Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon 64 3700+ runs way too slow
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/08/2007 12:38 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/08/2007 12:38 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
njStryfe

Hello,

Today (that is: tonight) I have upgraded my computer with a new mainboard and CPU. My old Elitegroup K7S5A with a SiS735 went for a Elitegroup KV2 Lite (Via K8T800 Pro). My Athlon XP 2200+ was replaced with said Athlon 64 3700+ (San Diego).

I completely reinstalled my OS (XP). Unfortunately the system is way too slow, slower than before. For example, using Rightmark Light I had an average 5,5 frames before, now I have around 5 frames.

I installed the CPU drivers, and every tool I use (AMD, CPU-Z, Sandra) identifies it correctly. It appears to be running at full 2200 MHz constantly, at a cool 40 degree. It's just performing badly. OS is XP (32 Bit). If you need any more information to help, please ask.

Thanks in advance,

-nate-
 02/08/2007 04:38 AM

Author Icon
geezer_wheelz
Elite

quote:

Originally posted by: njStryfe
Hello,

Today (that is: tonight) I have upgraded my computer with a new mainboard and CPU. My old Elitegroup K7S5A with a SiS735 went for a Elitegroup KV2 Lite (Via K8T800 Pro). My Athlon XP 2200+ was replaced with said Athlon 64 3700+ (San Diego).

I completely reinstalled my OS (XP). Unfortunately the system is way too slow, slower than before. For example, using Rightmark Light I had an average 5,5 frames before, now I have around 5 frames.

I installed the CPU drivers, and every tool I use (AMD, CPU-Z, Sandra) identifies it correctly. It appears to be running at full 2200 MHz constantly, at a cool 40 degree. It's just performing badly. OS is XP (32 Bit). If you need any more information to help, please ask.

Thanks in advance,

-nate-

Are you judging your slow machine on a benchmark only? How old is the benchmark? If you are then the rest is for you.

I too just upgraded from socket 462 to socket 939, a mobile Barton 2500+ to a 3500+
I ran 3D mark 2001 and had dismal numbers, way less than my old system is getting right now. 9000 points less than the socket 462 system to be exact!!

Turns out you should not run new equipment on old benchmark programs, you never get an accurate reading.

How long is it taking to boot up? (25 sec. here with FULL software load)
How much ram do you have? What kind of ram?
What kind of power supply do you have and the specs?
what hard drive do you have?

-------------------------
Asus M4A79 Deluxe, Phenom II 940 BE, 20,770 3D06

Asus Moderator ~ My CPU Overheating Guide
 02/08/2007 04:49 AM

Author Icon
njStryfe

Well, furhter sacrificing sleep I ran some more tests. The CPU-Parts of 3DMark 03 and 05 show considerable growth in performance (factor 2.5 to 3). The Heavy-Rain-HD-Trailer now runs lipsynch, after I installed three huge packages of codecs. Also, SiSoftware Sandra offers Arithmetic and Multimedia Benches for CPUs along with reference numbers for several dozen CPUs. My 3700+ is a good chunk better than a 3200+, which it should be.

So right now I'd say everything looks fine.

Thanks for answering, though.

-njStryfe-
 02/08/2007 05:22 AM

Author Icon
tazwegion

quote:

Originally posted by: geezer I too just upgraded from socket 462 to socket 939, a mobile Barton 2500+ to a 3500+
I ran 3D mark 2001 and had dismal numbers, way less than my old system is getting right now. 9000 points less than the socket 462 system to be exact!!

Turns out you should not run new equipment on old benchmark programs, you never get an accurate reading.

I sometimes use an old CPU testing routine called CPUmark99, I get consistantly higher scores each upgrade I build ie. Barton 2500+ @ 2.2Ghz 210 points IIRC... now with my 3700+ I get around 270 points from raw computation power increases

As already stated don't base you opinion on a simple benchmark score, real life performance is where it's at, personally I've noticed huge improvements in my F@H crunching power

No offence intended, but why stick with Elitegroup/ECS/PC Chips products?

EDIT: If you going to OC that thing, you may enjoy reading this review over @ epinions.com regarding this ECS platform

02/08/2007 07:40 AM

Author Icon
elite_athlon

My upgrade from 2800+ to 3700+ was nothing but good.
one bar on the boot screen

Join a real forum - http://www.compsupportforums.com/
 02/08/2007 12:45 PM

Author Icon
njStryfe

quote:

Originally posted by: tazwegion
No offence intended, but why stick with Elitegroup/ECS/PC Chips products?

Because it was the only Socket 939 AGP Board my local dealer still offered, and my attempt at mail order resulted in the usual "Yes we're posting today... Yes we're posting today... Why, yes, we're definitely posting today"-delay. That would have been an MSI.

Oh, what the heck, this is just a temporary solution anyway. My C2D-8800GTS-System is acomin'. It's just taking it's sweet time.

-njStryfe-
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information