Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon 64 X2 4200+ instability & crashes
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/09/2005 05:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/09/2005 05:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zygsquib

I'm been trying to troubleshoot this for the past week and I've got it narrowed down to a few things. I have an Athlon 64 3200+ on an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe MB and did the BIOS upgarde to version 1011 which is the latest for support of my new Athlon 64 X2 4200+. I turn it off, plug in the new cpu and right off the bat it boots up and is listed in the BIOS and flash screen correctly. Windows XP SP2 comes up and identifies the cpu correctly as well. I try to install the AMD cpu driver anyway just to make sure. I try both the zip and exe version, and to my best to force it, but it never takes. The driver it's using is from November 2004 or the like from MS Publisher. But, XP is running just fine, so I forget about it.

After a while, I start to get strange errors. VGA errors, then corruption of files, the online game I play starts becoming out of sync after a while, after initially playing fine. CPU temp in the BIOS is about 34 C or so idle. I reinstalled a fresh install of XP 4 times since then, and every time the system becomes unusable. It runs for a few reboots, but then eventually dies. I did a memtest for the first 7 tests and my memory showed no errors.

I switch out the X2 and put in the 3200+, make another clean install, and voila, the system runs fine. After all this, could it still be the BIOS, motherboard, the CPU, or is it the drivers?

If the motherbaord runs fine with this BIOS version and a different CPU I tend to think they're eliminated. That leaves the CPU itself or the drivers, unless there's something else.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate it. My system:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ socket 939
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ socket 939
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe BIOS version 1011
2 Hitachi 250GB serial ATA HDDs
Plextor 16X DVDR serial ATA
Nvidia 6600GT PCI-express (single-card mode)
2 512MB sticks of PC4200 Geil value RAM
Antec Neo-power 480W PSU
Motorola PCI wireless
SB Audigy ZS 2
 07/09/2005 08:51 PM

Author Icon
cwetmore(CA)

you need to reformatt to use the new proc oops missed the part where u said you did fresh install
 07/09/2005 10:44 PM

Author Icon
Glassmaster

You need to use this CPU driver.' ">http://www.amd.com/us-en/asset...e/utilities/amdcpu.exe

Glassmaster.

-------------------------
Power Supply Guide' ">http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566 Memtest86' ">http://www.memtest.org/#downiso Prime95' ">http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm SuperPI' ">http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=36 3dmark05' ">http://www.futuremark.com/download/?3dmark05.shtml CPU-Z' ">http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php#download <
 07/10/2005 05:53 AM

Author Icon
mjt67

QUOTE(zygsquib @ Jul 9 2005, 10:58 PM)I'm been trying to troubleshoot this for the past week and I've got it narrowed down to a few things. I have an Athlon 64 3200+ on an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe MB and did the BIOS upgarde to version 1011 which is the latest for support of my new Athlon 64 X2 4200+. I turn it off, plug in the new cpu and right off the bat it boots up and is listed in the BIOS and flash screen correctly. Windows XP SP2 comes up and identifies the cpu correctly as well. I try to install the AMD cpu driver anyway just to make sure. I try both the zip and exe version, and to my best to force it, but it never takes. The driver it's using is from November 2004 or the like from MS Publisher. But, XP is running just fine, so I forget about it.

After a while, I start to get strange errors. VGA errors, then corruption of files, the online game I play starts becoming out of sync after a while, after initially playing fine. CPU temp in the BIOS is about 34 C or so idle. I reinstalled a fresh install of XP 4 times since then, and every time the system becomes unusable. It runs for a few reboots, but then eventually dies. I did a memtest for the first 7 tests and my memory showed no errors.

I switch out the X2 and put in the 3200+, make another clean install, and voila, the system runs fine. After all this, could it still be the BIOS, motherboard, the CPU, or is it the drivers?

