AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Yet another single core to dual core horror story.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/17/2006 09:27 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/17/2006 09:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
The_Internal

Greetings,

I recently upgraded my MSI Neo 4 Platinum's processor from a single core to a dual core x2 4400+ processor and two significant problems arose on what had been a perfectly stable system while single core. This post addresses the NVIDIA isssue (For those that are curious, the other issue is my dual tv tuner, the Hauppauge PVR-500 causing the system to no longer boot up once the driver for it is installed and the system restarted... Hauppauge claims they have a fix if I RMA my card in... so, hopefully one problem solved.)

Having already ran memtest and HotCPU diag successfully (although the latest version of hotCPU said processor effeciency was only at around 50% even though both cores showed at full load in task manager), I'm rather forced to conclude that there is a driver issue with the newer NVIDIA graphic drivers when installed on dual core systems. I tried the over 6 month old driver that came with my card, and that prevents the nv4_disp infinate error loop blue screen to pop up (although on recorded tv playback, it would merely hiccup sometimes with the older driver), which further made me conclude that there's something odd with the NVIDIA drivers... however, as any fellow computer gamers know, a six to year and a half old driver is not acceptable for playing current titles.

I find it particularly odd that the infinate error loop is only reproducable when playing back televsion recorded from media center edition 2005, but not on other applications or video, especially considering that I've tried the MCE nvidia display driver.
EVGA has not responded to my quiery as to what would cause this problem or if it is being addressed, despite my 6800 ultra still being under warranty. I contacted them roughly one week ago.

Multiple reformats, the newest drivers (including the AMD dual core driver), BIOS updates... all the other variables that I could think to isolate, I have. After physically removing my tv tuner card for the most recent reformat, I didn't notice any odd IRQ settings either (the hauppauge tuner, sound card, and nvidia graphics card seemed to have odd IRQ conflicts when all installed simultaneously). Thermals were also all with in tolerance (high 40s celcius on CPU, mid 40s on the chipset during oblivion or multitasking, 52 celcius at max CPU load (which I've only obtained during HotCPU diags)).

Does anyone have any theories on the cause in the driver programming for this error loop? Has anyone else had personal experience with this blue screen after upgrading their proc to a dual core?

This has probably been the worse "upgrade" experience I've ever had, so any input, suggestions, or personal experience with solving or better understanding this problem would be welcomed. I thought dual core processors were ready for mainstream, but my experience has lead me to question that belief. To reiterate: the only thing I changed in my system was the upgrade to a dual core processor, which resulted in system crippling performance. Having been a loyal AMD fanboy for years, this has been a big let down.

-------------------------
My System:
Antec P108B case
Athlon x2 4400+ with Sythe Ninja heatsink
MSI K8N Neo 4 SLI Platinum (with latest BIOS update) with Zalman ZM-NBF47 passive northbridge heatsink
4 x 512 MB crucial ballistix PC3200
EVGA 6800 Ultra in x16 slot 1
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Pla
 08/17/2006 09:36 PM

Author Icon
marcus_667

try removing 2 of youre 512 sticks of ram and leave 2 in

First rig: Intel core 2 qx6700@ 3.5 gHz|ge-force 8800gtx sli|3 gig gskill ram|750 gig seagate and a 150 gig raptor | anted ninehundred case| enermax galaxy 1kw psu | dell 3007

Second Rig: Amd Athlon X2 6000+ | 8800 gtx|wd raptor 74 and a 320 seagate | 2 gig ram|sb x-fi | seasonic m12 700watt | coolermaster stacker 830 black | dell 2407
 08/17/2006 09:38 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

so just to be clear, a fresh windows install with all the newest drivers does not fix it, correct?

quote:

Originally posted by: marcus_667
try removing 2 of youre 512 sticks of ram and leave 2 in

ah.. i did not see that.. 4 sticks.. i agree with trying 2 sticks

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 08/18/2006 03:22 AM

Author Icon
The_Internal

quote:

Originally posted by: zeppelinrox
so just to be clear, a fresh windows install with all the newest drivers does not fix it, correct?
ah.. i did not see that.. 4 sticks.. i agree with trying 2 sticks

Did it with 2 sticks too. I've done at least 5 full reformatts some of them with 2 sticks o RAM, some with 4 sticks, some with the TV tuner, some without.

