Increase font size
Topic Title: System won´t post
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/22/2006 09:30 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/22/2006 09:30 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
muanda

HI:

Last night I rolled back my BIOS from ver 1017 to ver 1006. After inserting the floppy with the BIOS I wanted the flashing was going normally until a warning appeared saying that the bootlock ver was 13 and I was installing a bootlock ver 4, but I needed to go on with the flashing process or the system would not boot. After completing the flashing process and restarting my PC the system won't boot. I have three questions.

1- I looked into my PC and one of my RAM sticks is fully lit (They have led indicators) but the other only lights up two yellow LED's, can a faulty RAM stick prevent your PC from booting?

2- What are the necessary steps to resest CMOS? I have read here that doing this can help boot an unbootable PC, but I have never done it and I would need a CMOS reseting for dummies guide because I am a newbie.

3- After trying to boot the PC y turned the PSU off and then, stupid me, pressed the power button on the case. The LED's lit for a second and the fans spun for a second and then everything went quiet (Obviously, the PSU was off, how could anything run?). Can this sort of mistake fry my CPU or my PC components, or it is not enough power to do any harm?

Thankyou for any help you provide.

-------------------------
Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 "San Diego"
2x512 MB Corsair XMS Pro Series 400DDR RAM
<
 02/22/2006 10:22 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

Going through your questions in order.
1) It is possible, but I think you have a boot problem.
2) I would try this first, pull the battery from the motherboard for a few minutes and then replace it. Try booting up. If this doesnt work try removing all but one stick of ram.
3) my guess is the bios may be corrupted beyond repair, and that you will need a replacement bios chip. But what you could do is first try removing the CPU and booting up the motherboard, see if you can even get in.
 02/22/2006 09:09 PM

Author Icon
muanda

Thankyou bvchurch for your help. I reseted the CMOS and removed the bad memory stick and evrything is peachy. What I have to do now is check if the stick is bad or if what is bad is the Mobo. But everything at due time...

-------------------------
Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 "San Diego"
2x512 MB Corsair XMS Pro Series 400DDR RAM
<
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information