Increase font size
Topic Title: Having trouble with the heatsink
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/15/2006 11:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/15/2006 11:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sevnrock

Hello! First post here and I'm having a bit of trouble :[

I noticed my cpu temps were getting a bit hot, so I ordered some AS5 to replace the paste that was on the stock heatsink. But now I'm having some trouble removing the heatsink. The metal latches that hook onto the black hooks seem really tight and unremovable (I try to be gentle, but I remember using a lot of force to latch it on). I have an AMD 3700+ Diego and a ASRock DualSATA motherboard. And tips on this is appreciated.
 03/16/2006 01:04 AM

Author Icon
kirbalo

quote:

Originally posted by: sevn
Hello! First post here and I'm having a bit of trouble :[

I noticed my cpu temps were getting a bit hot, so I ordered some AS5 to replace the paste that was on the stock heatsink. But now I'm having some trouble removing the heatsink. The metal latches that hook onto the black hooks seem really tight and unremovable (I try to be gentle, but I remember using a lot of force to latch it on). I have an AMD 3700+ Diego and a ASRock DualSATA motherboard. And tips on this is appreciated.

Not sure what heatsink you have...but if it went on, it should come off...make sure you're actually removing it in the proper reverse order of installation and I would recommend removing the Motherboard from the case if you already haven't done so...so as not to stress the board physically. Put the board on an anti-static based material on a flat surface, then you should be able to put the force necessary on the clips to remove...

-------------------------
My Rigs:

Athlon 64 3400+ (CG) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, BFG nVidia 6800OC 128MB, Seagate 200GB PATA, Seagate 160GB PATA, Dual Boot XP and x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower

Athlon 64 3400+ (E3) @ 2.4GHz, Asus K8N-E Deluxe, 2 GB OCZ DDR400, eVGA nVidia 6800 128MB, Seagate 320GB SATA, Vista x64, Antec 350W Mid-Tower
 03/16/2006 12:29 PM

Author Icon
Prelude76

i found removing the latch easier than snapping it on. just do reverse of installation, and use a bit of force if you have to.

after that, i also noticed the heatpaste gets hard to remove, and on S939 chips, its very easy to accidentally pull the CPU right outta the socket. It creates almost like a suction effect betweent the heatsink and heatspreader on the cpu. and the stupid box mounting prevents you from doing rotate-n-twist to loosen it.

first time i tried, i did end up pulling cpu right out the socket.

now, what i do is use a hair drier at the heatsink to warm it up, and then the AS5 paste gets a bit loose from the heat and it removes easily.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information