Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD stock cooler problems
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/25/2006 09:48 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/25/2006 09:48 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ayqazi

Hi,

I'm REALLY having problems with the clip on the AMD stock cooler. It's MEANT to be tool-less - yet for me it's the exact opposite.

When I try to put the second clip on to the retention bracket (or whatever its called - the black plastiky thing on the motherboard that surrounds the CPU socket), the 'arm' on the cooler just automatically moves to the side, and doesn't swivel at all (which according to the instructions, it is meant to do).

To undo it, the only way I have found is to press the non-arm side down, and prise off the clip from the hook using a screwdriver - every time I do this, I feel like I'm taking a big risk.

Does anybody know what I mean? When I get home, I'll take a few pictures to tell you what I mean.

I've tried to apply the heatsink exactly like shown in the instructions, as well as in as many different other ways as I could think of, yet exactly the same thing happens - as soon as any amount of pressure is applied to the heatsink, the arm swivels itself to the incorrect position automatically, and won't budge from there after the clip is secured - leaving me with another screwdriver-prising job.

This happens on two different motherboards - an Asus K8n4-e deluxe, as well as on a Gigabyte K8ne, so either I'm doing something wrong, or the heatsink I got is broken.

Anybody had similar experiences? What did you do? I'm getting a new heatsink soon (A Zalman Super Flower Cooler CNPS7000B-CU thingy) so this won't be an issue soon - but I just need to sort this problem out, just for the sake of it.

Thanks
 05/26/2006 06:48 AM

Author Icon
phoenixx

I upgraded to a athlon 64 bit a few weeks ago but didn't have a problem getting the heatsink to fit. I have a Abit board and the heatsink fits with the black leaver towards the bottom of the board. I put the non lever side bracket on 1st then clipped over the lever side bracket. Then just flip the lever so its parallel to the heatsink and press it down until the catch clicks in place. Maybe you've got a faulty lever mechanism.

Don't know if this will help:

http://search.amd.com/query.ht...stal...tion+guide&rq=1

click on the 4th link down and it should open a pdf with installation instrictions.

Let me know how you get on with the Zalman heatsink as I'm thinking of getting one. My core temp is quite high at around 43C idling.

-------------------------
AMD 3700+ San Diego, Abit AV8 Stk 939, 1gig DDR400
 05/26/2006 10:55 AM

Author Icon
ayqazi

Hm... the instructions say I should put the non-lever side on last. I think I've got a faulty lever mechanism, but no worries, since now I've got a flashy new Zalman flower 7000 Cu wossname! Thanks for the reply though, I've posted to several places and you're the first one to reply.

Thanks
Asfand Yar Qazi
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information