Increase font size
Topic Title: Random restart
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/25/2006 07:27 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/25/2006 07:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Falkon

Ok, so i bought a new GFX card the other week and installed it in my computer the other day. Its a decent card for what i paid for it, and performing pretty much how i want it to. However, ive been having some problems gaming online with it, and to all my computer knowledge, i havent found the problem.

First off, my computer specs...
AMD Athlon 64 3500+@ 2.2 Ghz, 2000 mhz FSB, 512 Kb l2 Cache (not OC'd)

Sapphire ATi Radeon X1300 512 Mb graphics card

ATi IXP400 mobo

200 Gb SATA HDD

1 gb DDR 400mhz RAM

Windows XP Media Center Edition.

alright. so i installed my graphics card and everything is working fine. I can play Doom 3 with Ultra settings, F.E.A.R. with high settings, guild wars online with High settings, but i mostly want to play Call of Duty online. However, when i go into the game and spawn, my computer suddenly restarts. Ive tried installing all the Media Center drivers for my card at ATi.com, but i havent been able to find a solution.

I have also updated CoD, and ive downloaded the latest drivers for my mobo and gfx card. wtf???

any help?
 08/25/2006 08:23 PM

Author Icon
[255]

quote:

Originally posted by: Falkon
alright. so i installed my graphics card and everything is working fine. I can play Doom 3 with Ultra settings, F.E.A.R. with high settings, guild wars online with High settings, but i mostly want to play Call of Duty online. However, when i go into the game and spawn, my computer suddenly restarts. Ive tried installing all the Media Center drivers for my card at ATi.com, but i havent been able to find a solution.

I have also updated CoD, and ive downloaded the latest drivers for my mobo and gfx card. wtf???

any help?

If other games work fine, on the highest settings, I would tend to believe that there is a problem with the game. Especialy if you can run doom 3 on ultra nad FEAR on high. CoD is not an intensive game (cod2 maybe, but not cod1). Have you tried checking CoD's official forums for troubleshooting information? Maybe there is a setting that's just doesn't go over well with your setup.

-------------------------
Opty 170 @ 2.5ghz
Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe
2gig gskill @ DDR456 - 2.5-3-3-6
Saphire ATI Radeon x850xt @ 560/580 -SOLD-... Had to make ends meet.
 08/25/2006 08:42 PM

Author Icon
elite_athlon

First of all, have you uninstalled all of the ATi VGA drivers? Uninstall the video drivers, restart, install the new drivers, restart.

Also is your videocard passively cooled? (Fan-less) If so try putting a fan so it blows some fresh air directly on the heatsink. Although i don't think its a cooling problem, who knows it might help

Finally please list your powersupply manufacture, model, watts, and the specs on the +12v rail (will be located on the sticker on the unit, its should be +12v=??A)

Join a real forum - http://www.compsupportforums.com/
 08/25/2006 09:29 PM

Author Icon
Falkon

quote:

Originally posted by: Elite_Athlon
First of all, have you uninstalled all of the ATi VGA drivers? Uninstall the video drivers, restart, install the new drivers, restart.

Also is your videocard passively cooled? (Fan-less) If so try putting a fan so it blows some fresh air directly on the heatsink. Although i don't think its a cooling problem, who knows it might help

Finally please list your powersupply manufacture, model, watts, and the specs on the +12v rail (will be located on the sticker on the unit, its should be +12v=??A)

yeah my cards passively cooled. its got a massive heatsink on it. thats another thing im concerned about, because the way i ahd to install it (its a pci-e x16 card, btw) leaves it on the bottom of my case with the heatsink flat down, so all the heat rises into the heatsink. its probably a problem, but i dont really want to deal with rearranging everything.

my PSU is an ENERMAX|EG301P-VB-1-FM 300W OEM (bought it from newegg because at first i figured my computer might have not been getting enough power.)

i didnt feel like restarting my computer right now to see the 12v rail, so heres a pic from newegg...
http://images10.newegg.com/New.../pro...-103-463-05.JPG

as for the ATi VGA drivers, maybe im not aware as to how to uninstall them, but what i did is after i started having this problem i deleted all the drivers that i could find from ATi on my computer then restarted and downloaded them again from ati.com. didnt help.
Add/Remove programs doesnt have anything labeled ATi VGA anything, but like i said, maybe im jsut a noob.
 08/25/2006 09:36 PM

Author Icon
elite_athlon

The powersupply looks A-ok, for the ATi drivers....

Join a real forum - http://www.compsupportforums.com/
 08/26/2006 01:14 PM

Author Icon
EdgE 45

Driver cleaner works good to remove old drivers. driver cleaner

Amd 4400x2
asus a8n-sli premium
pc power 510
corsair twinx2048-3500LLpro
70gb wd 10,000x2
evga 7800gtx X-Fi Platinum
 08/26/2006 03:28 PM

Author Icon
PFX_79

Considering it's passive HS, i would say it's heat aswell. With passive air cooling the air flow through the case has to be as uncluttered as humanly possiable. Couple things that will go along ways torwards this are replacing standard IDE cables with round ones (allows the air to move around the cables instead of bouncing off them) and you can also tuck the unused PSU cables on the side of the case thats behind the Mainboard side. I saw a FAQ on passive cooling and air flow somewhere, will have to see if I can dig it up.
 08/28/2006 06:13 PM

Author Icon
Falkon

Well, it apparently turns out that CoD doesnt support 64 bit systems.... which really [content edited]in sucks because i reall wanted to play it. But that opens up mroe questions, because before i could play the single player campaign with no problems at all... wtf??
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information