Increase font size
Topic Title: CPU fan makes a lot of noise
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/10/2005 02:21 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/10/2005 02:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
wenospeak

I have the Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core (In A Box)
Model Number: 4400+ Toledo
Frequency (MHz): 2200

I've only had it for a week or so and all of a sudden the fan is making a lot of buzzing type noise. I have made some changes in the Bios and was wondering if those changes could cause the noise.

Basically, I turned off the Cool 'n Quiet mode because it was't really working. While it was enabled the CPU was reaching temps of nearly 150 degrees and the fan speed was less than 1000. I also played with the Overclocking features of my MSI Neo 4 Platinum Mobo and couldn't get the "Commander"(11%) or "General" (9%) settings to work. When selected, the Windows welcome screen is blacked out and doesn't go to the Log In screen. So I'm using the "Colonel" (7%) setting.

After I disabled Cool 'n Quiet, the fan speed came right up and the CPU temp came right down to a nice cool 84 degrees. However, now the fan makes a lot of noise. It almost sounds like it's just barely scraping on something (not enough to slow it down, but enough to cause a buzzing). I've routed the connection wires so there's no way they're even close to the fan blades. I even checked the wires between the fan and CPU (pushing slightly away from the fan) and this had no effect.

Since the unit is a combo CPU/Fan in a box, it clearly states using any other fan voids the warranty.

Any ideas of what might be causing the noise? Or at least a narrowing of the options? In other words, do you think it's mechanical (something in the way it's connected), or something in the 'settings" that might be causing the noise.

Many thanks,

Rick Calic

P.S. for all I know the fan unit shipped with the 4400+ is notorious for being noisy... Should I get a replacement fan (what's the quietest?) I'm using an Antec P180 case that's awesome for sound deadning.

-------------------------
Rick Calic
Keyboards/Drums
JAZZROCKWORLD.COM' ">http://www.jazzrockworld.com
 08/10/2005 04:56 PM

Author Icon
flippin_waffles

wenospeak, mine is almost silent, even when it ramps up to 4000 rpm or so. you could try letting the pc cool down, then remove the fan. turn on your pc for a second or two and see if the sound was coming from the fan and if maybe it was rubbing slightly on the heatsink. are you sure it is coming from the heatsink fan and not a case fan?
 08/10/2005 09:08 PM

Author Icon
wenospeak

good call,

It wasn't the CPU fan and it wasn't the case fans, it was the Southbridge Fan. The way I found out was I just shoved my hand in there and stopped each one until the culprit was found.

Any ideas on how to shut it up?

I'll email MSI since it's a brand new board and get back to you.

Thanks,

Rick Calic

-------------------------
Rick Calic
Keyboards/Drums
JAZZROCKWORLD.COM' ">http://www.jazzrockworld.com
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information