for you. To begin, all my older Gigabyte boards have case/system temp monitoring show up in EasyTune. This new GA-K8NS Ultra shows voltages, fan speeds, CPU temps but doesn't show system temps. Are you seeing the same thing while monitoring your board? Switching from the ET4 utility that came with CD, to ET5 works better overall but still no system temp shows. Changing BIOS doesn't bring it up either. I'm just wondering if this feature for monitoring system or ambient temps was left out on this board, or maybe my board IS defective. Do you or do you not see system temps in ET utility?

Thanks.

09/07/2005 04:59 PM

Author Icon
dot_pixel651

i have the same problem. i only see CPU temp but i dont see system temp. i cant remember but i think i was able to view my system temp in bios but i cant remember. ill edit this post when i check.

dot.

AMD Opteron 165
ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
PNY 2x512MB DDR500
eVGA 7800GT
WD 2x160 / WD 250
Samsung 1.44
Ultra X-Finity 600
 09/07/2005 06:43 PM

Author Icon
Gator

QUOTE(dot_pixel651 @ Sep 7 2005, 04:59 PM)i have the same problem. i only see CPU temp but i dont see system temp. i cant remember but i think i was able to view my system temp in bios but i cant remember. ill edit this post when i check.
dot.
[right][snapback]497539[/snapback][/right]
Cool. Thanks for reply. I actually called Gigabyte in California long distance a couple hours ago. Their tech support dept said this Mainboard doesn't have an ambient or rather a case temp sensor so it's nothing to worry about. I was thinking it may be an indication that my board was defective and had a bad sensor or something. All my Gigabyte boards (and I have many), show System or Case temps but this one had to be the first that didn't, right along with trying to find out if my CPU is bad or my new Mainboard is bad. Go figure. At least we both now know this is normal, not seeing System temps with this board.

Should be getting a new CPU in not too long, if I don't get hit by that hurricane off the Atlantic coast. I'll let you know if the CPU change resolves the problems or if it's my Mainboard that's at fault. Thanks again, dot and see you around, unless I have to evacuate due to the approaching storm!

09/07/2005 09:06 PM

Author Icon
dot_pixel651

there is another storm? /blink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='blink.gif' /> i havnt heard of that but anyways. i was a bit unhappy from this gigabyte mobo because like you said it doesnt show system temp. and i cant get smart fan to work either. o well, my friend is going to buy my board and cpu and as you can see in my sig what im going to replace it with. the gigabyte board is good and rock solid. i like it but the little features like fan controler and things like that do matter alot for me.

dot.

AMD Opteron 165
ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
PNY 2x512MB DDR500
eVGA 7800GT
WD 2x160 / WD 250
Samsung 1.44
Ultra X-Finity 600
 09/07/2005 11:14 PM

Author Icon
Gator

QUOTE(dot_pixel651 @ Sep 7 2005, 09:06 PM)there is another storm?  /blink.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='blink.gif' />  i havnt heard of that but anyways. i was a bit unhappy from this gigabyte mobo because like you said it doesnt show system temp. and i cant get smart fan to work either. o well, my friend is going to buy my board and cpu and as you can see in my sig what im going to replace it with. the gigabyte board is good and rock solid. i like it but the little features like fan controler and things like that do matter alot for me.

dot.
[right][snapback]497735[/snapback][/right]

Yea, another storm and I live 3 miles from the Atlantic ocean, in Florida and it's heading our way. Think it's called Ophelia. All the streets downtown are already flooded and impassable.

Gigabyte boards are very reliable and rock-solid. The older Gigabyte boards I own all have Thermal Shutdown Protection and this new GA-K8NS Ultra doesn't (very diappointing) and my GA-7N400 Pro2 also doesn't but that board does have System Temp monitoring. The ASUS A7N8X Deluxe that a friend gave me has Thermal Shutdown but it's called something different, just can't remember what right now.

You can't get Smart FAN to work? That's odd, mine works but I don't use it because I run my fans at full speed normally, except for CPU fan which I controlled manually on my other Gigabyte board with ThermalTake 92mm SmartBlue fan and large copper Swiftech MCX462-V heat sink. My new Antec NeoPower PSU has dedicated fan connectors, which monitor temps and fan speeds to adjust accordingly. Problem is that I have a clear side panel on my case and the Neo lowers the fan speed so much that the blue LEDs on my fans dim along with the slower speeds. I like my fans at full speed, like I've said and my LEDs at full brightness to light up the inside of my case through the side window. If I had an extra cable with 4 pin MOLEX connectors, I have an unused modular port on the new NeoPower 480watt PSU that I could use to run all fans, lights and LEDs at full power. Just guess I'll need to contact Antec tomorow and see if I can get an extra cable.

