AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Partial POST, memory (controller?) issues..
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/25/2005 01:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/25/2005 01:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
T0rin

I've got a mobile 3400+ CH 754, 1GB OCZ pc4000 VX, OCZ 520W powerstream and a DFI nf3 250gb. Recently (the past 2 weeks) my POST would freeze after the CPU name string was displayed. What normally follows the CPU string is the memory test where it shows you the amount of system memory, then timings, etc. When it would freeze after the CPU name string, I would "fix" it by re-seating both DIMMs (in slots 1 & 2), after which it would boot up fine.

Yesterday afternoon, it started doing the same thing again. After re-seating it, it booted up but only detected 256mb of ram on the POST, in the BIOS and in memtest86+. I swapped the DIMMs around, changed memory slots around, tried 1 DIMM at a time, pretty much every combo possible. It either would hang after the CPU name string displayed, or would POST only showing 256mb of ram. It doesn't seem to be limiting to happening with any particular memory module, so I assume it is not the memory.... it seems very random.

Normally I would assume this is the motherboard, and the DIMM slots were going bad. However since the mem controller is on the CPU, I figured it might be the CPU.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Has anyone experienced similiar problems? I don't want to spend a week RMAing the motherboard, taking everything apart, etc. if it's the CPU.... at the same time I dont want to RMA the CPU if it's the motherboard. Is there anything I can do to determine where the problem is?
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information