Increase font size
Topic Title: Different core temps
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/15/2006 03:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/15/2006 03:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
hot4400

I have a 4400 x2 and was wondering why my individual core temps differ by so much. I used core temp beta and found a 10 degree jump from core 0 to core 1. Here is a link to the program I am using.
http://www.thecoolest.zerobrai...orum...topic.php?t=137

Also here is a link to a screen shot of my temps.
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/3082/desktop22or4.png

I dont think 58 degrees C is a normal operating temp at stock speed under full load. /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

I know 100 percent that my heatsink is correctly installed. I build computers for a living and know how to install them.

Also, this explains why my computer unexpectedly crashes while gaming or doing video conversions during the hot summer months. I strongly believe this core temp difference is a manufacturing problem and that my cpu should be replaced under warranty.

What do you all think...do I have a case for a warranty exchange? thx for feedback
 11/15/2006 04:51 PM

Author Icon
MadMarky

58 degrees is fairly normal under full load, above 60 is too high. And the core temps may differ a lot, depending on the load that each core gets. If you run a game on one core, the other still is idling and should be fairly cool. However it's a bit strange that they differ so much under full load.
And what do you call a crash? Sudden reboot, system freeze, bluescreens?

-------------------------
AMD Athlon X2 4600+ @ 2.8Ghz
DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D
2x 1GB G.Skill PC4000
XFX GeForce 7900GT
Antec TrueBlue 480w PSU
Thermaltake Xaser III case
 11/15/2006 05:27 PM

Author Icon
Toby1

Hi!

I also have an AMD X2 4400+. My heat sink is an AC Freezer 64 pro with AS5.

When I run dual prime95, my core temps goes up to 49-51 C for core 0 and 52-54 for core 1 according to both CoreTemp and Everest Ultimate Edition (have you tried that program?).

I don't think your temps are that bad, but remember that you can't trust the exact numbers that the programs give. The temp probes are uncalibrated as far as I know.

What CPU temp do you have at both idle and load? My IDLE CPU temp is 52-54 C and my dual prime95 CPU temp is 67 C. I think that those temps are bull [content edited] since they can't be higher than the core temps, do you agree?

How does "Go - Orthor Beta" work? Is it good and what can you do with it?

Regards
Toby1

11/15/2006 07:12 PM

Author Icon
thespin

Under load, the temperatures that CoreTemp reports are much higher than those measured by the Bios or by a temp probe by the processor simply because the temperature is measured at the Digital Thermal Sensor (or DTS) near the hottest part of each core. But I believe CoreTemp to be very accurate judging by the temps reported at idle.

Core1 appears to be hotter than Core2 for most people and maybe that's why Core2 is usually more stable at load. I don't know why there is a temp difference but AMD is aware of it and says that's the way it is, there is nothing wrong.

Now raise your hand if you believe that AMD put a temp producing kink in Core1 to prevent overclocking the X2 processor line too high ?

Millions daily drive their cars made of 1000s of parts. We study events billions of miles away expecting laws HERE apply equally THERE. The planets, the moons etc move with such precision that we just hit a comet millions of miles away with a probe. ALL of man's technology depend on the precision and invariability of natural laws. How also explain their simplicity and their harmonious integration to form a multifaceted U
 11/16/2006 12:19 PM

Author Icon
hot4400

quote:

Originally posted by: MadMarky
58 degrees is fairly normal under full load, above 60 is too high. And the core temps may differ a lot, depending on the load that each core gets. If you run a game on one core, the other still is idling and should be fairly cool. However it's a bit strange that they differ so much under full load.
And what do you call a crash? Sudden reboot, system freeze, bluescreens?

So your saying that 58 is fairly normal but 2 more degrees is too high? That makes no sense to me. This temp is under full load on both cores using orthos. At idle my temps are 20 degrees for core 0 and 30 degrees for core 1....always a 10 degree difference. I consider a crash when im perfroming a task with my computer and it restarts all of a sudden.

quote:

Originally posted by: Toby1
Hi!