My System:
Antec P108B case
MSI K8N Neo 4 SLI Platinum (with latest BIOS update) with Zalman ZM-NBF47 passive northbridge heatsink
 08/18/2006 08:16 AM

Author Icon
srg86

You could try checking your CPU temp and running memtest86 on your RAM, just in case, they are some of the first things I would try.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (Manchester) 2.2GHz, DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D, 1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 Dual Channel, 80GB WD Caviar SE SATA, 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax 9 SATA, NEC 4550A, Radeon X800GTO 128MB DDR, M-Audio Audiophile 2496, Tagan TG480-U01.

Commodore Amiga 1200, MC68060 50MHz CPU (FPU Built in), 2MB Chip RAM, 16MB Fast RAM, AGA Graphics Chipset, 20GB IBM Travelstar 40GN, Kickstart 3.1 ROM, Workbench 3.1
 08/18/2006 08:38 AM

Author Icon
Cr@zY_UKRaiNiaN

I heard that some TV cards needs to be flashed (or chip has to be swapped), there is a bug or something like that

Everything we create, we use to destroy.
Yeah, we call it HUMAN NATURE.
 08/18/2006 08:29 PM

Author Icon
The_Internal

quote:

Originally posted by: srg86
You could try checking your CPU temp and running memtest86 on your RAM, just in case, they are some of the first things I would try.

As stated in the original post, I listed the temps and the successful diags I've run. Also mentioned in the original post is that I am currently not running my system with a tv tuner in it. (It's on the way to Hauppauge as we speak). Please don't post a response asking me to do or if I've done something posted in the original post (read the full post first, in other words).

My System:
Antec P108B case
 08/19/2006 10:21 AM

Author Icon
Xtreeme

Have you tried enabling 2 T command rate OR disabling bank interleave. If its VIA chipset try turning off V-link.
 09/02/2006 05:26 AM

Author Icon
The_Internal

I got back my "fixed" PVR-500 today. I can now boot into Windows (most the time) when I have both the tuners installed. However, now I get a nice little error message box about every five seconds...
------

MSVIDCtl System Broadcast Message Receiver: ehRecvr.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x51000000" referenced memory at "0x51000000". The memory could not be "read".

------

I've already tortured my RAM and CPU with memtest and HotCPU... there is nothing wrong with either.

I checked the IRQs on a few devices... and for some strange reason, my Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM) uses IRQ 18, and my Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II (23xx)(Tuner 2) uses IRQ 18. When I only have one of the two tuners installed, I don't seem to get the error message. As soon as the second tuner is installed, I get the ehRecvr.exe spammage.

My BIOS on my MSI Neo 4 SLI Platinum offers no way to manually set the IRQ (it will let me set IRQ assigning to "manual" which lets me list some IRQ numbers as "reserved" or "PCI Device"... which seems to do jack.) I've not had to touch IRQs since Windows 98, so I've forgotten how to resolve that issue.

The two variables that I've not been able to 100% eliminate:
A) Getting my devices on seperate IRQs (could use help here)
Testing my video card in another system (waiting for OCZ to respond to my RMA request, so I can get a good stick of RAM for a test system... they've not responded after my 4 attempts and two weeks.)

Worth mentioning:
Windows Vista Prerelease Candidate 1 installs and runs fine on the same computer (other than a few obvious beta glitches).

---------------------------------------------------

The recap:

Antec P108B case
Athlon x2 4400+ with Sythe Ninja passive heatsink
2 x 512 MB crucial ballistix PC3200
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
Happauge 500 PVR dual tv tuner
OCZ Modstream 520 watt power supply
Maxtor Maxline III 300 GB SATA hard drive (primary)
Western Digital 120 GB special edition ATA HD (slave on cable 2)
Lite-On DVD-RAM/-RW/+RW (master on cable 1)
Lite-On DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo drive (master on cable 2)
Windows Media Center Edition 2005
Dell 2405FPW color monitor
Microtek ScanMaker 5800
Logitec MX-1000
Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard

I purchased a new dual core CPU for my single core computer that was happily chuggin along. Had the latest BIOS, drivers, windows patches, updates, etc... everything was grand... but I wanted more speed...

so, I lobbed in a dual core x2 4400+ and everything went to [content edited]. WEEEEEEE!!! Yup. All it took was one "upgrade" and my system committed hari kari.

