Increase font size
Topic Title: Crash problems
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/21/2005 12:08 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/21/2005 12:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Seps

I'm having problems with my new build crashin randomly (usually once a day). It doesn't seem to be anything that i can do reproducibly so i'm wondering if there is some conflict somewhere that i havn't been able to find yet.

Specs:

AMD64 3500+ (Overclocked using the dynamic overclocker in the bios..like 3%)
MSI Neo2 platinum board
1gig Kingston ram
X800 pro video card
Western Digital raptor SATA drive
no soundcard atm using onboard one
500 W PS
XP home

Any help would be appreciated

Seps
 04/21/2005 12:31 PM

Author Icon
killaz1337

Does it still crash when you are not overclocked?

What is the brand of your PSU, and how many amps are there on the +12V rail?

-------------------------
[b][u]System 1)| AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Windsor | Abit KN9 Ultra W/ nForce 570 Ultra Chipset | 1GB (512x2) OCZ DDR-II 800 @4-4-4-12[/b][/u]
 04/21/2005 02:52 PM

Author Icon
Prelude76

can you be more specifc? what are you doing when it crashes? is it BSOD, a system freeze, or an instant reboot? if it is BSOD, whats error message saying?

if its sporadic crashing, i'd suspect RAM. run Memtest86+ from a bootable floopy and let it run like half an hour.

if it locks up during intense processing, like video encoding or gaming, it could be:

overheating issues, (check temperature readings. over 55C on load = possible instability)

power supply issues, (yes, even 500W no-name PSU, if the 12V is low, can cause you to have power issues. check the 12V reading in BIOS or some analysis software to see it dips below 11.7V on load. if it is, that's most likely your problem)

video card may be overheating (make sure it's fan is spinning, and take off any video card overclocking to see if you can troubleshoot the problem. also, try a different version of the video driver to see if problem gets resolved)

or it could just be another windows OS issue. when was the last time it was re-installed? is it well maintained?
 04/21/2005 05:29 PM

Author Icon
Seps

Sporadic System freeze. It doesn't seem to follow a pattern ie. during high usage or anything like that.

I'll have to check the PSU when i get home but it came with the thermaltake case (all i can remember from home). The system is well maintained and i'm pretty sure its not a heat issue cause i normally run around 40ºC.

Seps
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information