Topic Title: CPU Restart Problem Repost
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/17/2006 09:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/17/2006 09:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
LiquidSnake

Hmm....my post was deleted for no reason by unknown phantom, yest nite i still above to see it, now i cant find it anywhere!!!

Ok.......from the last post, someone advise me to decrease my mem speed from 200 to 166 and i done that, i will just monitor and see what will happen next. Previously up to yest nite, i have restarts while playing games before i change the speed.

So anyone got problem with the Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9, cant repost your suggestions and method here.

Specs

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Patriot 512mb ram
MSI Geforce 6600Le graphics card
Creative XFI soundcard
Gigabyte I-DNA GA-K8N51GMF-9 Motherboard
80Gb Hitachi Sata Hard disk (boot)
80GB Maxtor IDE Hard disk (system)
I-Cute Tower CPU box
WinXP Home edition SP2 2002 version (think not 64bit ver)
Bios Award Software International Inc F2 06/10/2005
Antec TruePower 2 PSU

-------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Patriot 512mb ram
Creative XFI soundcard
I-Cute Tower CPU box
Antec TruePower 2 PSU
DVD Rom
Floppy Disk Drive
 02/18/2006 02:49 PM

Author Icon
CCoMMradEE

How does it go with restarts after changes?
 02/18/2006 09:54 PM

Author Icon
LiquidSnake

quote:

Originally posted by: CCoMMradEE
How does it go with restarts after changes?

after changing the mem speed to 166, so far so good, there wasnt any restart while i played Warcraft 3 for yest afternoon and nite, i will continue to monitor and see how, but i want to know changing it to 166, will it affect other programs, applications or multi-tasking of windows to be slow down or it will slowly damaging the motherboard,ram or cpu after a long time?

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Patriot 512mb ram
Creative XFI soundcard
I-Cute Tower CPU box
Antec TruePower 2 PSU
DVD Rom
Floppy Disk Drive
 02/19/2006 02:50 AM

Author Icon
CCoMMradEE

No damage will be done if u ran it on lower speed...damage can be done if u ran it on higher speed
U will notice no difference in games or programs except that your score in 3DMARK can be slightly lower

I had no restarts in any sort of application for 3 days in a row...

02/20/2006 09:11 AM

Author Icon
CCoMMradEE

How it goes for you?
 02/20/2006 10:38 AM

Author Icon
Ancientwalker

Hi there, I have the exact same problem you do.

I run the same motherboard with the following specs:

Athlon 64 3000+ (not sure which specifically, but box retail).
1 gig kingston value ddr 400 ram
Sapphire Radeon x800 GT 128mb
Windows Xp Pro SP2 (german language)
Maxtor Sata 80gb hd.
No secondary fan (yet)
400W PS

I run the CPU Frequency at 200 and PCIE clock at 100Mhz

My problem is with World of Warcraft and a select other few games. Random PC restarts after a certain amount of time. I've tried everything and the only thing left is my CPU.

I have noticed 1 thing though, that doesn't seem right after reading a bit on these forums.

From a cold boot my CPU temp is about 28°C, system temp is lower. If I let the PC idle in the bios my CPU temp slowly goes up and stops at 37°C, system temp 31°C, which seems to hot, yes?
CPU Fan runs at 3300-3400 RPM.

Have you tried checking your idle temps also?

*edit* Forgot to mention this is with 1 case panel open.
 02/20/2006 10:58 AM

Author Icon
warbulator

HI LIQUIDSNAKE im sure it was me that recommended lowering you ram speed cos i had the same probs, i bought a pair of geil value pc3200 512mb ram sticks from overclockers.co.uk for 60 quid and have never looked back. downspeeding your ram/chip speed causes no probs at all in fact it runs cooler and may extend the life!!, in the mean time try uping you speed to say 180-190 mhz and see if the rams stable, if you can find a stable level up that high youlle hardly loose any performance and its free!
take care
quote:

Originally posted by: LiquidSnake
after changing the mem speed to 166, so far so good, there wasnt any restart while i played Warcraft 3 for yest afternoon and nite, i will continue to monitor and see how, but i want to know changing it to 166, will it affect other programs, applications or multi-tasking of windows to be slow down or it will slowly damaging the motherboard,ram or cpu after a long time?