You seemed to understand BIOS settings but I can't help wondering, were you able to find CPU Smart FAN in BIOS OK, under PC Health Status? If enabled, it will monitor CPU temps and adjust HS fan accordingly but here's the kicker; when enabled, the CPU/HS fan runs at low speed and may not work at all with some fans (plus fans with LEDs or cold cathodes won't light up and may not work at all, due to lack of power!. CPU fan monitoring (Smart FAN), when enabled, works @ 60C, faster at 70c, faster at 80C and full speed at 90C. Since most AMD64s max out at 70C, except for a couple, these speeds are almost never going to change from low speed unless something's seriously wrong and your CPU begins to overheat! My AMD64 3700+, even though defective, only runs @ 30-33C idle and only 40-42C loaded with large GROMACS running and with Prime95 it never went over 44C. At these low temps, 5,000+rpm AMD HS fan never ran more than 2,200rpm. You can monitor and set over-temp alarms for all fans but Smart FAN only controls CPU fan speeds according to temps and as I'd said, it's usless unless you want to run HS fan at lowest speed possible and still be somewhat effective for cooling. Plus enabling may cause the fan to not work at all. Glad we've been able to help each other and if I can help you with anything, or just try to answer questions, just let me know.

Gator

P.S.,
You want an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe? I didn't think that would work with AGP graphics cards but needed PCI cards instead. Am I wrong? I'd have liked a PCI-Express myself but already purchased the GeForce 6800 GT OC 256MB AGP card for my other System, so I'd stuck with the GA-K8NS Ultra to use what I already have. I'll have to look at the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe and read specs.

See ya later!

Gator

09/07/2005 11:27 PM

Author Icon
dot_pixel651

thats the problem with smart fan. the settings are set tooo high. i enabled it and tried to set the settings myself using easytune 5 but it still wont work. im thinking something is wrong with bios but the board its self is solid and good. i spoke with gigabyte tech support and they said that it might be a problem with easytune 5 or/and bios so im going to report the problem and i hope they can fix it even tho my friend is going to have the mobo. /tongue.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='tongue.gif' /> i know the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe only supports pci-e video cards. my friend is going to buy my current board & cpu and i have been saving up for a 6800gt anyways so insted of getting agp, ill just go for the pci-e card. the price is almost the same so this is what i decided to go for. im tired to upgrading. whatever is in my sig and with my upgrades that ill be doing is probably final for me. lol. im hoping that i will be good for atleast 3 years if not more. you think it will last me atleast 3 years?

for the storm, i hope u dont get flooded. /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' /> i would hate to see that computer of yours get damaged. /happy.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='happy.gif' /> it doesnt look as strong as katrina tho.

dot.

AMD Opteron 165
ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
PNY 2x512MB DDR500
eVGA 7800GT
WD 2x160 / WD 250
Samsung 1.44
Ultra X-Finity 600
 09/08/2005 08:04 AM

Author Icon
Gator

@ dot,
The Smart FAN problem isn't just with ET5, it also happens with ET4 so Gigabyte definitely needs to fix that.

I'd go with PCI-E myself if I could. Problem here is that I just recently bought the 6800 AGP card and selling it would cost me more due to losing much of what I'd paid for it. The PCI-Es are much faster than AGP too and it should be some time before that gets another upgrade. There is a GeForce 7800 PCI-E that's out already and that's faster than the 6800s, so if you can afford that and are really tired of upgrades, you may want to go that route but the 6800s are still pretty hard to beat. Will it last you 3 years? It should but there's always the bugs with fans and some electronic devices that can lower the lifespan of any component. Then again, properly designed, properly built and properly maintained electro/mechanical devices can last many times that, it all depends. As for lasting 3 years compared to advancing technologies, things are changing so fast that not all the component manufactures are keeping up with each other, thus the multiple incompatibility issues that abound. I really think that you should be happy with the setup you've decided on for at least three years, unless you decide to do something that requires dual-core tech or possibly the new XP Pro 64-bit OS. Other than that, I'd be very comfortable with what your getting. Even some of the newest games that are out and that are coming out have been engineered to utilize dual-core technology but that doesn't mean they won't run fine without it, only that they've been "optimized" for it. I think the latest Far Cry may be one of those games, if I'm not mistaken. As long as you're happy with the way things run and all the components work together, I see no reason to make any other changes for at least the next three years. It's all a person choice thing but you should be fine.

Thanks for the wishes that the storm isn't so bad. People here are already freaking out and buying up hurricane supplies, after what happened along the Mississippi area.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information