Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon64 X2 3800+, second core not showing up anymore
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/14/2006 11:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/14/2006 11:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mightyquinn

I got an Athlon64 X2 3800+, with a JetWay A210GMDS-pro motherboard last november, and have recently noticed that neither windows 2000 (32bit) nor Ubuntu Linux 6.06 (64bit) are recognizing the CPU as a dual core chip anymore.

This seems to have been a progressive issue. I had an unreliable video card for a while that necessitated frequent reboots, and I would notice on occasion that win2000's performance monitor would only show one graph instead of two for the CPU, but a reboot always fixed that.

Unfortunately, and I can't quite determine when, the system stopped seeing the CPU as a dual core entirely, and no amount of rebooting or BIOS resets seems to fix it. I've tried both the most and second-most recent BIOSes from Jetway for the motherboard, and am out of ideas.

I don't exactly have the resources to get a second motherboard or second CPU to test with, so I'm also unable to determine whether it's an issue with the board or the CPU, so I wonder if anyone else has experienced (and solved) a similar issue.
 06/14/2006 11:38 PM

Author Icon
sgie87
Case Modder

welcome to the forum.
its always best to post your full system specs,
as detailed as possible,ram graphics card,psu,
regarding the PSU specs,look at the side of the PSU you will see a little sticker saying amps on the 12v,5v ect,post thoses specs.

id say its the mother board,
jetway are not a great brand.

you can get a new mother baord for around 90$.
and your old mother baord should still be under warrenty.

but before you do this id advice you to test the cpu,either find a friend who has a 939 mother board and give it a try on there,or bring the chip inot a local computer store and ask them if they would do a quick check on the chip.

-------------------------
*IRC chatroom #freedom on irc.globalgamers.net server is a great place to hang out online.PM me for more info.*
 06/15/2006 12:00 AM

Author Icon
mightyquinn

I'm sorry, the full system specs, as best I can get them:

Asus GeForce 7600GT 256MB Silent model, Formerly ATI-Built Radeon X700 pro and onboard Radeon X300 (issue has existed with all three devices)
Ram: 2x1GB Rosewill brand (I'm unsure of the chip manufacturer.)

PSU: CoolMax CX-400B
+3.3V 30A, +5V 40A, +12V 80A
-5V 1A, -12V 1A, +5V(little symbol, got torn) 2.5A
(For what it's worth, the voltages all stay steady, within spec, according to the Temp/Volt monitor program that came with the motherboard drivers)

No other PCI/PCIe cards, one SATA hard drive (Maxtor, 250GB), and one ATA66 DVD-Rom drive (plextor PX-716AL)

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information