Topic Title: Yet another spontaneous resetting problem
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/11/2006 11:35 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/11/2006 11:35 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
transistor

Hello,
I am having a problem with the brand new system that I build resetting every now and then. The specs are as follows:
- AMD64 X2 4600+
- Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 Motherboard
- 2GB OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
- eVGA GeForce 7600GT Superclocked
- 320GB Seagate SATA2 HDD
- Antec NeoHE500 Power Supply
- Pioneer DVD-R/W

When I first built the machine, it was rebooting a few times a day. Using speedfan I found that the core voltage was actually around 1.38V when it was set in the BIOS to 1.35V so I changed it to 1.30V in the BIOS and now it sits at 1.33V. The system now only restarts maybe once a day. The funny thing is that it doesn't restart during load. I have not yet had it restart while playing oblivion at max settings. I have checked the Events list and there is not report of a problem just before it restarts (likewise I have it set to no reboot on BSOD and it still resets). The temperatures as logged by speed fan are rather stable. While it is kind of high at 44C while idle, it doesn't go above 45C while loaded. The motherboard's temperature is 36C-41C depending on the time of day. I have tested the memory with Memtest 3.2 for 10h last night and there were no errors detected. Unfortunately I do not have a power supply that I can try as a substitute. I have not connected the 12V PCI-E power connector as my PS doesn't have the right connected but since it's not restartting under intense video card use, I figure that wouldn't change much. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
 08/11/2006 01:05 PM

Author Icon
Haz

quote:

Originally posted by: transistor
Hello,
I am having a problem with the brand new system that I build resetting every now and then. The specs are as follows:
- AMD64 X2 4600+
- Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 Motherboard
- 2GB OCZ Platinum DDR2-800
- eVGA GeForce 7600GT Superclocked
- 320GB Seagate SATA2 HDD
- Antec NeoHE500 Power Supply
- Pioneer DVD-R/W

When I first built the machine, it was rebooting a few times a day. Using speedfan I found that the core voltage was actually around 1.38V when it was set in the BIOS to 1.35V so I changed it to 1.30V in the BIOS and now it sits at 1.33V. The system now only restarts maybe once a day. The funny thing is that it doesn't restart during load. I have not yet had it restart while playing oblivion at max settings. I have checked the Events list and there is not report of a problem just before it restarts (likewise I have it set to no reboot on BSOD and it still resets). The temperatures as logged by speed fan are rather stable. While it is kind of high at 44C while idle, it doesn't go above 45C while loaded. The motherboard's temperature is 36C-41C depending on the time of day. I have tested the memory with Memtest 3.2 for 10h last night and there were no errors detected. Unfortunately I do not have a power supply that I can try as a substitute. I have not connected the 12V PCI-E power connector as my PS doesn't have the right connected but since it's not restartting under intense video card use, I figure that wouldn't change much. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

i suggest:
1. new bios
2. new power supply with loads of power just to be safe.
3. it looks to me like its restarting due to over heating.

-------------------------
AMD X2 3800+ (Manchester)
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
1GB Samsung highdensity ram
Asus extreme 6600N silencer
450 W true power PSU (acepower)

A true man learns from his mistakes and never repeats them.
 08/11/2006 02:03 PM

Author Icon
transistor

Hello,
Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that I've updated my BIOS to the latest version F4. I still don't have the means to replace the power supply (especially seeing as it was $100 to begin with). I didn't think the temperatures were high enough to be an issue though. Are these temperatures too high? Could it be the motherboard overheating? (It has no fan, just heatpipes). Thanks again

08/11/2006 02:55 PM

Author Icon
Cr@zY_UKRaiNiaN

ur max temp is at 70C

idle 44C
under load 45C

maybe u meant idle 34C? cause going from idle to load and ur CPU heats up by 1C....thats some nice heatsink

I would RTFM (read the fookin manual) one more time to make sure all the stuff is set to what it should be

Everything we create, we use to destroy.
Yeah, we call it HUMAN NATURE.
 08/11/2006 03:02 PM

