Increase font size
Topic Title: heating up chipset tape or as5 to cool it
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/16/2006 11:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/16/2006 11:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zucca

It has clips, but no sheild, it just sits in the tiny raise square on the chipset...Its a 410 430 nividia set...cheap heatsink and no fan. It idles around 45 celcius. gets up towards 60 at full load. Im pretty sure this is the hotspot because everything else is fairly cool to the touch....Heatsink is cool (because its not working?)
Ok so artic silver 5 will not work better on say a chipset that has just the raised square in the middle without the big sheild? Mine is heating up. I put AS5 on it, its still running at 45 to 50 celcius at idle. I have way more then enough fans and eveything else is cool...The heatsink they give you on my board kind of shabby...its big, but rests on just a small processer looking square (the part under the sheild) Its kind if teter totering there...Should I glue that sucker on with thermal tape instead?
Anyone have advice?
 11/18/2006 12:18 AM

Author Icon
varianiv

What kind of hardware are you using zucca? MB, CPU, PSU?

As far as your chipset temperatures go, I would not be too worried about it. From my understanding, it would be a lot harder to burn up your Northbridge than your CPU, and for the most part, active cooling is almost pointless on a chipset. Also, you need to give the AS5 at least 100 hours of on time to fully set up, until then you might notice a degree or two of temperature difference from what it was doing. Despite the fact that I like things to run cool, my philosophy is basically that as long as it's stable, it's not too hot.

Hope all this helps.

-------------------------
AMD Opteron 165 CCBBE (2.7GHz @ 1.35v)
DFI CFX3200-DR (07/28)
Kingston HyperX DDR500 (3-3-3-8-1T)
Asus Dark Knight Radeon 4870 1GB
Audigy 2
2x 74GB Western Digital Raptors in RAID0
500GB SATA-300 WD Drive
CoolerMaster RealPowerPro 850W
NZXT Zero full-tower case
Windows XP Pro SP2
 11/18/2006 05:36 PM

Author Icon
zucca

quote:

Originally posted by: varianiv

As far as your chipset temperatures go, I would not be too worried about it. From my understanding, it would be a lot harder to burn up your Northbridge than your CPU, and for the most part, active cooling is almost pointless on a chipset. Also, you need to give the AS5 at least 100 hours of on time to fully set up, until then you might notice a degree or two of temperature difference from what it was doing. Despite the fact that I like things to run cool, my philosophy is basically that as long as it's stable, it's not too hot.

Hope all this helps.

My cpu is 4600 x-2 mother board is asus a8 series, graphics is a 7600 gs sound card x-fi platnum, ram is corsair xms series 3200, I have everything else running at average 30 degrees celcius, but one sensor that showes a REMOTE or power...is at 50 celcius at times and idles at 45...My psu is not hooked up to motherboard with the sensor wire and is an atec two fan job with one that never kicks on because it never gets hot enough. I think PSU is running right and remote temp is my mobo...most likely northbridge...I set the heatsink on with as5 and it NOW feels warm to touch, before I set it, it was always cool and obviosly not picking up the heat. I might use a bit of thermal tape on it as I think the mounting brackets do not hold it secure enough, but I might wait til I can get a sink with a decent little fan and hook it into a controller so I only turn it on if I need it. Does this plan sound OK? I already got a fan controller...and I might look into mounting the heatsink with a shim or sheild to help it pick up the heat.
 11/23/2006 02:24 PM

Author Icon
zucca

quote:

Hope all this helps.

Well I got tired of all the stupid heat issues and simply put my Mobo, and all my stuff in a bigger case that has a side vent tube that ducts to the cpu fan housing. I now can run everything on here full bore and temps are lower then they were at energy star settings...full voltage I hit maybe 47 or 48 degrees while surfing web, playing music through a resource hungry x-fi music card and letting a few background programs run. Bigger case with a side ducted vent tube did drop temps around 10 degrees. I do not mind topping out around 50 celcius, I didnt like idling at it. This case needs a nice paint job, I think I will blast it with some cool black and let people graffiti it up..It would drive my Girl Freind nuts! That cpu duct, with actually LESS fans running at less rpms, made cpu temps and mobo temps drop quite nicely! I can run one 80 intake the 80 out pout from powersupply, a 120 out put and my cpu fan....all through fan controller. This is great cuz I can shutem down to low if Im not doing much on here! Think I will set CPU fan to top speed and lock the button though...I like that one on full!
 11/25/2006 05:54 AM

Author Icon
varianiv

Sounds like you got everything in good working order. Be sure to post some before and after pics in the Modding Project Logs and Gallery forum so we can see what all you did to that beast

-------------------------
AMD Opteron 165 CCBBE (2.7GHz @ 1.35v)
DFI CFX3200-DR (07/28)
Kingston HyperX DDR500 (3-3-3-8-1T)
Asus Dark Knight Radeon 4870 1GB
Audigy 2
2x 74GB Western Digital Raptors in RAID0
500GB SATA-300 WD Drive
CoolerMaster RealPowerPro 850W
NZXT Zero full-tower case
Windows XP Pro SP2
 11/26/2006 12:04 PM

Author Icon
zucca

quote:

Sounds like you got everything in good working order. Be sure to post some before and after pics in the Modding Project Logs and Gallery forum so we can see what all you did to that beast

My setups do not last long enough for pictures...I already took the computer out of that case, set it in a cooler master, the got a cheap winfast 761gxk8mb and put it in that case with an athlon 3500 and installed aqll the extra ram and parts I had around here...I overclocked it tro 2.6 without any heat issues and will try to hit peak when I can get space for it...I built it for my kid...So mines now a cooler master case with 2 120's fans 1 80.... with x-2 creative x-fi, 7600 nividia ,fan controller, bunch of added in stuff but is not a mod.....The opther computer will be black, and I will let kid do the design on his case . I got a few fans in it for him, but think I will add a big one to it, and get a creative card for him...The video is ok, but I think Ill get a 780-0 for mine and put the 7600 in his...I think once I show him overclocking he will most likely toast the puter, but thats ok, I can build it in just a few minutes anyway...That winfast board was easiest set up I have ever tried...Took like 35 minutes to put together and then a few clicks and windows was in ...drivers installed without a hitch! My case (cooler master ) needs no mod, its black and the led lights on fan controller and fans do the trick!

The cooler master case has this thing idling at 39 to 40 degrees celcius now, Thats with the forum up and creative playing music Thats a decent temp. I think the temp was a power supply one (reporting throungh 24 pin hook up somehow?) It was kind of tight in other cases,,,whatever it was its lower now! No more flames on speed fan default settings. I took off speed fan and will use pc wizard now as I have a controller!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information