Increase font size
Topic Title: I am confused about my temperatures
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/20/2006 12:13 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/20/2006 12:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Max Payne

I am a bit confused about the maximum temperature for my X2 4400+. I basically do not understand Tcase max and maximum die temperature.

Now, my CPU idles at about 34 degrees and with two instances of prime95 running it will top out at 51*C which is what I am wondering about.

Tcase max is 57*C and maximum die temperature is 65*C. I am under both of those even fully loaded and my machine is stable. In actual "everyday" use I never peg both cores out and the highest I have seen it after gaming is 46*C.

Do you guys think I am OK or should I run out and buy some faster higher volume fans? My machine is fairly quiet now and I would hate to make it loud. I would hate frying my processor even more than I would hate the noise though.

I have reseated the sink a couple of times and used AS5 so I am sure the sink is properly seated because there was absolutely no difference after reseating. Not even a degree.

-------------------------
Opteron 185 @ 3ghz. | 2 gig Muskin redline DDR 500<br>A8R32-MVP Deluxe | X1800XT Crossfired<br>Soundblaster X-Fi 64 | Enermax Liberty 620 watt PSU<br>Liteon DVD and DVDRW/Combo | SyncMaster 930B<br>Other BS that just kind of orbits the Rig.
 04/20/2006 02:16 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

I think you are perfectly fine. I know my 3200 idles right around 30*C, thus two dies right next to each other at 34*C, yeah I think you are alright. No temp sensor is ever perfect and frankly the only time you should start worrying is when your machine starts to reboot.
 04/20/2006 02:20 PM

Author Icon
Max Payne

Yeah, it could be the sensor is off a bit and the machine is stable. I will quit sweating the small stuff.

The funny thing is, overclocked or stock the temps stay exactly the same. I don't have to give it any voltage to OC it though so I think that might be the reason the OC doesn't heat it up.

Thanks BVChurch.

-------------------------
Opteron 185 @ 3ghz. | 2 gig Muskin redline DDR 500<br>A8R32-MVP Deluxe | X1800XT Crossfired<br>Soundblaster X-Fi 64 | Enermax Liberty 620 watt PSU<br>Liteon DVD and DVDRW/Combo | SyncMaster 930B<br>Other BS that just kind of orbits the Rig.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information