Author Icon
transistor

No it is 44C and it's the stock fan. The fan speed is changed by the bios but I don't think it changes enough to account for the issue. On my old computer I had to use WPCRSet to get the processor to halt during idle so I suspect I need to do the same in order to get the temperature down (I'm running win2k btw). Still, that temperature shouldn't hurt the processor so I think it must be the motherboard overheating if anything. Btw, what manual should I read? BIOS settings are default and I had to hunt around a bit to find out to turn down the voltage in the first place. Thanks
 08/11/2006 11:38 PM

Author Icon
transistor

I disabled the variable CPU fan in the BIOS causing it to run at full speed. My temperatures fell to ~34C idle and ~37C under load. I then had it running folding@home and I got a reset after about an hour or so. Temperatures varied between 34C and 37C while it was running which is much less than the before. Motherboard temperatures were 30C - 31C while before it was around 40C. With this, I don't think temperature is the problem. What else could possibly be wrong? Thanks.
 08/16/2006 11:28 AM

Author Icon
transistor

Hello,
Well I've tried many things but I seem to still be getting the problem. Sometimes it hangs but other times it resets so I don't really think it's power. I tried unplugging my flash drive which seemed to work until this morning when it reset again (and then hung at some point after sitting at the login screen). I've tried swapping memory around a bit which I am trying again. Does anyone else have some ideas that I can try please?
Thanks
 08/16/2006 12:42 PM

Author Icon
Cr@zY_UKRaiNiaN

try memtest to see if ur memory is fine

Everything we create, we use to destroy.
Yeah, we call it HUMAN NATURE.
 08/16/2006 05:27 PM

Author Icon
mtp_2002

/excl.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":excl:" border="0" alt="excl.gif" /> ITS your Video Card /excl.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":excl:" border="0" alt="excl.gif" />
I had the same problem!
There is a problem with some overclocked versions of the GeForce 7 Sereis Video Cards being unstabe
The manufacturers overclocked the cards outside of the speced range
You need to contact your card manufacture to see if they have a fix or will send you a new card
I am using a the same MOBO, CPU, and amount of RAM as you are but,
I have a 550W Power Supply, BFG Gefoce 7900GT OC 256MB, and my memory is DDR2-533 Coursair

When I put a BFG GeForec FX5500 OC in my system the crashes stoped its only PCI but will have to do for now
BFG will ship me a replacement GeForce 7900GT OC within 24hrs-48hrs of recieving my defective card.
Try using another Video card if you have another PCIe or PCI card laying around I was able to use the same drivers so my swap was easy.

08/19/2006 11:56 AM

Author Icon
transistor

I've tried memtest running for 10h and no errors. The latest is that it hung after being on for 29h and running folding@home most of that time. The temperatures were fine although I think some of the other readings are not correct. I don't know what the northbridge temperature is but I know that my processor and video card temps are all good. Since it is hanging and not resetting all the time I don't think it is power. It could be the video card but unfortunately I don't have a spare PCIe or PCI video card to test with. I found http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q270715/ and was wondering if it is possible that this could also apply to some PCIe cards?

Thanks
 08/20/2006 08:22 PM

Author Icon
mtp_2002

You can find PCI video cards online relativly cheap depending on where you look.
Newegg.com seems to have some good deals
but let me know if replacing the video card does it for you.
 08/23/2006 08:24 AM

Author Icon
MediuM16A2

Hey guys..

i have the same problem with my setup. I frequently get hangs, random restarts and program just crashing to desktop. I have had the ram and video card in another machine for months without any problems. I seem to think its just the mobo.

Im running the following..

GA - m59SLI - S5 mobo
AMD AM2 X2 4600+
MSI 7800GTX
2 GB Corsair 667MHZ RAM.

anyone have anymore ideaS?
 08/23/2006 02:17 PM

Author Icon
HAE

Well, let me join the club...

My system:

AMD 64 X2 4600+
Abit KN9SLI Mobo
ASUS 7900GT TOP 256
2Gb Corsair PC5300 667 Mhz

As I'd been on all kinds of forums since I got this system (saturday.....) believe me I'd tried every possible solution written on the forums with no improvement what's so ever.

