Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD 64 3400+ Thermal Plate Problem
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/16/2006 06:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/16/2006 06:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Nosferatu_uk

Hi ya,

Wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or if any may know a work around to this problem.
I have a Asrock K8V800M and a AMD 64 3400+ CPU with a ThermalTake TR2M6SEK8 (Or the thermal pipe fanless cooler)

I have a superb airflow in my case so i know its not that, but what im getting is a high amount of heat on my temperature readout.

The problem is: When i am idling on the computer the temp says 28 degrees which is good in my case. But when i play games (CS:S) the temp rises (over a 10 minute span) to 70 and then shuts down..

I did change the mobo and when i took the heatsink out to transfere over the cpu the CPU's thermal plate came off!! there was a white compound inside but i had to clean it all up before i could put the plate back on the CPU. i then put some thermal compound on the chip put the plate back on and stuck it down with an extremely thin layer of superglue.
Was i OK in doing this? or was there a certain procedure to do for repairing the plate?

Im still getting weird heat readings and running out of ideas to keep this [content edited] thing cool.

PLEASE HELP!
 01/16/2006 06:18 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

erm.. just to be sure.. when you say thermal plate, do you mean the the part that has the serial number and stepping info stamped on it?

-------------------------

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 01/16/2006 06:19 PM

Author Icon
Nosferatu_uk

QUOTE(zeppelinrox @ Jan 17 2006, 12:18 AM)erm.. just to be sure.. when you say thermal plate, do you mean the the part that has the serial number and stepping info stamped on it?
[right][snapback]596465[/snapback][/right]

Aye that be the boy :'(
 01/16/2006 06:24 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

strewth...

well at this point, you would be better off just leaving it off and just install the cooler directly onto the cpu.

some people actually remove that plate on purpose to keep the cpu cooler... so chances are it will all turn out good..

the only problem is that issue of super glue.. that is the problem at this point.

if you are able to, you will have to get it off and clean up the cpu as best you can with alcohol

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 01/16/2006 07:14 PM

Author Icon
Nosferatu_uk

aah didn't give it a thought to run the heatsink directly on chip .. that sounds like a plan mate cheers!

Yeah the superglue is the tricky bit lol craft knife should do it .. something tells me it was a stupid idea to glue it back on. :/ aah well! I shall give it a shot and keep ya updated /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />
 01/16/2006 07:40 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

a couple of threads...
http://xtremesystems.org/forum...read...ht=removing+ihs' ">http://xtremesystems.org/forum...highlight=removing+ihs
http://xtremesystems.org/forum...read...ihs#post1006336' ">http://xtremesystems.org/forum...moving+ihs#post1006336

just search results http://xtremesystems.org/forum...h.php?searchid=1256678' ">http://xtremesystems.org/forum...h.php?searchid=1256678

01/16/2006 07:50 PM

Author Icon
bp1019

QUOTE(Nosferatu_uk @ Jan 16 2006, 07:14 PM)aah didn't give it a thought to run the heatsink directly on chip .. that sounds like a plan mate cheers!

Yeah the superglue is the tricky bit lol craft knife should do it .. something tells me it was a stupid idea to glue it back on. :/ aah well! I shall give it a shot and keep ya updated /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />
[right][snapback]596520[/snapback][/right]

Don't run that heatsink bare on top of your chip, you can damage it. Get some thermal paste and put it on the top of the CPU and then put the heatsink on it. (the thermal grease will tell you how, make sure you clean that pad off the heatsink first).

-Proud owner of a DFI because chicks dig "Big" OCs
Repsgaminglounge
 01/16/2006 08:00 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

yeah.. thats why I gave a few links for reading.. they go into all that stuff in detail.

I guess I shoulda pointed out what the heck i was linking too.. but was feelin a tad lazy /blush.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='blush.gif' />

01/16/2006 08:24 PM

Author Icon
bp1019

QUOTE(zeppelinrox @ Jan 16 2006, 06:24 PM)well at this point, you would be better off just leaving it off and just install the cooler directly onto the cpu.
[right][snapback]596472[/snapback][/right]

You said right there to not put thermal grease on it. You linked to forums about removing the IHS, he doesn't want to do that, he just wants to know about the stock thermal pad thats on his heatsink.

Nosferatu_uk: get some thermal grease and clean off the heatsink and apply the thermal paste to the CPU then install the heatsink.

Repsgaminglounge
 01/16/2006 08:32 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

oh darn yeah taken out of context thats what it says.

but in the proper context as i meant it to be, i was just meaning that he can just do away with the plate and it wasn't a step by step procedure "how to" sort of message

EDIT: i did not say "do not put thermal grease". also, he in fact does know that thermal grease is needed as he mentioned that he used it in his first post. I did not feel it necessary to tell him something that he already knew anyhow.

01/16/2006 08:40 PM

Author Icon
bp1019

Yeah, but you got to make sure that you tell him to put thermal grease on the CPU or heatsink because from what he said he thought you meant to run the heatsink on the CPU with no grease or anything, which would be very bad.

Repsgaminglounge
 01/16/2006 08:46 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

you're right that I should not assume that he would know to put the thermal grease on the cpu even tho he knew to put it on the IHS /blush.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='blush.gif' />

01/16/2006 09:59 PM

Author Icon
Cow187

The reason your CPU was over heating is because of your fanless heatsink.

Even the latest AMD64 90nm CPUS like the Venice and San Diego core, your CPU will over heat with a fanless CPU cooler, even with good airflow.

You have the older 130nm core (Newcastle by the looks of it) which runs hotter, and has a higher Vcore, and will over heat even more with a fanless heatsink.

For an AMD64 you need ACTIVE cooling.

AMD64 3500+ Newcastle
Asus A8V Deluxe
2x512mb DDR400
ATI X850 Pro @ X850 XT
NEC 3500 16x DVD
470W Enermax Noisetaker
Viewsonic VP171b 17" 8ms LCD
 01/16/2006 10:35 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

one of the posts i read at xtremesystems did say that if they tried to replace the IHS after taking it off, the cpu would extremely hot.
I think that was a bigger factor.
however, fanless is not what i would go for. It is quiet, but not as effective active cooling

01/17/2006 08:35 PM

Author Icon
Cow187

His was overheating before the IHS came off.

Won't conventional heatsinks not fit on the CPU with out the IHS though? I would think you'd need to make yourself a special mounting, being extremely careful not to crack the core, like they have to do with the socket 754 Turions and mobile AMD64s on a desktop system.

You can easily get a light cooler (passive heatsinks tend to be huge to try and cope with the lack of fan) and put a slow spinning 120mm fan on it, and be nearly silent with twice the cooling efficiency.

AMD64 3500+ Newcastle
Asus A8V Deluxe
2x512mb DDR400
ATI X850 Pro @ X850 XT
NEC 3500 16x DVD
470W Enermax Noisetaker
Viewsonic VP171b 17" 8ms LCD
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information