Increase font size
Topic Title: My Athlon 64 X2 4200+ running badly
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/01/2006 10:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/01/2006 10:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dae147

Hi, I'm not very knowleadgeable when it comes to processors but I'm sure theres gotta be something wrong with this. I just bought a compaq presario with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ ,1gb ddr2 4200 memory, windows xp media center edition (SP2), and just an integrated video card. I know the athlon 64 X2 is supposed to run at 2.2 GHZ but on my system info it says it is only running at 950 MHZ!!! And the computer doesn't seem to be that fast. However when I go into BIOS, it displays 2.2 GHZ as the running speed of the proccesor. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING??? Could somebody please explain to me whats going on? Is this normal? Can I fix it? Please somebody let me know cause its really starting to worry me. Thanks
 11/01/2006 10:46 PM

Author Icon
EdG

quote:

Originally posted by: dae147
Hi, I'm not very knowleadgeable when it comes to processors but I'm sure theres gotta be something wrong with this. I just bought a compaq presario with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ ,1gb ddr2 4200 memory, windows xp media center edition (SP2), and just an integrated video card. I know the athlon 64 X2 is supposed to run at 2.2 GHZ but on my system info it says it is only running at 950 MHZ!!! And the computer doesn't seem to be that fast. However when I go into BIOS, it displays 2.2 GHZ as the running speed of the proccesor. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING??? Could somebody please explain to me whats going on? Is this normal? Can I fix it? Please somebody let me know cause its really starting to worry me. Thanks

Cool n Quite (CnQ) is probably enabled, it adjusts the CPU MHz and voltage on the fly as power is needed, though a 4200+ normally runs at 1.1GHz when not workling hard. CPU-Z may be a better program to monitor this.

You can enable/disable CnQ in Windows power management .. see AMD64 Cool n Quite Instructions for Windows (.PDF file - 553KB)

11/02/2006 12:23 AM

Author Icon
dae147

quote:

Originally posted by: EdG
Cool n Quite (CnQ) is probably enabled, it adjusts the CPU MHz and voltage on the fly as power is needed, though a 4200+ normally runs at 1.1GHz when not workling hard. CPU-Z may be a better program to monitor this.

You can enable/disable CnQ in Windows power management .. see AMD64 Cool n Quite Instructions for Windows (.PDF file - 553KB)

Thanks a lot EDG... after changing the power settings to ALWAYS ON, it started displaying 2.2 GHZ... However, when on CnQ, even when I was multitasking or executing high resource demanding programs, the system info still showed the processor to be working at 950 MHZ... it didn't raise or lower the speed.. I assume thats standard? Anyways thanks a bunch.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information