Increase font size
Topic Title: computer locksup reboots spontaneously
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/11/2007 11:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/11/2007 11:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
infraredted

Hello, I have a HP Pavilion Media Center m7050e with an AMD 64 3800+ processor and a gig of memory. I have been suffering from random system lockups and spontaneous reboots for the past 6 months. The box has been sent back to HP 4 times now and they have replaced the motherboard (twice), memory (twice), hard drive (once, the most recent return), the DVD+R/RW and everytime they have wiped the hard drive, reinstalled Windows XP and the problem still persists. I got the machine back last week and it started locking up shortly after I started running it. It can go for hours with apparently no problem and then randomly lock no matter what I am or am not doing. I have always maintained that I thought that from a lay perspective mt PSU might be faulty but they have never replaced it and other than stating on the return sheets that CPU Fan/System Fan was tested and passed. Would it behoove me to get a new power supply and install it to see if it would rectify the problem? Also, I have a wireless HP keyboard/mouse combo with a separate controller and infrared unit, could this result in lockups? Would a wired mouse & keyboard make any difference. It seems that would be the only other thing that hasn't been replaced. Again, this can happen with nothing other than the monitor, keyboard/mouse, speakers, and cable connection plugged in and no other peripherals. I don't know how many more times I can mail this back to HP without going insane. Thanks for any help.
 02/11/2007 04:27 PM

Author Icon
MrHyde03
Code Monkey

since they have replaced almost everything else, it would seem to me that its the PSU at fault. see if you can borrow a friends PSU and test it before you go out and buy a new one.

-------------------------
Desktop - Windows 7 x86 RTM
Laptop - Windows 7 x64 RTM
The good ol days
CSF www.compsupportforums.com
 02/11/2007 07:55 PM

Author Icon
tazwegion

Alternatively... use a Digital Multimeter and test the voltage @ the P4 & ATX power connectors during POST & running @ 100% load, if you could recreate the reboot/lockup error with DMM insitu, it'd give a definite answer to whether your PSU was/is cactus or not

Look for low voltage & significant fluctuations on the rails/lines, out of curiousity what brand/breed of PSU are HP using in that model?

Additionally, as I don't have any experience with wireless mouses & keyboards, I don't know what effect a faulty component would display, however if you could lay your hands on some old school PS2 user input devices (keyboard/mouse) you could try them also and either elminate them from the possible causes, or cure the issue

02/14/2007 08:07 AM

Author Icon
infraredted

I bought a good Logitech wired mouse/keyboard combo and the machine still locks up for no known reason. I don't hear any noise coming from the box like the it's overheating and the fans are working overtime and it does actually very quite. On its last return from Hp they replaced the following with:

SATA HDD 160GB 7200 ROM Quiet
ALBACORE M/B AMD939CPU
DVD+R/RW 40X/32X/48X/16X
DDR400 DIMM QIMONDA 512MB

Since receiving it back from repair, I've installed nothing but Norton Internet Security (which seems to be working fine), WinPatrol, and my Epson 2200 printer. Other than that it's just the wired mouse/keyboard combo, the monitor and the speakers. I'm stymied. Does everything point to the power supply before I take the plunge and buy another?
 02/14/2007 08:15 AM

Author Icon
DoctorWHO

You will be surprised to learn how many bad things can be caused by a faulty or insufficient power supply unit.
Computer resetting .... blue screens ... windows errors ..... and hardware faults.

AMD 64 X2 4200+ Manchester
GA-K8NXP-SLI 939 Rev-F11
1Gig Kingston PC3200 - 1Gig OCZ PC3200
CL 2.5-3-3-6
1T+ HDD
320+250+200+(120x2)
LG DVDRAM GSA 4163B DL
Asus EN7900GS
Antec True Power Trio 550W PSU
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information