Increase font size
Topic Title: Problem, amd 3500+
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/31/2006 02:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/31/2006 02:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Mandelain

hi all

i have a couple of questions really, first and foremost, i am trying to update the driver for my processor (amd 64 3500+ 939 socket) i currently have 1.1.0.0. i have downloaded the EXE and it is telling me that i should uninstall the driver i am currently using before installing the new one (1.2.2.2). my question is this:

if i uninstall my driver will the computer 'die'?

secondly i have also got a problem with my RAM, i have an ABIT AN8 motherboard and DIMM slots 3 and 4 are not working, i have contacted ABIT and they say that there is something with the processor that meant the last 2 slots are unavailable for expansion. as i have the basic driver i was wondering if this problem has been sorted in subsequent releases or if it is still an onging problem.

my full spec is below before people ask for it :

AMD 64 3500+ 939skt
ABIT AN8 (recomended amd mobo)
1gig RAM (currently 512, am looking into that too, (2*512 sticks)
2*40gig HDD (Seagate i think)
Nvidea GeForce 6600GT PCI-E
Some rubbishy DVD RW

i am currenlty in the process of upgrading to a Antec TruePower II 550W psu and 2*80 gig SATA HDDs

any help would be absolutly fantastic

thanks

mand

01/31/2006 05:16 PM

Author Icon
zeppelinrox

well it won't die. the installation program should uninstall the old one then then install the new one immediately afterwards.

i dunno about your ram situation because each motherboard has different "quirks"

but pretty much all of them will slow down your ram to DDR333 or even DDR200 speeds.

i would suggest to run 2 x 1 gig matched sticks. thats more than enough ram and it will run at full speed and dual channel

-------------------------

Overclocking Help and Links . Why DRM, BluRay and HD-DVD Blow Great tools-> OC Bible v1.52 and Guidemania v1.2
 02/01/2006 07:47 AM

Author Icon
Mandelain

quote:

Originally posted by: zeppelinrox
well it won't die. the installation program should uninstall the old one then then install the new one immediately afterwards.

this is the issue, the program will not do what i was expecting and uninstall the driver automatially, i was wondering if i uninstalled the driver manually what would happen?

on second thoughts that does answer my question, the system must be able to survive, otherwise the system would die when you run the EXE!

thanks
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information