Increase font size
Topic Title: Boot Problems
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/24/2006 04:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/24/2006 04:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
[ITA]mich

Hi all,
I'm a new member of this forum, first of all I'm sorry for my bad english but I'm italian, then I have a question for you all:

I just bought these new parts for my Desktop PC:

MB: Asus A8N-SLI SE S939
RAM: 2x DIMM 1Gb PC3200
PROCESSOR: Athlon64 (K8) 3500+ S939
VIDEO: Sapphire ATI X1600XT 256Mb GDDR2 PCI-E

I build my PCs since I was a kid so I'm pretty sure I upgraded everything correctly but still I got a problem I don't know how to solve. It may be a stupid problem but I lost contact with the new technologies in the last 3 years (university = no spare time & no money left to upgrade PCs...).

The only parts I kept from my old PC were my HDDs, they're old but I was told I could still use them with no problems:

HDD1: (Pri Master) Maxtor Diamond Plus9 160Gb ATA/133
HDD2: (Pri Slave) Seagate Berracuda ATA V 120Gb ATA/100

I know they're slow but I can't afford to change them yet

The problem is: when I boot from my HDD1 (Win XP Pro installed before ugrading) the PC reboots after showing me briefly the XP loading screen. It does the same even if I try to load Windows in safe mode.

Is there any chance I can fix the problem without formatting both HDDs??? I'd hate to lose everything (I don't have another Desktop PC and this mobile one is quite full)

Sorry if the problem is stupid and thanks in advance for any answer

Bye.
--
Michele.
 06/24/2006 07:07 PM

Author Icon
o1die

You're going to have to back up your old files with a program such as norton ghost. To do this, you may have to switch back to your old motherboard to access the files. Then you can format and do a fresh install of windows. But there's also a chance the rebooting may be from a weak power supply. What brand and rating is your power supply?
 06/24/2006 07:42 PM

Author Icon
[ITA]mich

quote:

Originally posted by: o1die
there's also a chance the rebooting may be from a weak power supply. What brand and rating is your power supply?

First of all thanks for the answer
Second, my Power Supply is a 400W 20+4 pin of an unknown brand with an 80mm cooling fan.
Anyway it only happens when I try to load the OS; if I, say, enter the BIOS setup mode or a FreeDOS session all works correctly, except that I can't access my HDDs (but this problem is DOS related, so I can't do anything)

Bye.
--
Michele
 06/26/2006 11:26 AM

Author Icon
Cr@zY_UKRaiNiaN

just reinstall windows
Just moving HD to a different PC (with XP installed) is not gonna work unless its the same hardware (mobo, chipset, etc)
do not format when u reinstall (leave as is)
u gonna have to reinstall all the software that u had. but all ur personal files, music, etc will be fine...just dont DO FORMAT!

-------------------------

Everything we create, we use to destroy.
Yeah, we call it HUMAN NATURE.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information