Increase font size
Topic Title: Clock going too fast on 3800 dual-core with RHEL4
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/10/2005 07:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/10/2005 07:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
arsshadnoor

Recently purchased an HP a1250n (Athlon64-X2 3800) (MSI motherboard - model MS-7184) and installed RHEL4ES-U3 (2.6.9-22.ELsmp). However, I've noticed the clock moving too fast since then. Searching the internet and RH archives, I've tried booting with the "noapic" kernel parameter - but this just hangs the boot process. Any suggestions from the AMD forum on how to solve this problem? I've cross-posted to the RH support people too. Thanks.
 11/15/2005 07:33 AM

Author Icon
daffy_

I have just bought a HP w5296 with the same motherboard and an AMD X2 4200+. My problem is that I can't get any of the linux distro's I've tried so far to recognize my S-ATA controller. So I'd like to know what you did for RHEL to recognize yours? (Or do you use an IDE disk?)

If (when?) I get linux (was going for Ubuntu 64) up and running, I'll let you know if I have similar problems as you do...
 11/16/2005 01:09 PM

Author Icon
arsshadnoor

I'm afraid I didn't do anything. I tried both Fedora Core 4 and RHEL4ES, and both installed on the PC - which has a SATA controller (ATI 4379 Serial ATA Controller, using the sata_sil driver). However, the ATI graphics drivers didn't work very well on FC4, so I tried RHEL4ES and that worked fine with the graphics (1920x1200). However, the clock problem persists. I was given the suggestion to try "acpi=off" for the kernel command, but that just hung the PC in the boot process (as did the "noapic" option). I have now provided Red Hat with details from the PC config and they're (hopefully) working on resolving this. Of course, if anyone else has a suggestion, I'm willing to try it. Thanks.
 11/16/2005 04:46 PM

Author Icon
daffy_

I tried with SuSE 10.0 and everything installed just fine. (Distro's I've tried, and failed, with: Ubuntu 5.04 (32 bit), 5.10 (64 bit), Knoppix 4.0.2, Mandriva 2006, RR4 (v2.65)). (SuSE has a very nice install-image) I preferre Fedora over SuSE, so I'll try FC4 then. (I have a geForce graphics card, so I don't need to use the on-board one.)

But, I am also experiencing the same clock-problem as you described. In just over 24 hours, my clock is now more than 2 hours in the future. Strangest thing I've ever seen.
 11/17/2005 05:21 AM

Author Icon
daffy_

Regarding the clock: a friend of mine had a similar problem (although on a different mobo) and said that an upgrade to the 2.6.14 kernel solved it. Worth a try /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />
 11/17/2005 02:34 PM

Author Icon
arsshadnoor

Problem is that Red Hat doesn't have support for that yet as part of their ES distribution. I'm not sure what else it might break if I were to compile that in and upgrade. However, if you do get around to doing that and if it works, do let me know and I'll pass it onto RH and hopefully get them to issue a temporary patch. Thanks.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information