I did solve a minor issue concerning the random rebooting ritual......McFee virus scanner kept looking for a DHCP adress, couldn't find it and simply quit the whole system. Reverted back to Norton and so far this works. (No more reboots while serving the internet......checking the forums!! )

On the other hand, I simply cannot get any game working!!! Each time or the program quits or I get an reboot (with the event code of an application hang error) /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I tried to use the AMD core optimizer........removed it again as it gave me more reboots with no event code so it remained untracable).

This week I'll try to do a swap with the graphics card ( to a FX5200 256) just to see wether that will work.

Honestly.....this system drives me nuts /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

Cheers,
Hank
 08/26/2006 10:53 AM

Author Icon
peterjohnson

I have very similar problem - built the system a week ago:
Processor: AMD 64 X2 4600
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9500-AM2
Disks: 2 x Western Digital WD3200KS
Memory : 2Gb (2X1Gb) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC6400 (800)
PSU: Nesteq 450W

Several BSODs : message : driver-irql-not-less-or-equal.

I ugraded BIOS to version 4 - no improvement,

DOS memtest runs OK overnight.
Using DOS Partition Magic was also no problems.

Windows memtest (either one two processes) would crash after a few minutes
I also noticed that it was sometimes very slow to start up IE - like 60 seconds - network connection problem??

I though I'd start removing things so I disabled both of the network ports and un-plugged network cable.
Then ran Windows memtest (two processes) - no problem ran for about an hour until I stopped it.

Plugged network cable back in on the motherboard port which I had not used earlier.
All now seems ok. In fact have been running Prime95 stress-test for the last two hours whilst looking for
anyone else's similar problems.

Trouble is I now daren't switch it off.

Is there something flakey with the network driver or even one of the physical ports on the motherboard.

I'll leave running for some time and then switch the port and report back.

Probably nothing to do with things, but of slight interest, I looked via msconfig to see what was starting at boot time - there is something called JMRaidTool.exe. I can find no information on what this is whatsover from Google - two hits only????
 08/28/2006 11:28 AM

Author Icon
transistor

quote:

Originally posted by: peterjohnson
Is there something flakey with the network driver or even one of the physical ports on the motherboard.

Yeah I've heard the NVIDIA network drivers (the firewall and network manager) are causing problems and don't really work to begin with. I've removed them and although it didn't fix my problem, I didn't miss anything with them either.

As for my problem, I've currently completely disabled USB (disabling only 2.0 didn't work) and I'm overdriving my RAM voltage by 0.2V. So far my system has been up for just under 2 days which is the longest so far so we shall see. I suspect it is the overdriving that is helping (using dual channel), especially if things work better when you only have one stick in. Check your RAM information before trying this. My OCZ RAM is still guarenteed when running 0.2V over spec.

Here's hoping.
 08/29/2006 11:59 PM

Author Icon
transistor

quote:

Originally posted by: transistor

As for my problem, I've currently completely disabled USB (disabling only 2.0 didn't work) and I'm overdriving my RAM voltage by 0.2V. So far my system has been up for just under 2 days which is the longest so far so we shall see. I suspect it is the overdriving that is helping (using dual channel), especially if things work better when you only have one stick in. Check your RAM information before trying this. My OCZ RAM is still guarenteed when running 0.2V over spec.

Here's hoping.

82h and counting. I looked up the specs for my RAM and it's actually meant to run at 2.1V so as it is I'm running 0.1V under the normal voltage. It could still be USB which is currently disabled but I don't want to restart just yet in order to test that part.
 08/30/2006 12:34 PM

Author Icon
psistla

You can add me to this list as well I've only installed the AMD dual core driver and not any optimizers. Installed my X-fi after installing windows. Gonna run memtest today though on my mushkin xp4000 ddr500 ram, because even at stock speeds I've been having issues. Meanwhile, my roommate with his Core 2 Duo e6400 is having no problems...grrrr.

