Topic Title: CPU Restart Problem Repost
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/17/2006 09:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/25/2006 12:32 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ancientwalker

quote:

Originally posted by: CCoMMradEE
someone in newegg forum suggested to update audio drivers but it didnt work...

I am using onboard sound, which I havnt updated ever. I have not reduced my ram speeds or CPU clock speeds. I only disabled the PEG. And I have still yet to have a crash in a week.

Otherwise, I havnt done any other fixes.
 02/25/2006 12:59 PM

Author Icon
jiffz

Well further to my earlier post..... it crashed

quote:

Originally posted by: Ancientwalker
I am using onboard sound, which I havnt updated ever. I have not reduced my ram speeds or CPU clock speeds. I only disabled the PEG. And I have still yet to have a crash in a week.

Otherwise, I havnt done any other fixes.

Well currently my settings in BIOS are exactly the same as you. Do you think updating my BIOS to F3 will fix this problem???

This is the help page my error report suggests:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/re...spx?...1632fc0&SID=134

Failed component?? The only one in t hat list I havn't tried changing is CPU, however if the CPU was faulty wouldn't I receive more problems? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />
 02/25/2006 03:00 PM

Author Icon
CCoMMradEE

It seems there is no solution out there....
 02/26/2006 05:22 AM

Author Icon
Ancientwalker

quote:

It seems there is no solution out there....

Can try updating to bios f3. Maybe that might work. Not sure.

There is no real fix out there for our problem, however I do not believe there is actually a faulty component. There must be some setting somewhere that I changed or some such that stopped the crashing.
 02/28/2006 05:05 AM

Author Icon
CCoMMradEE

In the bios settings there also"PCIE Spreding Spectrum" or something like this,maybe u changed it too?
 02/28/2006 06:44 AM

Author Icon
Ancientwalker

quote:

In the bios settings there also"PCIE Spreding Spectrum" or something like this,maybe u changed it too?

Dont think so, no.

Last thing I can think of, is get a case fan. Might help if this problem is due to a faulty CPU temp censor.
 02/28/2006 11:58 AM

Author Icon
Sengfeng

Add me to the list of the exact same symptoms - Gigabyte K8N51GMF-9... 4 x 512MB Corsair value RAM. Memtest 86 runs for hours on end, no problems, prime 95 runs for hours, no problems... I've dropped RAM speed to 166, lasts a bit longer, but still eventually crashes.

I've tried removed AMD cool n quiet, still crashes. I've updated the RealTek audio drivers to 1.31 from the RealTek site... No change.

Config is:

AMD 64 3000+
Gigabyte K8N51GMF-9 (F3 Bios)
Boot: 80GB Western Digitial
Storage: Striped 2x300 GB Maxtor SATA
Video: On board disabled, added PCI-e GF 6600GT
P/S: 550 watts. All rails push more amps than required.

Windows XP/SP2 all updates, 82.12 GeForce drivers, 8.22 NForce drivers, SW IDE is NOT installed (not used w/nforce 430 chipset anyway).

*shrug* This board is really !@#@Q#$ing me off, and it would be nice to see ANY of the companies involved at least acknowledge there some sort of problem, whether it be NVidia, AMD, or the mobo makers.
 03/01/2006 02:27 AM

Author Icon
Ancientwalker

As I seem to be the only one who has successfully solved this problem I will list every fix I tried, in every order:

First was the usual scan disk, defrag, pc cleanup.

Second was getting optimized video drivers. I am using the ATi Omega driver pack.

Third was updating bios to f3 and disabling the peg.

Fourth was taking my PCI-E video card and ram out and then put back in, making very sure that everything is all the way in. It can be hard to tell with this board, with the vid card.

Fifth was making sure every single connection in my case was in all the way.

Sixth was buying a case fan.
 03/01/2006 09:21 AM

Author Icon
Sengfeng

quote:

Originally posted by: Ancientwalker
As I seem to be the only one who has successfully solved this problem I will list every fix I tried, in every order:

First was the usual scan disk, defrag, pc cleanup.

Second was getting optimized video drivers. I am using the ATi Omega driver pack.

Third was updating bios to f3 and disabling the peg.

Fourth was taking my PCI-E video card and ram out and then put back in, making very sure that everything is all the way in. It can be hard to tell with this board, with the vid card.

Fifth was making sure every single connection in my case was in all the way.

Sixth was buying a case fan.

I've all that (not the defrag, etc - BSOD from a clean install within 4 hours shouldn't be a "left over junk" issue). I've taken all my components out, tested with different drives, processors, RAM, (on board or PCIE video doesn't matter) and I still get the MCE error.

It's VERY sporadic. Some days I'll have 2 or 3 of them. Then the next won't be for 2 weeks.

I have more airflow through that case than probably necessary. Two intake fans on the front, and two exhaust fans on the back. CPU never goes above 27C on idle, 35C when testing with Prime 95.
 03/02/2006 07:00 AM

Author Icon
LiquidSnake

Why is there so much problem for this mobo??? Why would a Big co invent something so faulty!