I also have an AMD X2 4400+. My heat sink is an AC Freezer 64 pro with AS5.

When I run dual prime95, my core temps goes up to 49-51 C for core 0 and 52-54 for core 1 according to both CoreTemp and Everest Ultimate Edition (have you tried that program?).

I don't think your temps are that bad, but remember that you can't trust the exact numbers that the programs give. The temp probes are uncalibrated as far as I know.

What CPU temp do you have at both idle and load? My IDLE CPU temp is 52-54 C and my dual prime95 CPU temp is 67 C. I think that those temps are bull [content edited] since they can't be higher than the core temps, do you agree?

How does "Go - Orthor Beta" work? Is it good and what can you do with it?

Regards
Toby1

Your core temps are in line with each other or just a few degrees off which is what I would consider normal mine, however is off by 10 degrees which is awfully off. My cpu idles at Core0 20 and Core1 30 degrees. Orthos beta is good for dual core because it runs full load on both cores with just 1 instance of the program.

quote:

Originally posted by: thespin
Under load, the temperatures that CoreTemp reports are much higher than those measured by the Bios or by a temp probe by the processor simply because the temperature is measured at the Digital Thermal Sensor (or DTS) near the hottest part of each core. But I believe CoreTemp to be very accurate judging by the temps reported at idle.

Core1 appears to be hotter than Core2 for most people and maybe that's why Core2 is usually more stable at load. I don't know why there is a temp difference but AMD is aware of it and says that's the way it is, there is nothing wrong.

Now raise your hand if you believe that AMD put a temp producing kink in Core1 to prevent overclocking the X2 processor line too high ?

Well what we get from our bios and other programs is a temprature average or sometimes only the temp of Core 0. I think core temp beta is pretty accurate according to all the users that submitted their temps. Thats why I noticed my temp difference was NOT normal, thus here I am. As for AMD putting a production kink...well I wouldn't doubt that..sounds like something "the suits" would come up with.
 11/16/2006 02:57 PM

Author Icon
hot4400

Yeah sooo...is there actully anyone from AMD on this forum? I would really like to know if I should send in my cpu.
 11/16/2006 11:11 PM

Author Icon
EdG

quote:

Originally posted by: hot4400
Yeah sooo...is there actully anyone from AMD on this forum? I would really like to know if I should send in my cpu.

AMD rates the max temperature of AMD64's using the Tcase temp.

TCase is the temperature at the center of component’s metal cap.

You can look up your AMD64 desktop CPU temp specs here.

11/29/2006 05:56 PM

Author Icon
mofoman

quote:

I have a 4400 x2 and was wondering why my individual core temps differ by so much. I used core temp beta and found a 10 degree jump from core 0 to core 1. Here is a link to the program I am using.
http://www.thecoolest.zerobrai...orum...topic.php?t=137

Also here is a link to a screen shot of my temps.
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/3082/desktop22or4.png

I dont think 58 degrees C is a normal operating temp at stock speed under full load. /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

I know 100 percent that my heatsink is correctly installed. I build computers for a living and know how to install them.

Also, this explains why my computer unexpectedly crashes while gaming or doing video conversions during the hot summer months. I strongly believe this core temp difference is a manufacturing problem and that my cpu should be replaced under warranty.

What do you all think...do I have a case for a warranty exchange? thx for feedback

You do not have a case for processor exchange as your temps are well within the operating guidelines of the processor and it all depends on alot of factors in the varying of the core temps.

A difference of ten degrees in each core is certainly not unheard of, and amd will not replace the processor unless it tests the processor and it finds it to be faulty, you could try however.I suspect that this is a problem with the motherboard or a process in your operating system assigning something to the said core which is hotter.

The war is far from over, Intel may be winning this battle, but Amd will win this war.
 11/29/2006 06:41 PM

Author Icon
Vittorinox

quote:

At idle my temps are 20 degrees for core 0 and 30 degrees for core 1....always a 10 degree difference. I consider a crash when im perfroming a task with my computer and it restarts all of a sudden.

