Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon64 X2 4200 Dual Core & ABIT UL8 Problem
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/31/2006 05:16 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/31/2006 05:16 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Raizo

I possess an Athlon64 X2 4200, and a motherboard ABIT UL8 (Award Bios, newest revision 1.2). I tried to use my DDR RAMs (Dual Channel Kit by Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/2G - 2 GB total, and 2x Elixir M2U1G64DS8HB1G-5T - 2 GB total; this kind of Kingston RAMs is recommended by ABIT for this MoBo; the Elixir are not especially recommended but they work) in Dual Channel (how described, in DIMM1+DIMM2, or/and DIMM3+DIMM4) but the Computer doesn't start. When I put the RAMs (Kingston, or Elixir) in DIMM1, and DIMM3 the computer starts but it works only in Single Channel with 64bits, and 333 MHz (that's clear by the descriptions by ABIT, and by AMD). But I wonder that the computer doesn't work when I put the RAMs in DIMM1+DIMM2, or/and DIMM3+DIMM4. That means no Dual Channel is possible. I tried to change several BIOS settings, no chance. And that means it works only with RAMs in DIMM1, and in DIMM3 as Single Channel. I read in the manual that 64bits memories work only in Single Channel at DIMM1 and/or DIMM3. Dual Channel is possible with 128bits memories at DIMM1+DIMM2 & DIMM3+DIMM4. That's the reason I bought the Kingston memories (see above) but they don't work how I wish it. I asked ABIT but they told me it could be caused by the processor because it has the memory controller integrated in itself. I have no idea what I could do still.
Is it possible that the Athlon64 X2 4200 doesn't communicate right with the motherboard ABIT UL8? Although it works perfectly with the "only" 2 GB of memories.
Is it possible that I should use High Density memories although the MoBo demands Low Density memories?
Or should I better use another MoBo? If yes, which would you recommend to use all 4 GB of memories (I need them for graphics etc.)
Could you help me perhaps, please?
Best regards from Germany![font=Arial][size=7]
 11/01/2006 03:27 PM

Author Icon
varianiv

Hello and welcome to the forums!

I would recommend updating your BIOS to the latest release version. You can get it from your motherboard manufacturer's website. Also, you may want to double-check your motherboard manual to see how the memory modules must be arranged in order for dual-channel to work properly. You sound like you know what you are doing, but it never hurts to double or even triple-check how you have things set up

In order for dual-channel memory to be enabled, you must use matched pairs of modules in the correct slots. So, as long as each set of memory you mentioned is matched (i.e., has identical specifications to the other stick in the set, which you indicated it was), then it *should* be able to work if you put it in the correct slots and set the BIOS options correctly. I am almost positive that the Kingston should work (it works in almost EVERY board out there), but the Elixir I am unsure of.

I would say this has to be a simple mistake of not setting something correctly in the BIOS/incorrect mounting etc., or something equally mundane. I would be willing to bet money that your motherboard is not experiencing any kind of malfunctions.

Hope all this helps.

-------------------------
AMD Opteron 165 CCBBE (2.7GHz @ 1.35v)
DFI CFX3200-DR (07/28)
Kingston HyperX DDR500 (3-3-3-8-1T)
Asus Dark Knight Radeon 4870 1GB
Audigy 2
2x 74GB Western Digital Raptors in RAID0
500GB SATA-300 WD Drive
CoolerMaster RealPowerPro 850W
NZXT Zero full-tower case
Windows XP Pro SP2
 11/01/2006 04:02 PM

Author Icon
Raizo

Hi, thank for your message.

But I am sure that the Kingston memories are equal because they are a Dual Channel Kit by the manufacturer.

The latest BIOS update for the ABIT UL8 is version 1.2. I installed it. And the manual says dual channel is possible only at DIMM1+DIMM2 (same colour), and DIMM3+DIMM4 (same colour). And I already tested several variants to stick the memories into the DIMMs. The only result is that only DIMM1 or DIMM1+DIMM3 are working (as Single Channel then).

But reading several posts here in that forum I am coming to the conviction that the reason for my problem must be the memory controller in the CPU. So I am looking for ways to trick it by any BIOS settings. But that seems to be impossible. Or not?
When I set DRAM TIMING SELECTABLE at MANUAL, and then FORCE 64 BIT ALWAYS at DISABLED, all 4 memories are found (DIMM1+DIMM2 = 2 GB, DIMM1+DIMM2+DIMM3+DIMM4 = 4GB), but short after that the computer stops, I can't see longer if it goes with 333MHz, with 400 MHz, if 1T, or 2T, if Single Channel, or Dual Channel ... I have to turn out the computer, have to remove the memories from DIMM2-DIMM4; then I can start anew and set back my BIOS settings. So I guess that's not the way I have to do.

I wonder my memories (3 GB of Elixir total) worked without any problems under my older hardware (AthlonXP 2600, and motherboard Elitegroup ECS N2U400-A v1.0 with nVidia nForce2 Ultra chipset). So I am following the idea that perhaps a motherbiard with nVidia chpiset could be more suitable. I studied the sites of several motherboard manufacturers, among them ECS, and Gigybyte, and I found out that the possible configurations of the memories at MoBo MSI K8N Neo2, and Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra (both with socket 939) seem not so complicated than at my ABIT, or at ASUS A8V Deluxe (indeed that is a MoBo recommended by AMD). Perhaps I should try to get such a MSI, or Gigybyte board to try it out.

Indeed I sent a message to the German AMD Support yesterday, perhaps they will have an idea, so I still will wait until buying another MoBo.

Thanks!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information