AMD 64 X2 3800+ @ 240,2GB GEIL 4X 512MB PC3200 @ 200, ASROCK 939 DUAL SATAII MOBO, 2 X SAMSUNG 160GB SATA STRIPED RAID , MSIi 7900GTO 650/1320..
 02/20/2006 09:46 PM

Author Icon
LiquidSnake

yup, u the one who suggest of lowering the cpu speed which it works for me! So far so good, no restart at all. As for checking the mhz, how to do that?

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Patriot 512mb ram
Creative XFI soundcard
I-Cute Tower CPU box
Antec TruePower 2 PSU
DVD Rom
Floppy Disk Drive
 02/21/2006 06:28 AM

Author Icon
Ancientwalker

I thought you were referring to the CPU speeds.

I can't find anywhere to adjust the ram speeds with the bios though. Where did you find it?

Also, the kingston website says that my ram is fully supported by my motherboard.
 02/22/2006 12:32 PM

Author Icon
jiffz

Hello all! 1st post here as I am stuck with this problem

This is my setup:
3200+ venice,
GA-K8N51GMF-9 motherboard Bios f2,
Kingston value 1GB,
280W psu that was in the case,
XFX 6600GT,

I don't get problems with HL2 sourse based games, but when playing Battlefield 2, Warhammer Dawn of War and some other games, after about an hour the pc will lock up, sound cycles and pc reboots. When windows has restarted it has generated this error:

BCCode : 9c BCP1 : 00000004 BCP2 : 80545FF0 BCP3 : B2000000
BCP4 : 00070F0F OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

I tried different PSU, different Ram but it still happens. No temperatures are too high. The only way I have managed to stop it is by taking out the 6600GT and using the 6100 onboard. I can only run games on low though. I am not sure if the gfx card is to blame as I cannot test a different one.

Are you guys suggesting that I lower the FSB speed on the chip?? Please let me know exactly what has worked for you!
 02/23/2006 03:20 AM

Author Icon
Ancientwalker

quote:

Originally posted by: jiffz
Hello all! 1st post here as I am stuck with this problem

This is my setup:
3200+ venice,
GA-K8N51GMF-9 motherboard Bios f2,
Kingston value 1GB,
280W psu that was in the case,
XFX 6600GT,

I don't get problems with HL2 sourse based games, but when playing Battlefield 2, Warhammer Dawn of War and some other games, after about an hour the pc will lock up, sound cycles and pc reboots. When windows has restarted it has generated this error:

BCCode : 9c BCP1 : 00000004 BCP2 : 80545FF0 BCP3 : B2000000
BCP4 : 00070F0F OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

I tried different PSU, different Ram but it still happens. No temperatures are too high. The only way I have managed to stop it is by taking out the 6600GT and using the 6100 onboard. I can only run games on low though. I am not sure if the gfx card is to blame as I cannot test a different one.

Are you guys suggesting that I lower the FSB speed on the chip?? Please let me know exactly what has worked for you!

Hi! I have to say we have the exact same ram and mboard and the EXACT same windows error. That windows error says that there is something wrong with the CPU, video card, ram or hard drive *I think*(I cant remember the 4th thing).

Maybe our motherboard has a problem with PCI-E card.

I suggest updating your bios to latest version, going into the bios and disabling the PEG. I havnt had a crash since I did that.
 02/23/2006 05:45 AM

Author Icon
CCoMMradEE

What do you mean by disabling the PEG?can u please explain exactly waht u did?
*I also have 6800gs
 02/23/2006 12:00 PM

Author Icon
jiffz

quote:

Originally posted by: Ancientwalker
Hi! I have to say we have the exact same ram and mboard and the EXACT same windows error. That windows error says that there is something wrong with the CPU, video card, ram or hard drive *I think*(I cant remember the 4th thing).

Maybe our motherboard has a problem with PCI-E card.

I suggest updating your bios to latest version, going into the bios and disabling the PEG. I havnt had a crash since I did that.

Yeah the error code suggests Cpu, Ram (tested other), Motherboard or PSU (tested other) but not PCI-e card for some reason.

I attempted to update my bios the other week and it went wrong so I am weary of doing it again , Are you on Bios F3? And could you explain exactly what u mean by disabling PEG. Are you suggesting turning off the pci-e?
 02/24/2006 03:26 AM

Author Icon
LiquidSnake

just now when i switched on my pc (1st start of the day), everything was fine when it loaded into the windows desktop then suddenly a blue screen appeared and said it is the Machine Checked Exception error and after a while it restarted by itself!

