Increase font size
Topic Title: athlon 64 driver question
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/25/2005 05:22 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/25/2005 05:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Venomous21

Should one install the athlon 64 driver pack for windows xp sp2? Is it just an update to the package included in xp? Does it provide better stability? performance?

I've never installed a driver package for a processor before so I'm pretty unfamiliar with the reason for doing so.

From the horses mouth:
AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2.2 - Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need. Download this Setup Installation program (EXE) to automatically update all the files necessary for installation. This package is recommended for users whom desire a graphical user interface for installation. This .EXE driver is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD Athlon 64 processor on Windows XP SP2 and Windows 2003 SP1.

This sounds like cool'n'quiet which I want to stay from...but I guess it isn't. You can't overclock with cool'n'quiet (from my knowledge). CAn you overclock with the athlon 64 processor driver?

Thanks
 06/25/2005 06:42 PM

Author Icon
flippin_waffles

no venomous you are right in that it is just to allow CnQ to work on A64 chips. there's no performance gain involved. you can overclock regardless of whether or not the driver is installed.
 06/25/2005 06:46 PM

Author Icon
dot_pixel651

well as far as i heard the new drivers have some buggs in them but i wouldnt know. i dont use coolnquite. im just saying what ive heard. in my opinion i wouldnt use coolnquiet if your going to overclock. what brand of motherboard do you have? mine is a gigabyte and with my board it comes with a feature that is called CPU Smart Fan. i use it and its great i can keep the noise level down and i can adjust the fan speed. what exactly are you wanting to do?

dot.

-------------------------
AMD Opteron 165
ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
PNY 2x512MB DDR500
eVGA 7800GT
WD 2x160 / WD 250
ASUS 16x DVD-ROM / NEC 16x DVD-RW
Samsung 1.44
Ultra X-Finity 600
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information