=======================================================================
Athlon64 X2 4600+ @ 2700MHz, Arctic Freezer 64 Pro | DFI Ultra-D mobo | OCZ GameXtreme 600W Quad Rail PSU | 2 x 1gb Mushkin Enhanced DDR500 | XFX 8800GTS 320MB XXX Edition PCI-e x16 | Hauppage HVR1600 ATSC tuner | Creative X-Fi Fatil1ty Gamer Pro | WD SATA 250G 16mb, Samsung 160G 8mb, WD 80G 8mb, Toshiba 2.5" 60G ext., NEC 3520AW | MSI Dual-Net 802.11G/Bluetooth Combo card | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech MX-518
 08/30/2006 05:29 PM

Author Icon
mtp_2002

Sorry, my suggestion did not work for you transistor.
I am currently waiting on my replacement card from BFG, shipped it out last week ground did not feel like spending 5X the the price to overnight it. but since swaping the video cards I have not had a single system crash.

One note to ask yall, do you every during system boot up get some BS blue screen of death during windows startup.

I get a blue screen every so often durring a boot-up or restart that tell me my MOBO is not APCI compliant. but as soon as I hit the restrat swicth it goes away and and I get a normal boot, bit it reappear again after several restarts. I hope these types of issues are not normall for AMD I dont want to have to switch back to using intel if I do not have to.
 09/04/2006 05:16 PM

Author Icon
peterjohnson

quote:

Originally posted by: peterjohnson
I have very similar problem - built the system a week ago:
Processor: AMD 64 X2 4600
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9500-AM2
Disks: 2 x Western Digital WD3200KS
Memory : 2Gb (2X1Gb) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC6400 (800)
PSU: Nesteq 450W

Several BSODs : message : driver-irql-not-less-or-equal.

I ugraded BIOS to version 4 - no improvement,

DOS memtest runs OK overnight.
Using DOS Partition Magic was also no problems.

Windows memtest (either one two processes) would crash after a few minutes
I also noticed that it was sometimes very slow to start up IE - like 60 seconds - network connection problem??

I though I'd start removing things so I disabled both of the network ports and un-plugged network cable.
Then ran Windows memtest (two processes) - no problem ran for about an hour until I stopped it.

Plugged network cable back in on the motherboard port which I had not used earlier.
All now seems ok. In fact have been running Prime95 stress-test for the last two hours whilst looking for
anyone else's similar problems.

Trouble is I now daren't switch it off.

I'll leave running for some time and then switch the port and report back.

Probably nothing to do with things, but of slight interest, I looked via msconfig to see what was starting at boot time - there is something called JMRaidTool.exe. I can find no information on what this is whatsover from Google - two hits only????

Someone suggested that the Gigabyte board was not capable of supporting the memory at 800 and that I should drop the memory speed down to 666.
I've reduced the speed and the probelm seems to be fixed. Ran Prime95 torture test for total of 24 hours, and then two versions of memtest under windows at the same time each testing 800M of memory. Ran for twelve hours - no fails.

I therefore think I have solved the problem - looking forward to a BIOS upgrade so that the board will do what it's supposed to do.
 09/05/2006 08:14 AM

Author Icon
immelman

quote:

Originally posted by: mtp_2002
I get a blue screen every so often durring a boot-up or restart that tell me my MOBO is not APCI compliant. but as soon as I hit the restrat swicth it goes away and and I get a normal boot, bit it reappear again after several restarts. I hope these types of issues are not normall for AMD I dont want to have to switch back to using intel if I do not have to.

I believe that the Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 is not 100% APCI compliant.

My system:
AMD FX62
Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 (Tried running F3/F4/F5c(beta) bios)
2x1G Crucial DDR2 PC2-8000 5-5-5-15 (running at 2.2v)
2xXFX 7900GTX (SLI)
Pioneer DVR111D
550W Antec NeoHE

Running stable for 2 weeks.

Add in a Linksys WRT300N PCI wireless card and all [content edited] breaks loose.
The system is lucky to boot most times, and when it does it stays up for 3min max.

I have tried changing the IRQs on the PCI slot and onboard devices - no effect.
I have disabled every onboard device and the only one that sometimes has an effect is to disable all USB.
I have tried a beta firmware (F5c) - no effect.

Linksys say that it is an APCI problem.
The bios doesnt even have an APCI setting anywhere unlike older model motherboard bios.

I am so annoyed with this motherboard that I am considering getting a Foxconn C51XEM2AA-8EKRS2H (now try saying that a few times! just for the proper nvidia bios.

Now if Gigabyte ever manage to respond to the support request...
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information