Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/20/2006 08:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/20/2006 08:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
homerfromhawley

I bought a DFI Lanparty SLI mobo, 500W PS, and AMD 64 4400+...completed install with windows XP 64...The system was cherry for about a month...started getting random noise in the video when watching movies, surfing the web. Internet explorer would crash almost constantly. Spent alot of time surfing with the report error window tucked to the bottom of the screen.

(Background) I initially had problems setting up because the DFI bios didn't fully support the X2, after I found a good beta version, I got the system running. because of this, when the problems started, I initially suspected the mobo...because I didn't like the difficulties, but I first installed windows XP profeesional to see if it was an operating system trouble. The video problem didn't clear up but it did add a sound noise problem. The noise problem was not evident whenever I switched back to XP 64.

I bought another mobo, the MSI Neo8N platinum, (friends have this and installs were smooth). My install was smooth, but I still had the problems. I halved my system and eliminated all components but the video card, cpu and PS. because it was primarily a video? problem, I sent the video card RMA. They sent a replacement( a different model even) and that didn't fix the problem.

I looked on the forums and saw items about affinity. So, I started up internet explorer, stopped the page from loading, went to the task manager, right-clicked on iexplorer.exe, selected affinity, unselected cpu1 and my problems went away. I could browse to my hearts content. selected only cpu 1 and the problems were back. This was the same with my video issues. I haven't been able to test the souond as I don't know how to perform this on drivers.

So comes my question. I plan on RMA'ing this cpu but does anyone know of a way to globally setting affinity to one cpu or the other?
 03/20/2006 09:25 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

quote:

Originally posted by: homerfromhawley
So, I started up internet explorer, stopped the page from loading, went to the task manager, right-clicked on iexplorer.exe, selected affinity, unselected cpu1 and my problems went away. I could browse to my hearts content. selected only cpu 1 and the problems were back. This was the same with my video issues. I haven't been able to test the souond as I don't know how to perform this on drivers.

So comes my question. I plan on RMA'ing this cpu but does anyone know of a way to globally setting affinity to one cpu or the other?

Well it seems that you have indeed found the error causing all your problems. I mean even if there was a way to set the afinity to global on die 2 I would be mad that die 1 is defective. So therefore I would actually RMA it first thing and make sure your problem gets fixed. But make sure to give your last bit of the story to amd, about how you changed cpu afinity to only find that once the programs were on die 1 they would crash constantly.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corpo...utAM...592_712,00.html
Tech support contacts.
 03/21/2006 01:08 AM

Author Icon
homerfromhawley

I discovered that if you select explorer.exe for single cpu affinity, all applications that you launch will also run with the same configuration.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information