10°C of difference?!?

Then, my situation (like I explained in another post) is a paradise!

i have only 5-6°C of difference.

However, this is not comprehensible for me. I don't understand why. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Asus 8N-SLI Premium | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ @ 2400 MHz | 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR-SDRAM Kingston HyperX) - Nvidia Corp Asus GeForce 6600 fanless | Hard Disk 1 SAMSUNG 160GB PATA133 / 2 SAMSUNG 250GB SATAII | DVD-Rom Drive PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-110D Monitor Acer AL2671W | Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2 DirectX 9.0c
 11/29/2006 06:43 PM

Author Icon
mofoman

Yeah the normal difference in a x2 processor is between 3 and 6 between cores.But I have seen many exceptions, and perhaps it is not the cpu that is the problem, could be motherboard, virus software etc..It could also be that you need to reaplly the thermal paste between the cooler and the processor.

The war is far from over, Intel may be winning this battle, but Amd will win this war.
 11/29/2006 06:50 PM

Author Icon
Vittorinox

quote:

Originally posted by: mofoman
It could also be that you need to reaplly the thermal paste between the cooler and the processor.

I thought that, but it's strange.

however, I'm thinking to change the OEM cooler and it will be a test about it.

Asus 8N-SLI Premium | AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ @ 2400 MHz | 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR-SDRAM Kingston HyperX) - Nvidia Corp Asus GeForce 6600 fanless | Hard Disk 1 SAMSUNG 160GB PATA133 / 2 SAMSUNG 250GB SATAII | DVD-Rom Drive PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-110D Monitor Acer AL2671W | Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2 DirectX 9.0c
 11/29/2006 06:57 PM

Author Icon
mofoman

quote:

Originally posted by: Vittorinox
I thought that, but it's strange.

however, I'm thinking to change the OEM cooler and it will be a test about it.

Thats not a bad idea actually.

05/21/2009 02:43 PM

Author Icon
Petejx

I doubt anyone will reply to this but someone may read it and at least get a definitive answer! I have only recently (in the last 6 months) built four separate systems based around the 4600+ 939 X2 cpu. I have tried three different motherboard manufacturers, different RAM, HSFs, settings, operating systems, conductive heatsink compounds, system fans, psu's and of course graphics cards - I don't think I have left any other stones unturned - please let me know if there is something I actually haven't tried or more probably forgot to mention... oh yes - different CPUs to see the difference they make as well, viz., the core temp differences!

OK its like this - I have three different readings for each of the CPUs and ... WAIT FOR IT... it doesn't make a blind bit of difference!!! It is absolutely down to the individual CPU and that only! Yes, putting on better heatsinks etc. only helps to lower the both cores by the same amount overall, as you would expect. However, all this testing has highlighted many problems and issues surrounding getting these babies to perform to their potential; these are, in no particular order:-

Asus A8N32 Mobos are officially rubbish - they have capacitor issues that cause premature failure (at least the four boards that I went through)

Foxconn mobos are even worse - 3 out of 3 caused the CPU to have thermal runaway whereby the temp just in the bios screen would just keep rising until thermal shutdown occurred! The supplier at least refunded the full cost for me though!

Finally, the only "stable" mobos have proved to be the latest and cheapest!!! - Viz., ASROCK 939N68PV-GLAN mobos.

Heatsink compound - best tried was Arctic Silver & MX-2

RAM - No issues with Corsair, Kingston, Crucial, Kingmax, Twinmos or OCZ

PSU - No issues with Corsair 520 & 620W units or thermaltakes 480W Purepower but Tagan's run very hot and two out of 5 have bitten the dust so far but have had a few years out of them

GPUs - No issues with either - but then I am not a gamer (sadly just do a lot of writing, can't you guess lol)

System Cooling - Plenty and Quiet!

Windows 2000 & Vista - I bypassed everything else as 2000 was so much better than 3.1 but have to make the jump to Vista (32 & 64) now to run newer software. My "best" X2 PC is V64 and it runs it like a dream with 4Mb RAM!

