Increase font size
Topic Title: Processor Fan Direction
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/10/2006 03:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/10/2006 03:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
HuwCran

My new system is suffering from intermittant crashes. On opening the system I noticed that the components near the heatsink on the processor are already getting covered in dust, this includes one of the memory boards. I notice that the fan is blowing air into the heatsink which in turn escapes out of the sides of the heatsink such that components close to it are getting a dust blasting. To me it would make more sense if the fan was sucking air through the heatsink rather than blowing it through so wanted to know if this was correct.

It is an AMD hologrammed heatsink and the power connector can only plug into the motherboard one way.
 03/10/2006 05:32 PM

Author Icon
majmac01

It is working well!
The dust (Clean up/vacuum you room! is tell-tale evidence that the fan is blowing cool air across the cooling fins and then that air is blowing across the mobo capicators/VRMs before being expelled. That is the way they work! You do not want the fan 'sucking' air from across the hot VRMs, then through the cooling fins of the CPU cooler as the air would not be a cool as it should.
The solution would be for you to lift your case off the floor a bit (put it on a stand or on bricks) and for you to regularly clean the room to minimise dust accumulation.
 03/10/2006 05:51 PM

Author Icon
nagaty_h

clean your case with an air blower then spray some contact cleaner or dust removing solution into the fan..

-------------------------
 03/10/2006 07:33 PM

Author Icon
HuwCran

Thanks! I cleared the dust out with a hair dryer on cold and installed the latest BIOS and video drivers for good measure. Will see how it goes...
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information