Increase font size
Topic Title: "Cannot copy the file: ****"
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/19/2005 11:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/19/2005 11:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
reckdarippa

I am having tons of trouble trying to install Windows XP SP2. I just completed my first computer build, here are the vital specs:

MSI K8N nVIDIA nForce Neo4 SLI Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
1 GB OCZ Gold memory (2-2-2-7)
250 GB Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

I have the hard drive connected to the SATA slot 1, and my DVD drives (2) connected to the IDE 1 slot. Everything starts up fine.

When I went to install my OEM version of Windows XP Home w/ SP2 the first time, the drive formatted fine and went to copying the files for setup. At about 56%, I stated getting messages "Cannot copy the file: _____" This happened at least 15-20 times. Some of the file names were "usr*.*" and one I know must be critical was "processr.sys". I skipped the files and continued with the setup, which eventually failed.... I have a copy of XP Professional (original) lying around, so I go to install that. It installs without a problem, but when I downloaded SP2 and tried to install it, I get an error that says something like "ASN1 unexpected end of data".... So, I create a slipstream disc with XP SP2. I boot to the disc, format the hard drive, and I get the same problem ("Cannot copy the file: ___.*") that I had with XP Home w/ SP2 while setup files are being copied. This tells me there might be something incompatible with my hardware and SP2. Is there anything I need to change in the BIOS? As a side note, Windows 2000 installs fine and upgrades to service pack 4 without a problem. I would really like to get my computer to install with the XP Home disc w/ SP2 so that it will recognize my 250 GB drive as one partition. Any ideas why I am getting the "Cannot copy the file: _____" errors?? By the way, i have tried installing the RAID files at setup (Pressing F6) and without doing that, but get similar results... after I installed the RAID files at setup, it seemed to give me less "Cannot copy the file: _____" messages.

Thanks for your help.
 08/20/2005 01:26 AM

Author Icon
dot_pixel651

does your mobo support SATA2? if not, then you have to set the jumpers on the WD drive to run in SATA.

EDIT: bad optical drive?

dot.

-------------------------
AMD Opteron 165
ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
PNY 2x512MB DDR500
eVGA 7800GT
WD 2x160 / WD 250
ASUS 16x DVD-ROM / NEC 16x DVD-RW
Samsung 1.44
Ultra X-Finity 600
 08/20/2005 02:19 AM

Author Icon
reckdarippa

QUOTE(dot_pixel651 @ Aug 20 2005, 12:26 AM)does your mobo support SATA2? if not, then you have to set the jumpers on the WD drive to run in SATA.

EDIT: bad optical drive?

dot.
[right][snapback]484881[/snapback][/right]

The mobo has 4 SATA II ports, at least that's what the spec sheet says (http://www.msicomputer.com/pro...Neo4/SLI&class=mb).

Is there a way to tell if I have a bad optical drive? Would the other OS's (Win XP Pro original, Windows 2000) install without any problem if I did have a bad optical drive?

EDIT: I tried installing XP SP2 from my DVD Drive and DVD-RW drive... they both seem to work okay, but i'm not 100% confident that that isn't the problem.
 08/20/2005 06:17 AM

Author Icon
Max Payne

If the ram is two sticks of 512 try installing with one stick of ram. I have had this issue with a bad stick of kingston.

If it is a one gig stick, download and run memtest 86 and check it. I know OCZ is great ram but nobody is infallable.

-------------------------
Opteron 185 @ 3ghz. | 2 gig Muskin redline DDR 500<br>A8R32-MVP Deluxe | X1800XT Crossfired<br>Soundblaster X-Fi 64 | Enermax Liberty 620 watt PSU<br>Liteon DVD and DVDRW/Combo | SyncMaster 930B<br>Other BS that just kind of orbits the Rig.
 08/24/2005 08:05 AM

Author Icon
reckdarippa

QUOTE(Max Payne @ Aug 20 2005, 05:17 AM)If the ram is two sticks of 512 try installing with one stick of ram. I have had this issue with a bad stick of kingston.

If it is a one gig stick, download and run memtest 86 and check it. I know OCZ is great ram but nobody is infallable.
[right][snapback]484968[/snapback][/right]

Excellent call on the memory! I downloaded Memtest86, and I got errors on Test #5 with my 2x512MB sticks in both of my mobo's dual channel mode setups. The sticks ran memtest fine in single channel mode, though. What I ended up doing was upgrading my motherboard's chipset to the latest version - nvidia 6.66 - (bios was already the latest version) and changing some settings in the bios. The memory wasn't being auto-detected properly by the bios, so I changed some fileds to OCZ's specs (2-2-2-5 latency, 2.75 V). I also changed the CPU voltage to 1.45 V. I put the memory back into dual channel mode, and it ran through memetest without any issues! I could install XP SP2, and everything appears to be fine as of now. I think the main problem was the memory voltage. I may try changing he CPU voltage back to auto or whatever the default setting was, not sure if that was a problem. I'll run memetest after trying that and see if it passes. Thanks again to everyone for their help! I'm so relieved to get this issue out of the way. /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information