AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon 64 X2 4600 4E Problems.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/08/2006 12:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/08/2006 12:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
lok1gt

I recently purchased an Athlon 64 X2 4600 4E and installed it on an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe MOBO with 2 Gigs of PC3200 RAM, 2 100GB Maxtor SATA HDD's and an ATI Radeon X1600Pro 512Mb PCIE video card and an Antec 500w NeoPower HE PSU.

During setup, the computer would shut off entirely without word or warning after 5 minutes of running the Windows XP Setup.

I flashed the BIOS with ASUS's latest version available. Now the Windows XP Pro setup completes, but crashes roughly 30 to 45 minutes into the entier process - usually as i'm about to install the chipset drivers, which btw, i have the latest and greatest from Asus. I get a BSOD stating a machine exception error and that i have to reinstall Windows XP. It is a legit copy too.

Everything in the BIOS is set to factory defaults or Auto, including the Nvidia Raid configuration, which i could not get to work anyway. Regardless, i'll deal with the lack of a raid array.

I did a search here for similar instances and found nothing related other than one issue where overclocking caused the same results. That is not the case here.

I even individually swapped out the memory, the video card, the PSU and the HDD's to see if they tested fine in other machines (which they did) as well as see if others would make a difference in the setup of this system. None of those options helped.

I even went so far as to see if it had something to do with the case switch. I installed a power switch jumper and i have the same issues.

Lastly, i had a local shop run temperature test on the CPU and nothing came up below the average running temperature.

Is there anything else i could try at this point without buying another MOBO or CPU to swap?
 03/08/2006 12:31 PM

Author Icon
kirbalo

It's not a CPU issue...but more likely a problematic motherboard. It sounds like you've changed everything out, to no avail.

My only recommendation is this:

When building a system, many people like to stuff the box with all of their components/cards/drives, etc. and then try to figure out what went wrong...

I recommend trying the minimalist approach, in that use only one drive, one video card, 1 stick of RAM, etc. Install OS...

If it fails, you have much less to figure out...if it works, you can start to add stuff until your system is done.

I also power up the board OUTSIDE the case, so as to not screw everything down, only to find out that it won't power up...

Just a suggestion...

Good Luck.

-------------------------
My Rigs:

Athlon 64 3400+ (CG) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, BFG nVidia 6800OC 128MB, Seagate 200GB PATA, Seagate 160GB PATA, Dual Boot XP and x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower

Athlon 64 3400+ (E3) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, eVGA nVidia 6800 128MB, Seagate 320GB SATA, Vista x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower
 03/08/2006 01:58 PM

Author Icon
lok1gt

Sadly, you offer no help other than good regards. lol. Thanks.

I pretty much do as you suggested, with the exception of booting with the MOBO outside of the case. I've been told by a local computer company that some MOBO's require contact to the case for additional grounding, as do MOBO's with metal contacts through the mounting holes.

Questions:

1.) This board requires the standard ATX 4 pin power connector and an additional 5 pin molex connector to support PCIE cards. If I accidentally forgot the molex and tried to go through the setup process with a PCIE video card installed, would that be enough to short the MOBO?

2.) If the fan that was installed was rated for a 4400, but not a 4600 specifically, could this be causing it to shut down even if the processor does not show signs of overheating?
 03/09/2006 04:33 AM

Author Icon
majmac01

Maxtor SATA drives have 'issues' with the Nvidia N4 chipset.
Your problem sounds a lot like the one others with these two components have been struggling with.
Go onto the Maxtor site and see their solution for the problem -- it is their fault as no other SATA HDDs have the compatibility problems with the N4 chipset.
Hope this helps, or if you have already gone down this path, sorry about wasting your time.
 03/09/2006 08:09 AM

Author Icon
lok1gt

Wow, i checked Maxtor's site and found what you were talking about, but have no clue as to the implications or whether it involves me or not.

It's in the hands of a local PC shop, so i'll forward this to them and hope they know what to do with it.

Thanks.
 03/09/2006 01:26 PM

Author Icon
kirbalo

quote:

Originally posted by: lok1gt
Sadly, you offer no help other than good regards. lol. Thanks.

I pretty much do as you suggested, with the exception of booting with the MOBO outside of the case. I've been told by a local computer company that some MOBO's require contact to the case for additional grounding, as do MOBO's with metal contacts through the mounting holes.

If that were the case, all power supplies would have a solid ground to the case with a dedicated wire...and not every case is made of metal....but who knows...not here to argue.

Glad to hear you may have solved it, though.

-------------------------
My Rigs:

Athlon 64 3400+ (CG) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, BFG nVidia 6800OC 128MB, Seagate 200GB PATA, Seagate 160GB PATA, Dual Boot XP and x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower

Athlon 64 3400+ (E3) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, eVGA nVidia 6800 128MB, Seagate 320GB SATA, Vista x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower
 03/09/2006 03:52 PM

Author Icon
lok1gt

As you said, just semantics, but I’m trying to learn.
Is the PSU’s metal case internally grounded?
Additionally, don’t all cases come with a metal MOBO mount, which in turn holds the power supply, regardless of the rest of the case material? If so, then the entire unit is grounded by the power cable negative.
EDIT: I was wrong, acrylic cases don't have MOBO trays.
However, I could be wrong as I have only dealt with a few systems, all metal cases and, though I have modified a PSU case, I have no clue as to the internal workings.

I suggested the HDD issues to the shop working on this thing and they told me they would try a different HDD. If that does not fix the situation, they will try putting the processor on a new board. I worked on the thing for a week and then gave up. They’ve been working on it for the 4th day now and the thing still shuts off after three or four hours.

I’m losing hair at a rapidly increasing rate here.

It used to be that you could throw a bunch of stuff together and it would run smoothly. Now you have to check everything for compatibility and get new drivers for everything. Is this the new trend or is because all of the technology involved is too new (i.e. SATA, PCIE, X2 CPU’s, etc.)?
 03/10/2006 01:29 AM

Author Icon
dougginoza

most of the drives that i use are maxtor i have no problem i have 5 nf4 motherboards and found you cant set everything to auto you need to set voltages and memory settings manualy to get the most stability ive used both serial ata and parralell drives from maxtor ive been trying western digital serial ata 2 16mb buffer and rapters and seen inprovement on nf3 chipset with rapters but i read on toms hardware that the new drives support ncq so im going to try those on my nf 4 mb to see if they work better
 03/10/2006 04:07 PM

Author Icon
lok1gt

So, the PC shop got back to me after working on it for 5 days straight and tell me it's the HDD's AND the PSU.
Go figure, an ANTEC 500w failing???!!! I thought Antec were gods.
I looked and what i saw earlier was the firmware upgrades for Maxtor's SATAII drives. Couldn't find anything for the SATA drives.

So, the PC shop is charging me to replace the PSU and one HDD. I have to see if i can salvage the drives somehow and check into Antec's warranty. I just hope i don't get the thing home and it crash after 6 hours of usage.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information