Increase font size
Topic Title: Do I need a new cpu?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/22/2005 07:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/22/2005 07:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
cyanideoverdose

Ok I know this question has probably been asked a million times already.. but..
I have an athlon 64 3000+ 1.8ghz processor its been working for 6 months no problem on an abit av8 motherboard.. a month ago i turned off the computer to remove a stick of ram and when I powered it back on.. Nothing.. the fans would move about 1/4" and stop and the little diagnostic screen on the board would give some weird numbers..
So i figured that the motherboard was broken.. so i bought an asus a8n-sli deluxe and an ultra 500-watt psu with an ati x700 pci-e card and the computer would turn on but not post.. returned both video card and motherboard thinking it was one or the other and got an abit an8-sli and it does the same thing.. with both motherboards i would get no error beeps or anything.. but with the abit if i take out the cpu i get the no-cpu error beep.. but with the cpu in i get nothing... just sits there..
 10/22/2005 08:01 PM

Author Icon
PyroFire

Sounds alot like a dead CPU. Have you got a friends system you know for sure works you can try that cpu in? Also check the pins at the bottom and it's the right CPU for the new boards your buying. On your original board (abit av8) you could also try a CMOS clear and see if that helps.

I hope you get this resolved /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

-PyroFire

-------------------------

PyroFires BF2 Stats' ">http://www.alliedtribalforces....bf2/stats/pyrofire.htm

"Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains saves both."
Erwin Rommel - The Third Reich
 10/22/2005 08:44 PM

Author Icon
cyanideoverdose

QUOTE(PyroFire @ Oct 22 2005, 07:01 PM)Sounds alot like a dead CPU. Have you got a friends system you know for sure works you can try that cpu in? Also check the pins at the bottom and it's the right CPU for the new boards your buying. On your original board (abit av8) you could also try a CMOS clear and see if that helps.

I hope you get this resolved /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

-PyroFire
[right][snapback]529035[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for the reply.. sadly to say the only buddy i have anywhere near me is an intel fan.. but all three boards are socket 939 motherboards, so the cpu is the right one.. And I tried everything on the av8 even called abit and after half-n-hour they said to send in the board for rma.. but as I feared all the answers seem to point to a dead cpu... /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' />
 10/22/2005 10:47 PM

Author Icon
stealth13777

QUOTE(cyanideoverdose @ Oct 22 2005, 07:44 PM)Thanks for the reply.. sadly to say the only buddy i have anywhere near me is an intel fan..  but all three boards are socket 939 motherboards, so the cpu is the right one.. And I tried everything on the av8 even called abit and after half-n-hour they said to send in the board for rma.. but as I feared all the answers seem to point to a dead cpu...  /sad.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='sad.gif' />
[right][snapback]529052[/snapback][/right]

Have u tried any other ram in it... the fact that it was messed up when u changed the ram points to a possible problem with the ram.

And remember to always ground yourself before toshing components in the computer... static electricity really can kill parts.

-------------------------
-The Desktop: Abit NF7-S V2 w/ the old AXP-M 2500+ (OC'd) and TT Volcano 12, 1 gig RAM, 37GB WD Raptor, 80Gb Hitachi, XFX NVidia GEForce FX 5700LE (OC'd), Enermax Aluminum Case and XClio 450watt psu, DL DVD-R/RW, DVD-ROM (+ floppy)
SB Audigy 2 ZS
-Everyday:HP Laptop 15.4WS w/Turion64x2 TL-56, 2gig, 160gb, Lightscribe DVD-R/RW, NVidia graphics, Vista
 10/23/2005 03:09 PM

Author Icon
cyanideoverdose

QUOTE(stealth13777 @ Oct 22 2005, 09:47 PM)Have u tried any other ram in it... the fact that it was messed up when u changed the ram points to a possible problem with the ram. 

And remember to always ground yourself before toshing components in the computer... static electricity really can kill parts.
[right][snapback]529103[/snapback][/right]

Thanks for the help.. I will try some other ram, but the ram was working for a long time.. and the new abit an8-sli motherboard works fine with that ram.. just not with the cpu in..
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information