Increase font size
Topic Title: new xp install with 200 gig sata drive
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/15/2004 01:20 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/15/2004 01:20 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zxoltar

ok have finally got all the parts for my pc, everything went together just fine, was able to update the bios etc.

put in my winxp cd, hit f6 when it asks, have my via drivers on floppy, it loads those up then when i select to install in the partition, it then goes to format.

when it does this it goes to 100% and dies, after about 20 min. I then get a message that it could not be formatted and that the drive could be corrupt or something.

anyone have any suggestions or had this happen before. have been screwing with this for the last few days and frankly am near giving up and just say screw it.

also this evening, when the pc is on, i get this high pitched tone coming from the pc, it wasn't there yesterday, and it fades in and out, and have no clue where it is coming from, as I have no case speaker.

-------------------------

LVSeminole says: "Prescott does have its uses tho.....1:its the butt of alot of jokes....2:Its a 2-in-1 thing....CPU/Space heater."
Folding for team 34106' ">http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/
 03/15/2004 11:13 AM

Author Icon
zxoltar

for the heck of it i disconnected the hard drive and just booted up into bios and let sit there for an hour or so, had none of that stupid sound anymore. Plugged in the hard drive again, and that high pitched sound from [content edited] is back

Ordered another Hard drive and hope it gets here soon and will see if it works.

and if it does then I have an rma to send back for a refund.

LVSeminole says: "Prescott does have its uses tho.....1:its the butt of alot of jokes....2:Its a 2-in-1 thing....CPU/Space heater."
 03/16/2004 10:58 AM

Author Icon
moseng

Sounds like you're on the right track. Just in case, you might want to make sure no RAID stuff is in the way. Meaning if anything RAID wise is enabled, it may be looking for that second drive. Just a thought, but as I said it sounds like you have sovled the problem.
 03/16/2004 11:17 AM

Author Icon
zxoltar

took it off the via controller, and put it on the promise controller, with the promise controller set to ide to force it to standalone drive and not raid, and the drive does the same thing, just lets out this horrible high pitched tone, and xp setup is unable to format. found on WD's site that this sound is sign that drive has failed, followed there troubleshooting procedure and it is the drive that is bad.

my new drive should arrive tomorrow. at least i hope so.

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information