Increase font size
Topic Title: dying cpu fan
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/29/2005 08:14 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/29/2005 08:14 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Pebble

Hi - first post, hope to right place

The 7 month old stock cpu fan on my Athlon XP3500 (Winchester - PIB) has recently become very noisy and increasingly has problems rotating on start up. Currently working with the side off the box so that I can give it bit of help if it stops spinning. Problem doesn't happen on every boot up and up until a week ago ran without problems - good temps and very little noise.

Don't really want to RMA as I can't be that long without a functioning pc.

Can I replace just the fan, by removing the 4 screws and screwing in a repacelment - I don't really want to have to disassemble processor, h/s and fan and re-apply thermal compound in order to replace the whole unit. If that is possible what size do I need and any recommendations?

TIA

10/29/2005 10:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pcy

Yes.

It's best to look at the fan and see if it says what power or amps it drtaws, and replace it with a similar one.

But fans are very simple objects, and provided yu get one that will fit and runs at the same speed it should be fine.

If a bigger one will fit you may find you get the same airflow (i.e cooling) for less noise. A larger fan with the same power or amp rating (voltage is constant) will move the same omount of air at a lower rpm, hence less noise.

Peter

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information