Software - CoreTemp and Speedfan (Both Freeware) - Excellent monitors, also DTemp for HDDs

Heatsinks! - Here's a biggie! - Well the best ever to date has to be by a very long margin the Scythe Ninja 2's - They are big but fit nicely inside all my various cases and have a full range of clips so that you may re-use them on other platforms - also the fan is inaudible and does move a fair bit of air. Other I have tried - and there have been many - were either very noisy and/or effective/ineffective or just not up to it. The stock cooler doesn't cut the mustard in my opinion... which brings me to my conclusion (thankfully).

With all that said and done I can be very definitive about my core temperatures and their differences:

My best (coolest) 939 X2 4600+ CPU at idle has cores at between 30 and 34C respectively and no more than between 40 and 44 under use and at 25C Room Temp. But get this - there is no more than 4C difference at any one time but when there is it is usually Core 0 (but not always). Tcase(Max) is given at 53C by CoreTemp.

When my second X2 is placed in the same machine (or any of the other PCs) its temps are on average 2-3C higher.

My final X2 is the one I have an issue with. Its Core 0 is 50-52C at idle with the other core 1 only at 30-32! Go Figure! A difference of 18-20C on average... I am not happy as under normal use as it gets up to the 60C mark very rapidly and Tcase(Max) is given at 52C by CoreTemp. (I have no Idea how it shows a 1C difference but it may be due to it being in a 2000PC at present?!?) The main point being that surely the processor is being prematurely "cooked"? I thought at first that it may have been a HSF/mobo fixing issue with the locating tabs on the mobo slightly out of true meaning that part of the top of the CPU wasn't in contact with the HSF but I eliminated that notion which has left me with the conclusion that it is a manufacturing fault. My question now is that as I am sure of that fact I am going to pursue a warranty claim as I do not have much faith in the CPU lasting very long under continuous use. I have put all these things in this forum to hopefully benefit a few people with the results of my extensive testing - the sort of testing that is very rarely done as people do not possess enough hardware to have the control situation against which to base their judgements.

Having trawled through much info on the internet I have always found it lacking at best or downright wrong so I did the empirical testing myself. All the reviews and magazine testing I have come across either doesn't include my hardware or can be misleading in its conclusions - I hope I have shed some light on a few topics of interest for you and apologise for its length... now to AMD! Last thing - I have used AMD chips for as long as I can remember since my 486 and have about 20 or so in my possession - This is the first time I have had anything like a dodgy CPU - I however have had loads of issues with mobo manufacturers and have had 2 boards for every chip by now due to various problems with them - if only they could be as reliable!

All The Best!
 06/04/2010 04:34 PM

Author Icon
smash591

I read Petejx's comments with interest. I have an ASUS A8S-X mobo and an Athlon 3800+ x2 processor that is driving me crazy. Recently I noticed that my computer had been experiencing a forced reboot every so often. Sometimes it would allow me a couple of hours before rebooting and sometimes it would happen shortly after startup. I went through the usual suspects and finally one day just sat at the bios screen and watched the proc temp go from minimal to 71 C without me doing anything.

Now what... I have been hunting on eBay for a replacement proc but Petejx indicates that my mobo may be at fault. How is that possible and how possible is it?

Thanks.
 06/04/2010 04:54 PM

Author Icon
go_for
Alpha Geek

Voltage regulation getting weak on the motherboard, usual suspect in unstable older boards.
While in BIOS, CnQ is not active. Are all voltage readouts in BIOS health menu within spec.?

09/01/2010 02:48 PM

Author Icon
speedracer50-50
Lurker

If you want to monitor your proc temp why not look around in your local electronics store and see if you can find a TDS( i think it is called), it is a thermal dynamic sensor which is so small you can actually attach it to the side of the proc!!! One on each side and a way to monitor the readout shoud give you the closest temp readings without having to rely on what progs the manufacturer of your Mobo might have installed correctly or incorrectly!!! Just an idea!!!! Good Luck!!!
Am trying to get my local electric store to order them for me now!!!!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information