Increase font size
Topic Title: Core Center Voltage Readings for AMD3500+
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/04/2006 08:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/04/2006 08:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
rdboon

Hey all, I began this topic on the MSI forum but it turned into a debate on power supplies, all I wanted was some help.

Basically, I built my new PC the other day (see signature below for specs) and everything is working brilliantly, accept that the Core Center software that comes with the MSI motherboards which allows you to monitor your hardware settings etc, is showing my +3.3v as being currently 1.89v and my +5v reading as 3.28v.

These seem awfully low?
I upped my PSU to a 450w good quality Jeantech unit, but still get low voltage readings here. Core center seems to think this is bad enough to warn me with annoying alarms because these are below the thresholds.

But the system is running so well, surely I would know about it if my voltages were that low?!

The other problem I am having is that the D-Bracket (another MSI gadget which uses lights to help you diagnose problems) occasionaly hangs on four red leds when I boot up, which apparently means "processor dead or not installed correctly" but yet if you reset the computer it goes green and stays green and doesn't go red again!

Surely if there was a serious problem with my CPU it would remember it everytime and perhaps just not work? Most people who get four red lights have real problems like not being able to boot up, but my machine is running like a dream with brilliant system and CPU temperatures.

Any ideas on either of the above points would be greatly appreciated, I personally think there's nothing wrong with my system, but am paranoid that my self-build might fail on me soon!

Regards
rdboon

-------------------------
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Motherboard: MSI K8N NEO 4 Platinum - S939 nForce4 Ultra ATX (BIOS 7125)
Memory: 2gb DDR 400
HD: Maxtor 80gb 7200rpm SATA drive
Additional HD: Freecom External 80gb USB HD
VGA: Sapphire Radeon X550 256mb PCI-E DVI
Sound: M-Audio Delta 10/10lt
PSU: Jeantech 450w +12v, +3.3v, +5v

07/04/2006 09:03 AM

Author Icon
marcus_667

if youre paranoid of faliure change that psu as jeantech arent good at all get a good quality psu like a tagan enermax or seasonic or a hiper power supply, not all programs can read voltages accurately
the only real accurate way is to get a multimetre to tell voltages but i think a better psu and i know u said u upgraded but i dont really see that as a good psu , all in all nice system and i get paranoid about my system failing so youre not alone

First rig: Intel core 2 qx6700@ 3.5 gHz|ge-force 8800gtx sli|3 gig gskill ram|750 gig seagate and a 150 gig raptor | anted ninehundred case| enermax galaxy 1kw psu | dell 3007

Second Rig: Amd Athlon X2 6000+ | 8800 gtx|wd raptor 74 and a 320 seagate | 2 gig ram|sb x-fi | seasonic m12 700watt | coolermaster stacker 830 black | dell 2407
 07/04/2006 09:11 AM

Author Icon
rdboon

quote:

Originally posted by: marcus_667
if youre paranoid of faliure change that psu as jeantech arent good at all get a good quality psu like a tagan enermax or seasonic or a hiper power supply, not all programs can read voltages accurately
the only real accurate way is to get a multimetre to tell voltages but i think a better psu and i know u said u upgraded but i dont really see that as a good psu , all in all nice system and i get paranoid about my system failing so youre not alone

I will be changing my power supply! Thanks. I am going to try a different voltage reader tonight to see if that reads any different, I don't trust Core Center that much, not after it failed to detect my CPU fan was even spinning until I got a newer version installed.
I do actually have a digital multimeter but am not really up on how to use it properly!
It just frustrated me because I'm proud of how well this system runs, and how good the temperatures are etc, and I don't like the thought that something such as inadequate power is going to ruin things.
Thanks again

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Motherboard: MSI K8N NEO 4 Platinum - S939 nForce4 Ultra ATX (BIOS 7125)
Memory: 2gb DDR 400
HD: Maxtor 80gb 7200rpm SATA drive
Additional HD: Freecom External 80gb USB HD
VGA: Sapphire Radeon X550 256mb PCI-E DVI
Sound: M-Audio Delta 10/10lt
PSU: Jeantech 450w +12v, +3.3v, +5v

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information