Increase font size
Topic Title: Upgrading 3500+ to 4000+
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/09/2007 04:38 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/09/2007 04:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jam77

Hello,

I recently bought a 4000+ chip to install into my machine which is currently running a 3500+. This will be my first installation of a CPU. I have installed vid cards and memory only, and have a couple of questions:

1) Will this chip run well on the factory fan that is currently cooling the 3500?
2) Do I need to install a new heatsink or can the old one work just as well?

I was informed by a "Geek Squad" member at BestBuy that the old CPU fan would be sufficient to cool the 4000+. I do not plan on doing any overclocking or anything so I wanted to confirm this before I tried anything.

If anyone has any thoughts one these questions or suggestions on how to go about doing this it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

J
 02/09/2007 04:50 PM

Author Icon
EdG

You will need to at least clean the bottom of the heatsink and re-apply a new thermal pad or a very small amount of thermal paste.

AMD Video: How to Install or Remove AMD64 heatsink

Some tips on applying thermal paste using Artic Silver

Not really sure what the differences are if any between the heatsinks of the 3500+ and a 4000+, I would just keep an eye on the CPU temp. For max CPU temps you can look up the specs here.
 02/09/2007 05:06 PM

Author Icon
jam77

Thanks for the quick reply! That webpage helps immensely, thanks so much. I have a question about the specs though. I looked for the differences between the two processors and found that the wattage for the 3500 was either 67 watts or 89 watts. The wattage for the 4000+ was 89 across the board. How do I find out what type of 3500 chip i have? The options at this site: http://www.amdcompare.com/us-e...ktop/default.aspx#grid included three things that I didn't know about:

1) Stepping
2) Wattage
3) Manufacturing Tech (CMOS).

How do I determine what these are? I have an Emachines T6524 for what that is worth.

Thanks!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information