Increase font size
Topic Title: Upgraded from A64 3000+ to A64 3200
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/07/2007 12:10 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/07/2007 12:10 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
deesee

Hello all,

I just purchased the Athlon 64 3200+ 2.2 GHz from newegg.com to replace my Athlon 64 3000. There was nothing wrong with the old chip, I just wanted to get an upgraded processor, that's all.

Anyway, the install went fine.

Then, when I turned on the computer for the first time, it took like 20 minutes to boot up!! During that time, just hitting the Windows key on the keyboard (and getting the Start Menu to pop up) took 2 - 3 minutes.

I went to Control Panel>System and I noticed something strange. It recognizes the new chip, but says I only have 256 MB (that's right Megabytes) of RAM. I actually have 2 GB of RAM. CPU-Z shows the RAM amount correctly.

I don't know what's going on. I'm posting this topic on my laptop since my desktop is all but unusable.

Some specs:

MoBoard: Gigabyte GA-K8N Pro (K8 Triton Series)
Video: PNY GeForce 6600 AGP8x 256 MB DDR
RAM: 2 GB

Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks!
 03/07/2007 12:51 AM

Author Icon
deesee

Hey all,

I just switched back to my old chip and the RAM reads correctly on the boot up screen and the system works just like it always did.

What could be causing this? Did I purchase a bad chip?

Thanks.
 03/07/2007 03:44 AM

Author Icon
zir_blazer
Code Warrior

It could be because the Heatsink was incorrectly installed and the Processor was using Thermal Throttling due to extreme temperatures, or a conflictive BIOS setting that could probabily have requiered resseting the BIOS via the Clear CMOS Jumper or upgrading the BIOS (Highly unprobable).
About the upgrade itself, it is ENTIRELY POINTLESS. 200 MHz are almost non noticeable (And easily overclockeable), but the 80-100 dollars that you have payed for the Processor are. I wouldn't suggest doing anything less than a moderate jump.
 03/07/2007 02:06 PM

Author Icon
deesee

Thanks for the help Zir Blazer. You're probably right about doing the upgrade in the first place, but what the heck...what's done is done.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information