After the restart the window loaded and the Windows Online Crash System reported that it is due to the overheating of PSU, Motherboard, Ram or CPU but when i checked PC Alert 4 for temperature, everything was within acceptable range and no abnormalities. [content edited]! Just after i solved the restart problem in game, now come this machine check error! My bios still F2 , do u all think update to F3 will help it? And how to update it to F3?

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Patriot 512mb ram
Creative XFI soundcard
I-Cute Tower CPU box
Antec TruePower 2 PSU
DVD Rom
Floppy Disk Drive
 02/24/2006 06:44 AM

Author Icon
Ancientwalker

quote:

Originally posted by: LiquidSnake
just now when i switched on my pc (1st start of the day), everything was fine when it loaded into the windows desktop then suddenly a blue screen appeared and said it is the Machine Checked Exception error and after a while it restarted by itself!

After the restart the window loaded and the Windows Online Crash System reported that it is due to the overheating of PSU, Motherboard, Ram or CPU but when i checked PC Alert 4 for temperature, everything was within acceptable range and no abnormalities. [content edited]! Just after i solved the restart problem in game, now come this machine check error! My bios still F2 , do u all think update to F3 will help it? And how to update it to F3?

I have resolved my crashes by disabling peg. Here are the steps to doing it.

Step 1) Update bios to F3. It seems F2 cannot do this even though it is in the bios patch notes. Don't ask me why, I could never do it.

http://www.giga-byte.com/Downl...load...bios_n51gmf9_f3 and download from closest location to you.

Save to somewhere and unzip.

I use: http://www.giga-byte.com/Mothe...ileL...tech_a_bios.htm to update the bios as it is simplist for me. Use your own method if it pleases you.

Follow these steps: First backup your old bios by using the save bios option.
Next click on update bios and find the "N51GMF9.F3" file that was unzipped by the bios download you downloaded.

Follow the onscreen instructions. Make sure to close any unnecessary programs that run in the background, internet explorer, firefox, etc..

If everything went right on boot screen you should see motherboard name F3 in the top left.

Step 2) After the reboot get into your bios options.

Go to the "Advanced Bios Features" catagory

Go down to "Init Display First" and select "PEG"

Go down one to "Frame Buffer Size" and select "Disabled"

Go down one more to "Onboard GPU" and select "Enable If No Ext PEG"

You must have your video card installed into the PCI-E slot correctly after these changes or the PC will not boot.

Hit f10 and save with y and reboot.

Also some things to make sure of with this motherboard:

If you have 2 sticks of ram only, make sure they are in slot 1 and 2. Otherwise you will get problems or the pc just won't boot.

Make sure vid card is all the way in as well as your HD and power cables. You'd be surprised how often I or others I know have had problems because cables got loose.

Good luck!
 02/25/2006 09:46 AM

Author Icon
CCoMMradEE

AncietWalker,u also did changes to the RAM(200MHZ->166MHZ)or only dissabled PEG?
 02/25/2006 10:14 AM

Author Icon
LiquidSnake

quote:

AncietWalker,u also did changes to the RAM(200MHZ->166MHZ)or only dissabled PEG?

i had encountered the restarting problem again (when i played warcraft just now, 1st restart after changing to 166) ever since i changes the ram to 166mhz last week, so obviously changing ram isnt the real solution, you will still get restart........sighz......who really have real solutions?

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Patriot 512mb ram
Creative XFI soundcard
I-Cute Tower CPU box
Antec TruePower 2 PSU
DVD Rom
Floppy Disk Drive
 02/25/2006 10:21 AM

Author Icon
CCoMMradEE

U tried AncientWalker solution?
 02/25/2006 10:33 AM

Author Icon
jiffz

quote:

U tried AncientWalker solution?

I have just tried setting frame buffer size from 128M to disabled. The other setting was already on 'use onboard if external PEG doesnt exist'. I already have all these settings on F2.

I am yet to test to see how it goes, I find it difficult to figure out if it is solved because sometimes it can go for 2-3 hours without crash. I also cleaned out my GFX card cooler as it was rather dusty, so I'm not sure if that may have been causing the problem.

I have a feeling the crash may be caused by the audio. are you all using the onboard audio? I have decided lo lower the sound acceleration in dxdiag.

I'll report back later with results /mellow.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":mellow:" border="0" alt="mellow.gif" />
 02/25/2006 10:49 AM

Author Icon
CCoMMradEE

someone in newegg forum suggested to update audio drivers but it didnt work...
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information