-------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Patriot 512mb ram
MSI Geforce 6600Le graphics card
Creative XFI soundcard
Gigabyte I-DNA GA-K8N51GMF-9 Motherboard
80Gb Hitachi Sata Hard disk (boot)
80GB Maxtor IDE Hard disk (system)
I-Cute Tower CPU box
WinXP Home edition SP2 2002 version (think not 64bit ver)
Bios Award Software International Inc F2 06/10/2005
Antec TruePower 2 PSU
DVD Rom
Floppy Disk Drive
 03/03/2006 02:36 PM

Author Icon
Sengfeng

quote:

Originally posted by: LiquidSnake
Why is there so much problem for this mobo??? Why would a Big co invent something so faulty!

It seems to be a common error for almost ANY of the nforce 4/410/430 boards. Either they're tempermental as [content edited] about RAM (I am >NOT< going to plop down the cash they want for Corsair XMS RAM when these same ram chips work perfectly at dual channel ddr400 in an intel board! or something.

I just got a reply back from Gigabyte after 5 days... I posted all the things I've tried, swapping RAM, single channel mode, slowed it down, removed/reinstalled drivers, etc. All I get back is "Have you checked the CPU temp"?

I'm to this point now: Unplugging USB devices, just to make sure they aren't causing a voltage fluctuation. Everything else other than the motherboard itself has been swapped or confirmed to work perfectly fine in a different system.
 03/03/2006 09:38 PM

Author Icon
LiquidSnake

quote:

Originally posted by: Sengfeng
It seems to be a common error for almost ANY of the nforce 4/410/430 boards. Either they're tempermental as [content edited] about RAM (I am >NOT< going to plop down the cash they want for Corsair XMS RAM when these same ram chips work perfectly at dual channel ddr400 in an intel board! or something.

I just got a reply back from Gigabyte after 5 days... I posted all the things I've tried, swapping RAM, single channel mode, slowed it down, removed/reinstalled drivers, etc. All I get back is "Have you checked the CPU temp"?

I'm to this point now: Unplugging USB devices, just to make sure they aren't causing a voltage fluctuation. Everything else other than the motherboard itself has been swapped or confirmed to work perfectly fine in a different system.

what? after 5 days, they just gave a so general response of have you check your cpu temp??? Is this what gigabyte helpdesk can do???

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Patriot 512mb ram
Creative XFI soundcard
I-Cute Tower CPU box
Antec TruePower 2 PSU
DVD Rom
Floppy Disk Drive
 03/06/2006 07:18 AM

Author Icon
LiquidSnake

any update to this problem?

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Patriot 512mb ram
Creative XFI soundcard
I-Cute Tower CPU box
Antec TruePower 2 PSU
DVD Rom
Floppy Disk Drive
 03/07/2006 10:22 AM

Author Icon
Sengfeng

quote:

Originally posted by: LiquidSnake
any update to this problem?

Well, still having problems... So far I've done about everything except swap mobo or CPU, nor have I removed the pcie/6600gt card and run off the 6100 built in.

To date:

-3 different power supplies
-Reseated CPU
-Pulled RAM (used just the two "matched" corsair value DIMMS)
-Clean install of Windows, just standard drivers + one game to test with
-Unplugged all non-needed HDDS (ran off just on-board IDE. Disconnected SATA RAID, all USB devices, hooked up PS/2 keyboard and mouse)
-Tried old versions of GeForce drivers
-Underclocked RAM to 166 instead of 200
-Temps on video card and CPU all under specs.
-Installed newer audio drivers (from RealTek's site)

I did find an obscure post (wish I'd gotten the link) about someone having problems with this mobo under Linux. The Linux error was more descriptive- something about an error communicating with the PCI Memory Bridge for the video card. Whether that may apply to Windows, who knows...?

Interesting note on this thread about CD/DVDR's

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=48192

03/07/2006 10:52 AM

Author Icon
Sengfeng

I think next few things I'm going to try:

1: Unplug DVD burner for a couple days, see what happens (Lite-On DVDRW)
2: Ghost my original C-Drive to a different physical drive and see if the drive was flakey. (WD 80 Gig)
3: Unplug my 6600GT... (Ack...)

Lately this thing's bluescreened NIGHTLY - Left a tradebot running in an online game, and find the PC rebooted in the morning.

I'll post more as I go.
 03/08/2006 10:58 AM

Author Icon
Sengfeng

POSSIBLE FIX!

I Ghosted my c-drive to a different drive (old=80GB Western Digital, new=Hitachi 80GB Deskstar) and ran it last night with the Western Digital drive out of the system.

Last night was the first time in 2 weeks that the computer didn't crash overnight while sitting in the game I play...

Crossing fingers that this is a real fix.
 03/08/2006 11:39 AM

Author Icon
CCoMMradEE

Can u please explain exactly waht u did?U took off your HDD?So u thing HDD was the cause?but many people have here differen HDD and same motheboard....
 03/08/2006 11:43 PM

Author Icon
Sengfeng

quote:

Can u please explain exactly waht u did?U took off your HDD?So u thing HDD was the cause?but many people have here differen HDD and same motheboard....

I used the program "Ghost" to clone the install of Windows onto a different hard drive. I then removed the original hard drive and booted Windows up with the "cloned" one. So far, 24 hours, no crash... More than it had been doing for the last 2 weeks.
 03/09/2006 09:22 AM

Author Icon
Sengfeng

I spoke too soon... MCE BSOD last night.

I hate this f'ing motherboard.

03/09/2006 11:35 AM

Author Icon
CCoMMradEE

I think all we can do us to wait untill next BIOS Update and if it will not help just to go and replace it....what peacing me of is that its so reach features mb that it just shame to change for something less...but i think that what we will do in the end
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information