Increase font size
Topic Title: High CPU Usage 3500+Venice
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/09/2006 06:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/09/2006 06:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jbayness

Firstly, here are the specs of the box. Brand new, just built it 2 days ago:

Athlon 64 3500+ Venice (stock heat and fan)
Asus A8V mobo
1 GB Corsair PC3200
Rosewill RP550W PSU
ATI 800XT AIW

I am not sure if I have a problem or not, but it just doesn't seem right. The processor seems to be running ok and is not overheating. I haven't started to try and OC it yet (not sure if I am even going to). After a burn in overnight, idle's at 28C. Running Oblivion it gets up to about 42C (that seems like a big jump, but as i said, i haven't upgraded the Heats and fan yet). Anyway...

What I have been noticing is some serious spikes in CPU usage. Whenever I open a program (IE, Office, anything), the processor will jump to 100% usage. It doesn't stay up there for long, but I don't imagine loading a simple prog like IE would cause the processor to go full blast. Another thing i noticed as i was un'raring some files, is the CPU stayed at 100% usage for the entire time it took unrar it. Can't very well do anything else when the CPU is already taken.

Do I have a defective processor, or am i being paranoid...

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy
 06/09/2006 08:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dot_pixel651

did you do a clean install of windows with latest drivers? have you tried a bios update? also, what is the hard drive you are using thats running windows along with other hard drives that are in your computer if you have more.

dot.

-------------------------
AMD Opteron 165
ASUS A8N-SLi Deluxe
PNY 2x512MB DDR500
eVGA 7800GT
WD 2x160 / WD 250
ASUS 16x DVD-ROM / NEC 16x DVD-RW
Samsung 1.44
Ultra X-Finity 600
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information