Stuff I've already tried (without success):

1) roughly 20 reformats and clean installs of Windows XP Media Center Edition in which I did some of or all of the following:
2) Installing the latest drivers (including the AMD dual core drivers and patches) and Installing the drivers in different orders
3) Confirmed my BIOS was indeed the most recent
4) ran multiple extended memtests. All passed.
5) ran multiple HotCPU diagnostics. All passed.
6) rewired the computer 4+ times.
7) put the sound card and tv tuner card in a variety of different PCI slots.
8) Tried a windows hotfix suggested to me in the forums here.
9) whined a [content edited] of alot
10) Tried BETA drivers on my video card.
11) RMAd my PVR-500 to Hauppauge for a "fix" they could do so my system would be able to boot when I had the card installed on my system. (they replaced some chip on it).
12) confirmed, reconfirmed, and kept reconfirming that thermals were within tolerance for the CPU and system. CPU hit low 50 degrees celcius during HotCPU. Generally runs 42-48 celcius during standard usage or gaming.
13) spent about 100 hours over the last month doing these all over again in different combinations/posting on forums for anything I may be overlooking.
14) tried different assignments for the drives on my IDE cables.
15) RAM is running at default timings, also 2T. The motherboard uses and nforce 4 chipset.

My System:
Antec P108B case
 09/02/2006 05:57 AM

Author Icon
Xtreeme

sorry but passing mem test and cpu torture doesnt really mean much. It does if it fails. I can easily pass mem test with 1T OR too tight of timings and yet its got a nasty side effect with instabilty just randomly. I gained alot more stablilty by 2t and less tight timings(just my case not saying its yours).....dont write mem off as good just cause memtest says so. I could also oclock and pass prime95 or OCCT while running 3dmark yet my cpu was pushed to far as games again showed me. Now if nvidia would just fix their drivers properly Id have a rock solid rig But thats another story(LOL). BTW I got a 6800gs (problems galore with IRQ not less that errors when it feels like it) Sometimes several a day most times once a week or so. Its annoying.
 09/02/2006 06:54 AM

Author Icon
chriscatt

Hi, perhaps not much help but have you checked that vista uses the same IRQ's as XP. Not sure whether that will help aside from proving that either it's not a IRQ issue, or that Vista can deal with it more efficiently. You might also need to 'find' a NV driver that is stable, have to contacted them? Also that error refers to the ehrecvr.exe which is the service that builds and runs the recording graph, according to what I found in google search, have you tried looking here?
http://www.google.co.uk/search...mp;q...earch&meta=
ChrisC

System:
AMD64 3500+ Winchester
Asus A8R32-MVP
Bios 0602
XPSP2
Standard AMD HSF
Corsair 2GB DDR XMS4000PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS3
2x Maxtor Maxline III 250g on ULi1575
2x Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 160g on ULi1575
Pioneer DVR-111d DVDRW
Connect3d X1900XT-X
CT Audigy Gamer
CT Inspire 5.1 5300
Lian Li PC65 case & window
Blue Cold Cathode Tube
A
 09/02/2006 08:19 AM

Author Icon
blizard

BIOS have setting for IRQ if you look around in that place. Might be that you have to reset IRQ from BIOS and then let windows re-assign IRQ to all devices it can find by itself.

I don't think you should mess around with IRQ manually as it is so many devices that use it to communicate on PCI bus.

Your problem seem related to creative sound card and Nf4 problem discussed on somewhere else on this forum. From that thread it is clear that PCI can be stressed (latency) and some devices will show strange signs in their behaviour. Onboard sound that cracle/have popping sound, SATA RAID configuration that suddenly get corrupt (data) and so on. This happen on nf4 chipset, but can also happen on all MB that stress PCI bus with many deviceses that demand fast response. You dual Tv-tuner seem to be a candidate for stressing you system and that might be one part of your problem.

Here is the tread: PlanetAMD64

Abit AT8-32X (Xpress3200)/Athlon64 X2 4200+@stock/Corsair VS 2GB/Samsung SATA II 2x 250 GB/Club3D X1950XT GDDR3 256MB+ PowerColor Theatre 550 pro (PCIe x1)
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information