Increase font size
Topic Title: mounting the cpu heatsink
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/06/2005 01:14 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/06/2005 01:14 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
rdesharnais

I'm in the process of placing the cpu and fan on the motherboard.
when shipped 'in box' by AMD is there thermal interface material applied
to the bottom of the heat sink already and nothing more required, or is 'paste' needed between cpu and heatsink?
 10/06/2005 03:53 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

QUOTE(rdesharnais @ Oct 5 2005, 10:14 PM)I'm in the process of placing the cpu and fan on the motherboard.
when shipped 'in box' by AMD is there thermal interface material applied
to the bottom of the heat sink already and nothing more required, or is 'paste' needed between cpu and heatsink?
[right][snapback]517376[/snapback][/right]

Yes there is a thermal compound already applied to the bottom of the heatsink, and it does work. All you do is peel off the plastic and put it on, its a good thermal compound too.

Welcome to the forums! /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />
 10/06/2005 01:42 PM

Author Icon
rdesharnais

QUOTE(bvchurch @ Oct 6 2005, 12:53 AM)Yes there is a thermal compound already applied to the bottom of the heatsink, and it does work. All you do is peel off the plastic and put it on, its a good thermal compound too.

Welcome to the forums! /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />
[right][snapback]517412[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for the reply...
There was'nt anything to peel off so I sctatched it lightly with my fingernail to see what material it was (it looked like anodized aluminium). Hope I did'nt ruin it, don't think so as it left brely a mark.
 10/06/2005 03:11 PM

Author Icon
cyberjunkie

If it was on the edge of the square shape in which it was applied, it is fine. But if it is near the middle of the material, then you will have to apply some new one.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information