Increase font size
Topic Title: Help!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/25/2006 10:40 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/25/2006 10:40 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
King Tygr

Ok, I've been working on computers since having a 66 mhz 486 dx and 16 megs of ram was a fast system but i've been out of the game for a little while now and i'm having trouble understanding some of this new crap.

I'm running athlon 64 venice 3200+ and orignally an msi k8n neo 2 platinum board. I made the mistake of not reading the manual all the way through and after having the system runnig great with 2 512 sticks of ddr400 i dropped in a third one. turns out this is bad. I had never heard of 3 sticks of ram being able to wreak havoc but in this system it did.

First question, is that 3 stick rule only for the msi boards or is it a property of the new 64 bit cpus with their built in memory controllers?

Second, I thought i had damaged the proc so i got a new one and installed it in a new mb with my 2 512's (possibly now damagedsticks) yet it still gives me the same BSOD when booting windows with a page fault in a non paged area. I thought that was impossinble so i swaped the ram for the 3rd stick i had put in previously of 256 double sided, still the same result, then tried just a fourth stick that never went in of 256 single sided and it STILL gave me the same BSOD.

Could the 2 512's have damaged this new proc? it doesn't seem possible but i'm not sure.

If the first proc really is damaged now could it have damaged the 4th stick of ram?

one last thing that i noticed (and I haven't played with all the bios settings yet with this new proc but i did with the old one) is that on all my memory configurations 1/4 of the size dissapears. so when system is POSTing instead of 256 you'll see 190 something, instead of 1gb you'll see 760 ish.

What the heck is going on and what can i do?

Thanks in advance!
 01/25/2006 11:31 PM

Author Icon
King Tygr

Will some one PLEASE help me? i don't want to sound the prat but i'm kind of annoyed that all these other posts are being answered yet mine just get's ignored. I really need help on this, so i'm begging someone please help me!
 01/25/2006 11:37 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

perhaps when you put the 3rd stick of ram in, it messed up bios settings or the bios is now expecting certain hardware but it never finds it.

with only 1 stick of ram in, go into bios and load failsafe defaults

reboot and see if you still get the bsod

-------------------------

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 01/26/2006 09:56 AM

Author Icon
King Tygr

It's in a new motherboard. I've tried resetting the BIOS, i've tried four different memory sticks, (though i finally found out why the memory being reported is different than i expect it to be, it has onboard video)

basically it will do the exact same thing in all configurations with two motherboards (both MSI, I have an asus but i think the bios is outdated or something), two venice 3200+ procs, and four memory sticks all in different combos

You can start the install of windows xp pro just fine but as soon as it tries to actually boot windows it gives a page fault in a non paged area with the message stop: 0x00000050 (or however many zeres there are before the 50 at the end) and then a memory address (NxNNNNNNNN, NxNNNNNNNNN, NxNNNNNNNNN)

and then it does a memory dump.

I thought I had ruined my proc before when i put three sticks in since MSI seems to not like that so it'll break something if you do, but since it's doing the exact same thing in a brand new mb with a brand new proc I'm thinking there's something more sinister going on here, like microsoft...
 01/26/2006 11:57 AM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

which hardware is constant?
power supply , graphics card.. etc...

this is just a shot, but this does happen often, the install CD may be scratched or smudged, or the CD drive itself may be wonky.

either way, cd read errors will give bsods during installation.

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 01/26/2006 12:39 PM

Author Icon
King Tygr

cd is immaculate, the powersupply is brand new, dual rail, all voltages are great on it 9checked with high accuracy digital meter), cd drive has never given me any problems.

After looking around a bit more it's starting to sound like the system core files kept in the non paged area might have become corrupted when the 3rd stick was added and then got copied back to the hard drive. this would cause a page fault in this instance, and since i haven't tried a full format and clean install it could be that the corrupt files just keep being reused. I'm going to try another hard drive with a clean install to see if it's the software at fault rather than the hardware.
 01/26/2006 12:46 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

01/27/2006 10:50 AM

Author Icon
King Tygr

Yup, it was windows. put a spare 4 gig hd in and loaded xp pro and it worked great, tested all my combonations and they're all fine, did a clean install rather than a repair this time on my 160 gig drive and it works like a charm.

So now i've got 2 spare mb's and 1 spare proc, none of which I can return. (sigh) Someday we will invent computers that just fix themselves...
 01/27/2006 04:15 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

ebay /smile.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='smile.gif' />

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information