If the motherbaord runs fine with this BIOS version and a different CPU I tend to think they're eliminated. That leaves the CPU itself or the drivers, unless there's something else.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd appreciate it. My system:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ socket 939
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ socket 939
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe BIOS version 1011
2 Hitachi 250GB serial ATA HDDs
Plextor 16X DVDR serial ATA
Nvidia 6600GT PCI-express (single-card mode)
2 512MB sticks of PC4200 Geil value RAM
Antec Neo-power 480W PSU
Motorola PCI wireless
SB Audigy ZS 2
[right][snapback]455503[/snapback][/right]

You need to reformat and reinstall again to clean it up to use X2 dual core - I already decided to ditched X2 dual as I bought FX-55 San Diego as you know X2 dual core is max at 2.4Ghz -- FX55 is 2.6Ghz and FX57 is 2.8Ghz

[Signature over size limits. Please see forum guidelines.]
 09/04/2005 10:32 PM

Author Icon
Vintage1945

not sure if this would help, but give it a shot. sounds like there are some other issues going on too. the PSU is another thing to look at

QUOTE(Vintage1945 @ Sep 4 2005, 06:02 PM)for running games on the X2 u need to use an affinity setting program. not sure if ur problem is in the os and games, but the fix for games under w2k & xp is this:

Win2000 Launcher 1.5.2' ">http://www.majorgeeks.com/Win2000_Launcher_d438.html

when setting this up make sure you set the game exe to use only proc, i use #2.
[right][snapback]495198[/snapback][/right]
 09/05/2005 01:52 AM

Author Icon
konfuzd

Sounds like a memory problem to me. Give your RAM a few more volts. If that doesn't do it, tighten your timings a little. Remember, when you changed processors, you also changed memory controlers. My 4200 is amazingly pickey about RAM voltage and timings. Before I figured this out, I had to reinstall windows 5 times due to corrupted system files. With my A8N-E, I have to run the RAM at 2.5,3,3,8 and 2.8V for optimum stabillity.

Also, what are your rails at under 100% load. The same amount of power your 3200 used to be happy is only an apetizer to the X2 so your PSU might be having a hard time keeping up.

For affinity, I'm starting to think it's just a craptacular fix for an underlying config problem. It's been my experience that it really doesn't fix too much of anything for longer than 5 min. From this standpoint, just make sure your drivers (don't forget the processor) are up to date and hope they finally get all the bugs worked out.

If all else fails, hit it harder.
 09/05/2005 08:02 AM

Author Icon
Vintage1945

QUOTE(konfuzd @ Sep 4 2005, 09:52 PM)Sounds like a memory problem to me. Give your RAM a few more volts. If that doesn't do it, tighten your timings a little. Remember, when you changed processors, you also changed memory controlers. My 4200 is amazingly pickey about RAM voltage and timings. Before I figured this out, I had to reinstall windows 5 times due to corrupted system files. With my A8N-E, I have to run the RAM at 2.5,3,3,8 and 2.8V for optimum stabillity.

Also, what are your rails at under 100% load. The same amount of power your 3200 used to be happy is only an apetizer to the X2 so your PSU might be having a hard time keeping up.

For affinity, I'm starting to think it's just a craptacular fix for an underlying config problem. It's been my experience that it really doesn't fix too much of anything for longer than 5 min. From this standpoint, just make sure your drivers (don't forget the processor) are up to date and hope they finally get all the bugs worked out.
[right][snapback]495341[/snapback][/right]

my affinity problem stemmed from UT99, the only game i actually play. so i always try to throw this out as an option to try.
 09/05/2005 08:48 AM

Author Icon
Traken

I had stability issue with my x2 3800+ until i disabled the gated clk option in my bios , not sure if your bios has a similar option. with regard to ut, I have to set ut to a single core affinity otherwise the single thread jumps back and forth between each core.

Otherwise my dual core has worked great.

[Signature over size limits. Please see forum guidelines.]
 09/14/2005 02:21 AM

Author Icon
Vintage1945

QUOTE(Traken @ Sep 5 2005, 04:48 AM)I had stability issue with my x2 3800+ until i disabled the gated clk option in my bios , not sure if your bios has a similar option. with regard to ut, I have to set ut to a single core affinity otherwise the single thread jumps back and forth between each core.

Otherwise my dual core has worked great.
[right][snapback]495435[/snapback][/right]

i also have to use the affinity proggy for most emu's. w/o the affinity setter i would have returned x2, but otherwise love it.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information