Increase font size
Topic Title: SATA Question
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/26/2005 05:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/26/2005 05:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dot_pixel651

i have a gigabyte ga-k8ns ultra 939 motherboard. it comes with 2 sata controllers. one is silicon image and the other is nvidia (i think its the one on the chipset). which one would be better to use as far as not lagging up the system and the one with less probelms?

dot.

-------------------------
AMD Opteron 165
ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
PNY 2x512MB DDR500
eVGA 7800GT
WD 2x160 / WD 250
ASUS 16x DVD-ROM / NEC 16x DVD-RW
Samsung 1.44
Ultra X-Finity 600
 07/27/2005 03:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
happyjohn

Dot...the nvidia sata controller is located on the nividia chip and therefore doesn't require an additional system bus, PCI-x lane or IRQ assignment to the cpu to communicate, whereas the silicon image controller is independant of the chipset and MB controller functions and does require there to be some form of additional open communication to the cpu VIA the nvidia chip, one more link in the chain = slower response, although it's probably so small as to be unnoticable...but, I know that one of the sata controllers will lock at a certain speed and the other one won't, which is not a problem as long as you're running stock speeds for your CPU and memory. If you overclock and are using the unlockable controller, that controller will want to follow the processing increase and could lead to errors and malfunctioning, and I don't recall which is which, sorry... perhaps you could check on another forum to find this out, heres a link to Overclockers Forums' ">http://www.ocforums.com/index.php, that should get you going...happy computing...

-------------------------
AMD 64 3000+ Winchester Fastest 1.8g ever made! | MSI K8N Neo 2 platinum Nvidia Nforce 3 Ultra 250 BIOS 1.90 | 2x512 super talent 2.5-3-3-8@1t command rate 420mhz
MSI gForce mx100/200 AGP 4x | Maxtor DiamondMax9 120gig SATA
Drives:BenQ dvdrw+-dl, sony floppy
Windows XP Pro SP2
Case: cardboard box, usually wet | PSU:car battery with small wire leads | stock cooling except the wet cardboard box
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information