Increase font size
Topic Title: Heatsink installation
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/27/2005 06:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/27/2005 06:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TedM

OK, here's a question so basic I'm actually embarassed to ask it (first-timer).

I just received the boxed version (including the heatsink and fan) of the AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (Venice), and will be installing it on my new Asus A8N -SLI Deluxe.

The instructions included with the CPU are woefully inadequate (for me), consisting of only pictures. The pictures show installing the CPU on the board, then installing the fan on top of the CPU, but it doesn't show (or say) anything anything about the thermal paste!

There is a grey substance on the bottom of the heat sink (the side that touches the CPU). Is that it - nothing more is necessary? Should I clean the top of the CPU with anything first? Should I wipe the grey stuff off the heat sink and use some other thermal paste like Arctic Silver, etc.?

This is about the only detail I'm really unsure of - the rest looks pretty straightforward, including flashing the bios to update for the Venice core as I've seen in another post on the identical system.

BTW specifically regarding the bios update - wouldn't it be easier to download the latest bios onto a floppy or CD and simply haved it available when starting the new system?

Thanks for the help!
 06/27/2005 06:38 PM

Author Icon
dot_pixel651

the compund on the bottom of the heatsink that AMD provides is the thermal compound. you dont need to add some other compound. and for the installation for the heatsink, it should be symetrical. Mine was symetrical. you might want to have someone else explain about installing the heatsink. but i would think its symetrical.

-------------------------
AMD Opteron 165
ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
PNY 2x512MB DDR500
eVGA 7800GT
WD 2x160 / WD 250
ASUS 16x DVD-ROM / NEC 16x DVD-RW
Samsung 1.44
Ultra X-Finity 600
 06/27/2005 08:08 PM

Author Icon
jamesm51

while you are at this stage, you might want to pick up a bottle of arctic silver 5 - it's a thermal compound that will reduce your CPU temp by a couple of degrees C.
 06/28/2005 12:20 AM

Author Icon
hubs8907

The little grey square on the bottom of the HSF is the themal paste. IIRC, it is some Shin Etsu stuff, so it is ok. AS5 would be better. However, there is some question as to whether or not it voids your warranty.

hubs8907
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information